Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Orcworm's SMP Server

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to Orcworm's Minecraft SMP Server, located at: orcworm.co.uk

+20
Vespasian
Grintendo
NeroTheDarklord
Zz_For_Dannnnn
FillerB
Gornemant
RumDoodle
phillies2008
MiniLink
strpr0wng
patrickfreed
paradox74
skoglol
darkxephos
Lizardman
Rendarg
Orcworm
Rulyon
PureCraft
Yarwood
24 posters

Complete Map Reset [Update 1.4]

Poll

Reset the map for Update 1.4

[ 21 ]
    Complete Map Reset [Update 1.4] - Page 3 Bar_left53%Complete Map Reset [Update 1.4] - Page 3 Bar_right [53%] 
    [ 19 ]
    Complete Map Reset [Update 1.4] - Page 3 Bar_left47%Complete Map Reset [Update 1.4] - Page 3 Bar_right [47%] 

Total Votes: 40
    Poll closed
    Lizardman
    Lizardman

Complete Map Reset [Update 1.4] - Page 3 Empty Re: Complete Map Reset [Update 1.4]

Post by Lizardman 2011-03-31, 05:54

Which is why a map restart is necessary.

Stuff runs out, people get bored and leave.
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Location : A secret location off the south side of the Erskine bridge

Complete Map Reset [Update 1.4] - Page 3 Empty Re: Complete Map Reset [Update 1.4]

Post by darkxephos 2011-03-31, 05:56

and i want to have a house for the first nnight or so instead of getting munched by zombies ,blown up by creepers and sniped by skellys ... cos trust me loads of people will ragequite from the server if they die every minute cos noone has anywhere to hide
    Yarwood
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Yarwood 2011-03-31, 05:57

darkxephos wrote:and i want to have a house for the first nnight or so instead of getting munched by zombies ,blown up by creepers and sniped by skellys ... cos trust me loads of people will ragequite from the server if they die every minute cos noone has anywhere to hide

Are you kidding me?
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-03-31, 05:57

Exactly. And for this reason i stay at my argument that the map should be changed and the economy reset, but only if people who worked hard or paid high prices of real life money gain the respect they deserve and be allowed to pack their stuff together and let them wander off to the new world with them.
    FillerB
    FillerB
    So long and thanks for all the fish!

Post by FillerB 2011-03-31, 05:58

The economy was fucked up looooong before custom drops and there have been talks about this whole thing before.

Copying zones including their contents _could_ be done, but I'm not promising anything, if all chest in those zones were emptied out. While I see why you guys would want this to be copied, I don't quite see why you could not just start over and make it even better. Is that not what Minecraft is all about? To throw a rather long quote from the sequel to one of my favourite B-movies ever:

Rocco: Men build things, then we die. It's in our fucking DNA! THAT'S WHAT WE DO!
    Murphy MacManus: And when it all falls down?
    Rocco: We build it right back up again.
    Connor MacManus: But this time bigger. BETTER!
    Rocco: Look! Look what we can do. Look how fuckin' beautiful we are. You think the men that built all this had it easy?
    Murphy MacManus: Hard men!
    Connor MacManus: Doing hard shit!
    Rocco: and that gives me a hard on... But not in a gay way or anything like that.
    Lizardman
    Lizardman

Post by Lizardman 2011-03-31, 05:58

That's why spawn city is being transferred to the new map. Spawn city is all that's getting moved to the new map (and hopefully the ONLY structure imported).
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Post by darkxephos 2011-03-31, 06:00

YarwoodUK wrote:
    darkxephos wrote:and i want to have a house for the first nnight or so instead of getting munched by zombies ,blown up by creepers and sniped by skellys ... cos trust me loads of people will ragequite from the server if they die every minute cos noone has anywhere to hide

Are you kidding me?

