Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Orcworm's SMP Server

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to Orcworm's Minecraft SMP Server, located at: orcworm.co.uk

+15
Pete
Rulyon
Baldymoint7
Metalsmith
Orcworm
sadeyx
Yarwood
Krellyn
PureCraft
Jarvisd
Onlyme
Lizardman
digger191
aapl2
phillies2008
19 posters

Should the digging of 1x1 to the center of the freaking Earth to kill others be a bannable offence?

Poll

Should this be a bannable offence?

[ 12 ]
    Should the digging of 1x1 to the center of the freaking Earth to kill others be a bannable offence? Bar_left34%Should the digging of 1x1 to the center of the freaking Earth to kill others be a bannable offence? Bar_right [34%] 
    [ 23 ]
    Should the digging of 1x1 to the center of the freaking Earth to kill others be a bannable offence? Bar_left66%Should the digging of 1x1 to the center of the freaking Earth to kill others be a bannable offence? Bar_right [66%] 

Total Votes: 35
    phillies2008
    phillies2008

Should the digging of 1x1 to the center of the freaking Earth to kill others be a bannable offence? Empty Should the digging of 1x1 to the center of the freaking Earth to kill others be a bannable offence?

Post by phillies2008 2011-04-27, 13:18

Should the digging of 1x1 holes deep enough to kill a player be a bannable offence? It isn't really breaking any rules, but it's a major dick move. And the fact that a lot of newer players complain and beg for their items back. That's fucking annoying too. I've gone over the rules, and looked up the topic on the forums, and there was no discussion about this before, as far as I know.
    aapl2
    aapl2

Should the digging of 1x1 to the center of the freaking Earth to kill others be a bannable offence? Empty Re: Should the digging of 1x1 to the center of the freaking Earth to kill others be a bannable offence?

Post by aapl2 2011-04-27, 13:31

More detail please
    digger191

Should the digging of 1x1 to the center of the freaking Earth to kill others be a bannable offence? Empty Re: Should the digging of 1x1 to the center of the freaking Earth to kill others be a bannable offence?

Post by digger191 2011-04-27, 13:48

what he means is digging a 1x1x(lets say 20)

player walks over hole and falls to death

Lizardman
    Lizardman

Post by Lizardman 2011-04-27, 13:53

Fuck no. It's so lolzy when it happens.

Some dick munch did that to me outside my house on Worldly and I just lol'd. That was before I was mod, too. :3
    Onlyme
    Onlyme

Post by Onlyme 2011-04-27, 14:14

I vote no.

If you fall into a 1x1 hole, you are most likely not paying attention to where you walk. It's easy to find a hole that size... just don't do it!

As for the newbies falling into said holes and asking for stuff back... IT'S A SURVIVAL SERVER! PAY FRIGGIN ATTENTION TO WHERE YOU WALK, AND YOU WON'T DIE TO THESE!
    Jarvisd
    Jarvisd
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Jarvisd 2011-04-27, 14:38

Hiel, the stricter the rules the better.
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

Post by PureCraft 2011-04-27, 18:48

turn /god on, problem solved.
    Krellyn
    Krellyn

Post by Krellyn 2011-04-27, 21:27

PureCraft wrote:turn /god on, problem solved.

/thread

On-Topic: No, it shouldn't be a reason to ban someone. I mean, it's a Survival Multiplayer Server. I actually expect to see traps like these all around.
    Yarwood
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Yarwood 2011-04-27, 22:45

That gives me another idea for my "secret project"... Very Happy

P.S. What was your "Inappropriate signature image?"
    sadeyx

Post by sadeyx 2011-04-28, 01:44

hmmmm,

Honestly I could see this as a form of greiving.

A friend of mine was walking the wilderness, encounterd a half build structure and decided to place a few blocks of dirt as a way to find shelter for the night. He was banned for this... I understand that its against the rules, but it was an innocent mistake. It wasnt intentional greiving. just a mistake.

So how does someone who comes on to the server with the expressed, purposeful and intentional desire to grief by making this hole get away with it?... its not a hole that servers ANY other purpose.

So its a bit wrong where the rules punish an innocent player but rewards a player who is malicious?

The spirit of the rules is really to stop intentional grieving, If I were a mod and I investigated this and found that a guest was running around the world making these holes with no other intention than to grief then YES. He should be banned! if not to stop him then to deter others from finding grieving techniques which abide by the letter of the law but not the spirit of the law . bounce

Last edited by sadeyx on 2011-04-28, 01:47; edited 1 time in total
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-04-28, 01:46

The difference is that player A was 'griefing' the half-built structure by building on it, whilst player B wasn't griefing anything to begin with, unless we consider the environment to be another player...
    sadeyx

Post by sadeyx 2011-04-28, 01:54

Orcworm wrote:The difference is that player A was 'griefing' the half-built structure by building on it, whilst player B wasn't griefing anything to begin with, unless we consider the environment to be another player...

