Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Orcworm's SMP Server

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to Orcworm's Minecraft SMP Server, located at: orcworm.co.uk

5 posters

A Dance with Dragons - 12 July 2011

FillerB
    FillerB
    So long and thanks for all the fish!

A Dance with Dragons - 12 July 2011 Empty A Dance with Dragons - 12 July 2011

Post by FillerB 2011-03-04, 02:05

DRAGON TIME

No. Sorry. Not done yet.

I'm close, though. Watch this space. When the book is done, you will read it here.

Meanwhile... there is news. Big news. The end is in sight, at long long last, and we're close enough so that my editors and publishers at Bantam Spectra have set an actual publication date.

A DANCE WITH DRAGONS will be in your favorite bookstore on

TUESDAY, JULY 12, 2011

Yes, I know. You've all seen publication dates before: dates in 2007, 2008, 2009. None of those were ever hard dates, however. Most of them... well, call it wishful thinking, boundless optimism, cockeyed dreams, honest mistakes, whatever you like.

This date is different. This date is real.

Barring tsunamis, general strikes, world wars, or asteroid strikes, you will have the novel in your hands on July 12. I hope you like it.

(For what it's worth, the book's a monster. Think A STORM OF SWORDS.)

The dragons are coming. Prepare to dance.

And hey... thanks for waiting.
    ―George R.R. Martin, March 3, 2011

I doubt most of you illiterate book hating bastards give a rats ass about this news, but I've been literally been waiting years for it. Promised to be released soon after A FEAST FOR CROWS (late 2006), it is finally here and it's about motherfucking time.
    Rulyon
    Rulyon
    Donator
    Donator

A Dance with Dragons - 12 July 2011 Empty Re: A Dance with Dragons - 12 July 2011

Post by Rulyon 2011-03-04, 04:59

Dragons? *want* Never heard of this author before, but anything involving dragons is good news to me.

Terry Goodkind's latest book is due out this year too. I'm looking forward to that one.
    FillerB
    FillerB

A Dance with Dragons - 12 July 2011 Empty Re: A Dance with Dragons - 12 July 2011

Post by FillerB 2011-03-04, 05:32

It isn't about dragons really. They (and their master/keeper) are just one of the many, many sideplots.
    A Song of Ice and Fire follows three principal storylines, divided by geography and participants.

The first storyline, set in the Seven Kingdoms themselves, chronicles a many-sided struggle for the Iron Throne that develops after King Robert's death. The throne is claimed by his son Joffrey, supported by his mother's powerful family, House Lannister. However, Lord Eddard Stark, King Robert's Hand, finds out Robert's children are illegitimate, and that the throne should therefore fall to Robert's unpopular eldest brother, Stannis. Robert's charismatic and popular youngest brother, Renly, also places a claim, openly disregarding the order of precedence, with the support of the powerful House Tyrell. While the claimants battle for the Iron Throne, Robb Stark, Lord Eddard Stark's heir, is proclaimed King in the North as the northmen and their allies in the Riverlands seek to return to self-rule. Likewise, Balon Greyjoy also (re-)claims the ancient throne of his own region, the Iron Islands, with an eye toward independence. This so-called War of the Five Kings is the principal storyline of the first four novels; indeed, the fourth novel primarily concerns Westeros's recovery from it in the face of the coming winter and the political machinations of those seeking to gain in its aftermath.

The second storyline is set on the extreme northern border of Westeros. Here, many thousands of years ago, a huge wall of ice and gravel was constructed by both magic and labor to defend Westeros from the threat of The Others, a race of now-mythical creatures living in the uttermost north. This Wall, 300 miles (480 km) long and 700 feet (210 m) tall, is defended and maintained by the Sworn Brotherhood of the Night's Watch, whose duty is to guard the kingdom against the Others. By the time of the novels, the Others have not been seen in over 8,000 years, and the Night's Watch has devolved into essentially a penal colony: it is badly under-strength, manned primarily by criminals and refugees with only a few knights or men of honor to stiffen them, and spends most of its time dealing with the human "wildlings" or "free folk" who live beyond the Wall. This storyline is told primarily through the eyes of Jon Snow, bastard son of Eddard Stark, as he rises through the ranks of the Watch, learns the true nature of the threat from the north, and prepares to defend the realm even though the people of Westeros are too busy warring to send support. By the end of the third volume, this storyline is somewhat entangled with the civil war to the south.