no im not ... people will ragequite if they join up and just get raped by mobs cos noone has anywhere to hide from them ... then the community drops to 0 and we all have to fuck off to the corners of our room and hunt for a new serevr
    patrickfreed
    patrickfreed
    Forum Staff
    Forum Staff

Post by patrickfreed 2011-03-31, 06:01

I've changed my mind after reading all this

However, can people still use their donator zones to form towns?
    Also, things like link's arena should be transferred over, not homes

I'm neutral about a restart at this point. -1 vote from no restart
    Gornemant
    Gornemant
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Gornemant 2011-03-31, 06:03

Orcworm wrote:
    Gornemant wrote:
    Orc: you could always upload the old world on a bunch of file sites, people can look up their creations in single player or just look around the old map if they feel like it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Don't ask why there's a gap in March... ;p.
    My bad, you already did it xD

Just 2 cents for the end:
    As for the economy being a little unbalanced: I've had good experience with the following configuration: 2 gils every 5 minutes, auto kick after 20 minutes of inactivity (also helps with server load! =D ), works great with money earning from mob killing.
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-03-31, 06:03

Filler if you want to argue at that level, keep in mind that people also feel a deep inner desire to protect their past. They want to have something to look at, knowing that this is what has been achived so far and acts an encouragement to continue.

The desire of people to protect their hard work is there, and no matter if a single individual things its good or bad, its just there and should be respected.
    Lizardman
    Lizardman

Post by Lizardman 2011-03-31, 06:03

patrickfreed wrote:I've changed my mind after reading all this

However, can people still use their donator zones to form towns?
    Also, things like link's arena should be transferred over, not homes

I'm neutral about a restart at this point. -1 vote from no restart

If you choose to use your zone on that, then I'm pretty sure you can. However, we're tinkering around with the idea of 5 major cities and the rest are small towns. But yes; your free zones are to be given back to you upon map reset.
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-03-31, 06:03

How did you survive your first night of Alpha/Beta? You punched a hole in the wall and crawled in to that like a little chicken.

Then again, providing (returning) players with a starter kit mind not be the worst of ideas. Would atleast signal that we aren't willing to just throw them before the wolfs. (We are btw)

Edit: goddamnit people stop posting so much
    Lizardman
    Lizardman

Post by Lizardman 2011-03-31, 06:05

Bullshite. It should be COMPLETELY new. Nada, zip, zilch items.

No starter items; punch dem trees like a man!
    Yarwood
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Yarwood 2011-03-31, 06:06

FillerB wrote:How did you survive your first night of Alpha/Beta? You punched a hole in the wall and crawled in to that like a little chicken.

Then again, providing (returning) players with a starter kit mind not be the worst of ideas. Would atleast signal that we aren't willing to just throw them before the wolfs. (We are btw)

Edit: goddamnit people stop posting so much

You beat me to it. Sad
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Post by darkxephos 2011-03-31, 06:07

the way i survived the first night ... i didnt ... i got blown up by creepers and sniped by skelly constantly ... i had to dig down and stay in the darkness then walk away from my computer for like 10 mins
    Lizardman
    Lizardman

Post by Lizardman 2011-03-31, 06:08

I dug dirt and stacked it in a giant pillar. :3
    Yarwood
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Yarwood 2011-03-31, 06:08

darkxephos wrote:the way i survived the first night ... i didnt ... i got blown up by creepers and sniped by skelly constantly ... i had to dig down and stay in the darkness then walk away from my computer for like 10 mins

Oh come on, I'm sure 10 minutes of day light is more than enough to get for example a stack of logs, wood, stone, torches.
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Post by darkxephos 2011-03-31, 06:09

im a very busy person why else do you think im on and off the server or just standing still for like 5 mins
    Lizardman
    Lizardman

Post by Lizardman 2011-03-31, 06:09

Cuz you're an idler? :3
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Post by darkxephos 2011-03-31, 06:10

no cos im constantly f***ing busy
    strpr0wng

Post by strpr0wng 2011-03-31, 06:11

You don't even have to collect coal any more, hooray for charcoal!
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-03-31, 06:12