By the wording of your rules, yes. I agree.

But its about intent here. Do you want players on your server who want to play, or do you want players on your server who intend to grief ?

you should be very carfull about this, you could open up your server to everyone just making these holes for a laugh.

Take some time and think about it. I wouldnt make a 'ruling' on this specific thing. If you make it bannable then you will have more claims to process, if you make it legal then you expose yourself to other problems. Just defer to your general ruling about "grieving" If there is a complaint, look into it, if you determine that this person is up to no good then ban. If it appears to be innocent.. leave it.

If you start making rules about every specific thing then you give yourself and your mods more work.
    Lizardman
    Lizardman

Post by Lizardman 2011-04-28, 02:00

My opinion still stands.

Building/destroying the environment is one's own business. If you can make giant dirt penises, you could dig holes. :3
    Metalsmith
    Metalsmith

Post by Metalsmith 2011-04-28, 02:57

Not a hole. though the penis is related...
    Baldymoint7
    Baldymoint7

Post by Baldymoint7 2011-04-28, 06:45

I think that everyone should just get along with eachother and deal with things not complaining about every little thing that happens to you. I mean come on, Minecraft is an adventure...I rest my case.
    Rulyon
    Rulyon
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Rulyon 2011-04-28, 07:12

Lizardman wrote:My opinion still stands.

Building/destroying the environment is one's own business. If you can make giant dirt penises, you could dig holes. :3

I rollback any giant dirt penis I find in the world at large. I find them inappropriate.
    Pete
    Pete

Post by Pete 2011-04-28, 07:33

Anything against penises, Ruly?
    Vespasian
    Vespasian

Post by Vespasian 2011-04-28, 07:35

This thread makes me want to find phillie's house in game and dig expertly concealed pits around it.
    Rulyon
    Rulyon
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Rulyon 2011-04-28, 07:47

Well, having one myself, I don't object to them. But that doesn't mean I want to look at one in a video game.
    Imir31d
    Imir31d
    RP Moderator
    RP Moderator

Post by Imir31d 2011-04-28, 08:15

well im off to dig a 1 x 1 hjole guys be back in a bit... bedrock here i come!
    phillies2008
    phillies2008

Post by phillies2008 2011-04-28, 08:47

Vespasian wrote:This thread makes me want to find phillie's house in game and dig expertly concealed pits around it.

I just want to say, I'm not making this thread because I'm butthurt about falling in a hole Laughing
    It just dawned on me that there should be a discussion on this topic when someone wanted their items spawned back when they fell in someone's 1x1 hole, and overall, just spammed the chat. I'm not saying I'm against it or for it, but I do think it's just a bit of a dick move.
    Onlyme
    Onlyme

Post by Onlyme 2011-04-28, 09:15

phillies2008 wrote:
    Vespasian wrote:This thread makes me want to find phillie's house in game and dig expertly concealed pits around it.

I just want to say, I'm not making this thread because I'm butthurt about falling in a hole Laughing
    It just dawned on me that there should be a discussion on this topic when someone wanted their items spawned back when they fell in someone's 1x1 hole, and overall, just spammed the chat. I'm not saying I'm against it or for it, but I do think it's just a bit of a dick move.

It's that persons fault for spamming up chat, and expecting to get their stuff back for something that was clearly their fault.

They didn't watch where they were going, and fell into a deep hole.
    This is Survival here.
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-04-28, 09:23

Minecraft players will bitch and whine about anything, everything under the sun is our fault at some point. Sweeping generalizations I know.
    Ciphon
    Ciphon

Post by Ciphon 2011-04-28, 09:25

orcworm did you see my pm? its sort of important, and i dont know if you saw it or not, sorry for offtopicness sorta
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-04-28, 09:28

Yes, there isn't much we can do past manually rebuilding it, the problem happened on other servers as well so the plugin will be removed until an update is available.
    Ciphon
    Ciphon

Post by Ciphon 2011-04-28, 09:47

alright sounds good i guess... i just have a lot of glass to break now
    Vespasian
    Vespasian

Post by Vespasian 2011-04-28, 13:30

phillies2008 wrote:

Hence the creation of pits around your residence, to see if we can make you make another thread specifically about being butthurt from falling in holes Very Happy
    phillies2008
    phillies2008

Post by phillies2008 2011-04-29, 06:02

Vespasian wrote:
    phillies2008 wrote:

Hence the creation of pits around your residence, to see if we can make you make another thread specifically about being butthurt from falling in holes Very Happy

Clever bastard. Suspect
    LoliTastic
    LoliTastic

Should the digging of 1x1 to the center of the freaking Earth to kill others be a bannable offence? Empty Nope

Post by LoliTastic 2011-05-02, 03:29

I don't think so. People need to be careful where they walk. It's happened to me and I just learned to be careful after a while

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-09, 12:00