The third storyline is set on the huge eastern continent of Essos, across the narrow sea, and follows the adventures of Daenerys Targaryen, the last scion of House Targaryen and another claimant to the Iron Throne. Daenerys's adventures showcase her growing ability as she rises from a pauper sold into a dynastic marriage to a barbarian warlord to a powerful and canny ruler in her own right. Her rise is aided by the birth of three dragons, creatures thought long extinct, from fossilized eggs given to her as wedding gifts. Because her family standard is the dragon, these creatures are of symbolic value before they have grown big enough to be of tactical use. Though her story is separated from the others by many thousands of miles, her stated goal is to reclaim the Iron Throne.

Read the wiki-article on the series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire) if you want to know more about it. Or wait a bit, the first book (A Game of Thrones) is being turned into a tv-series in a month or two.
    Jarvisd
    Jarvisd
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Jarvisd 2011-03-04, 17:22

Anyone who can get on the internet to the point of being on a forum site from the United States is not illiterate. Lol. I don't really know much about that author or his work I like to stick to science fiction or the classics. Right now I am reading "The Beach".
    Rulyon
    Rulyon
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Rulyon 2011-03-04, 18:30

Science Fiction / Fantasy or Romance, actually, for me. I'm current started on a new series (new for me, I mean, it's been around a while) The Dragon Riders of Pern. Just finished reading "The Sword of Truth" series by Terry Goodkind (for the seventh time) in preparation and anticipation of his next book featuring Richard and Kahlan. :-)

The preview you quoted intrigues me, Filler. You may have recruited a new reader to George R. R. Martin's work.
    Rendarg
    Rendarg
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Rendarg 2011-03-05, 04:14

Sounds surprisingly good. Didn't expect you to be the guy for fantasy books, filler.
    Seems to be a great fantasy universe, rich on detail. I'm currently all into warhammer, following the Gotrek & Felix series, Ghaunt's Ghosts and The Horus Heresy. Yeah i know, its not the same, different authors, at least in the horus heresy, but thats what i love about it. Its a universe that wasnt created by a single mind but instead from many people and ideas together. Every author contributes something to the universe.
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-03-05, 04:56

It isn't really that big on fantasy or magic. More politics and lots and lots of backstabbing.
    patrickfreed
    patrickfreed
    Forum Staff
    Forum Staff

Post by patrickfreed 2011-03-05, 07:14

And then there were none = the best book ever written
    Argument incoming
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-03-05, 07:16

The Agatha Christie novel? Haven't read that yet, what's it about?
    patrickfreed
    patrickfreed
    Forum Staff
    Forum Staff

Post by patrickfreed 2011-03-05, 07:40

Its the birth of the cliche "stuck on an island and one of us is the killer" it's just a masterpiece; all of her books are
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-03-05, 07:52

I'll pick it up next time I visit the library. Though knowing my local library I wouldn't be terribly suprised if they didn't have it.
    patrickfreed
    patrickfreed
    Forum Staff
    Forum Staff

Post by patrickfreed 2011-03-05, 08:43

FillerB wrote:I'll pick it up next time I visit the library. Though knowing my local library I wouldn't be terribly suprised if they didn't have it.
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] If you have an iDevice, I can format it for you, along with kindle, android, or any other ebook reading device. Very Happy
    Also, have you read the Hound of the Baskervilles?
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-03-05, 08:52

get yar fricking eBooks away from me. Books should be touched, smelled and fondled. Especially when they are old and have that delicious smell. Hmmmmmm.
    patrickfreed
    patrickfreed
    Forum Staff
    Forum Staff

Post by patrickfreed 2011-03-05, 08:55

I like all formats of books, even Audiobooks. To me, it's not how you read it, it's what you're reading.
    400th Post! 400th Post! 400th Post!
    Rulyon
    Rulyon
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Rulyon 2011-03-05, 19:18

FillerB wrote:get yar fricking eBooks away from me. Books should be touched, smelled and fondled. Especially when they are old and have that delicious smell. Hmmmmmm.

Amen, Filler! It's not the same when you can't turn the pages, missing the tactile part of it.

My preferred way to read is at night when Raechel's asleep, bundled up on the couch, wrapped in a blanket, reading by the light of a single candle in a dark room. Feet up on the couch, book rested on my knees, glass of Captain Morgan on the rocks. Complete and total immersion, that.

Hound of the Baskervilles was great. So was Tess of the D'Urbervilles (mispelled, can't remember), Moby Dick, Oliver Twist, and War and Peace.

Dispute my assertation on another thread, I started the Icewind Dale trilogy today, set in the Forgotten Realms universe. Couldn't find the other book I had intended to read.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-12, 22:54