Just a reminder before everyone get too worked up. This whole thing is a SUGGESTION. It is in no way final that there will be a wipe.
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Post by darkxephos 2011-03-31, 06:12

oh btw i can never remember how to make charcoal ... so haoow
    Lizardman
    Lizardman

Post by Lizardman 2011-03-31, 06:12

But it WOULD be nice if it happened. :3

Smelt logs
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-03-31, 06:17

darkxephos wrote:no cos im constantly f***ing busy
    People create their own problems...
    The first night i ever had in minecraft i built a tiny 3x3 house made of dirt and i couldnt see when the sun rose so it scared the shit out of me when i started hearing the monsters outdoors beeing close and doing weird sounds. I thought they were detected me and try to break my shelter.
    Vespasian
    Vespasian

Post by Vespasian 2011-03-31, 06:19

Lizardman wrote:Which is why a map restart is necessary.

Stuff runs out, people get bored and leave.

Easy to say when you've been here a fraction the length of time that most regular members have. Is there any indication that the server is running out of diamonds or something anytime soon? Hell, even if it was, just have the mobs drop more diamonds, why not? Who thought that creepers should drop diamond blocks and netherrack and everything anyway? Was a horrible idea.

I was recently on a different server, with about a half-dozen of the regulars from the Orcworm server. It was neat seeing a new server and all....until my iron pickaxe broke, and I realized what a huge pain in the ass and timesink it would be to start from scratch all over again. So I went back to the Orc server, where I had a base and money and resources and everything.

But if that map disappears, there's absolutely no reason to stick with Orc's server over another one for me.

FillerB wrote:Just a reminder before everyone get too worked up. This whole thing is a SUGGESTION. It is in no way final that there will be a wipe.

And until it's confirmed that there will be no wipe for at least several months, there is absolutely no point in doing anything in the server for me or my friends, since it could be magically removed at any time. It's like building something with Lego, only the Lego might disappear if a couple dozen people on a forum vote for it. Sound like fun?
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-03-31, 06:24

The whole server could be magically removed without prior notice at any time. Obviously it hasn't stopped anyone building for the past six months.
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Post by darkxephos 2011-03-31, 06:25

Vespasian wrote:And until it's confirmed that there will be no wipe for at least several months, there is absolutely no point in doing anything in the server for me or my friends

i did say people would give up with the server ... liz youre a good mod but trust me i know what im talking a bout
    Yarwood
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Yarwood 2011-03-31, 06:26

Darkxephos, please check your PM's. (Also for somebody who is "very busy", you've wasted 25 minutes here.. Razz )

I also agree that the server may be more appealing to new players if it were reset, because it wouldn't take them as long to find un-used area, other players dont have ridiculously more amount of money aswell as illegal items that they'll probably never gain.

And before you say it, I've been here since the start of this map and even helped build it, we've been losing players as the map progressed and got more clustered, although this could be due to the loss of hMod etc too.
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Post by darkxephos 2011-03-31, 06:31

i have checked my pms so please check yourse ... oh and i am multitasking ...
    Gornemant
    Gornemant
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Gornemant 2011-03-31, 06:31

No map is forever, don't think I've seen a server that kept a map for longer than a few months. Resets happen, and this map is a pretty old version too. <.<;
    patrickfreed
    patrickfreed
    Forum Staff
    Forum Staff

Post by patrickfreed 2011-03-31, 06:39

2 things

1) It is very easy to find diamonds and unused mining area, you just need to take a walk
    2) When we do reset it, whenever that may be, we should have a sign in spawn or something saying that the world will be reset sometime. Some people don't understand that things run out. You also won't have these arguments.
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Post by darkxephos 2011-03-31, 06:40

i have found plenty of diamonds and lapis so i agree with pat

Last edited by darkxephos on 2011-03-31, 06:46; edited 1 time in total
    patrickfreed
    patrickfreed
    Forum Staff
    Forum Staff

Post by patrickfreed 2011-03-31, 06:45

darkxephos wrote:i have found plenty of diamonds and lapis so i agree with pete
    You compare me with that vile creature? I'm honored Razz
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Post by darkxephos 2011-03-31, 06:46

oops sorry typo ill fix that now ...
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-03-31, 06:47

darkxephos wrote:
    Vespasian wrote:And until it's confirmed that there will be no wipe for at least several months, there is absolutely no point in doing anything in the server for me or my friends

i did say people would give up with the server ... liz youre a good mod but trust me i know what im talking a bout

Obviously you don't or you would see that a map reset is inevitable to happen. Maybe not next week or even next month, but it WILL happen one day. This has to my knowledge already has happened once before and lo and behold, there are still people playing. Sure, some people might ragequit. But why should we care? Really, all these treats about how people would quit isn't really all that shocking or threatening.
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

Post by PureCraft 2011-03-31, 06:48

Gotta love ppl without own opinions...
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Post by darkxephos 2011-03-31, 06:49

ok go with ythe map reset and watch the numbers fall and people complain ...
    Lizardman
    Lizardman

Post by Lizardman 2011-03-31, 06:50

It has to happen at some point. Yar estimated that it would be within the next 3 months anyway. That being said, why not just do it now so we can start working on it instead of wasting MORE time in a map that will be lost at some point?
    skoglol
    skoglol

Post by skoglol 2011-03-31, 06:51

While I do see the appeal of a new world, I am held back by the fact that me and ekkek just finished our mob trap. It took roughly 24-30 manhours to landscape, then plan and build, which is a lot. It has been operational for a day, then this is dropped on my head. There is also the issue of my obsidian castle, a result of a lot of obsidian mining. I used approx 40 stacks of obsidian during the construction. I dont really care about the items and gil, but it would be horrifying if all that construction work goes to waste.
    Lizardman
    Lizardman

Post by Lizardman 2011-03-31, 06:53

Again, your buildings may be transferred to your SSP.
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Post by darkxephos 2011-03-31, 06:54

did you not read what nero said ... about protecting our past ...
    Lizardman
    Lizardman

Post by Lizardman 2011-03-31, 06:57

That's why there's SSP. Your creations and their memories will be forever preserved there.
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Post by darkxephos 2011-03-31, 06:59

you clearly dont fully understand peoples primal instinct to show there achievemnts for all others to see do you
    Lizardman
    Lizardman

Post by Lizardman 2011-03-31, 07:01

You can make your own server with em by importing your SSP map if it REALLY means that much to you.
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Post by darkxephos 2011-03-31, 07:02

you fail at understanding :3
    maroon_potatoe

Post by maroon_potatoe 2011-03-31, 07:04

i believe a complete map reset(aside from some thisng i.e spawn) will actually make people eant to play more because it will be all new oh and everyone on ssp typ Glacier into the world seed code its awesome mabey use for the new map if possible? anyhow thats just my opinion
    Lizardman
    Lizardman

Post by Lizardman 2011-03-31, 07:04

They're sentimental to you. I hate to burst your bubble, but not many other people care about what you, myself or anyone created but the person themselves.
    Reality is harsh, ain't it?
    maroon_potatoe

Post by maroon_potatoe 2011-03-31, 07:06

Lizardman wrote:They're sentimental to you. I hate to burst your bubble, but not many other people care about what you, myself or anyone created but the person themselves.
    Reality is harsh, ain't it?

true but i think there should be a poll to decide what landmarks are kept things like the orc statue that have symbolic value
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Post by darkxephos 2011-03-31, 07:07

im not saying i want people to like what i make ... people just want to show off what they have even if noone notices it properly ... its primal to show who has the most and build a food chain ... realitys harsh ,aint it

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-20, 19:44