Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Orcworm's SMP Server

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to Orcworm's Minecraft SMP Server, located at: orcworm.co.uk

+11
GaMerG77
BUD_the_Slacker
Giygas
thebadhatter
Grintendo
patrickfreed
menaceofri
FillerB
aapl2
xbot668
NeroTheDarklord
15 posters

Acheron Suggestion Topic

NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Acheron Suggestion Topic Empty Acheron Suggestion Topic

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-06-03, 10:13

Since Acheron is done constructing, all plots have been sold and some inactive players have been removed, im pretty bored now. I dont have a lot of reason to stay online for long everday anymore.
    So here we go! Post your ideas and suggestions for Acheron here!
    I'd be very intressted to hear your ideas how to make the city of magic better!
    xbot668

Acheron Suggestion Topic Empty Re: Acheron Suggestion Topic

Post by xbot668 2011-06-11, 06:35

I have a few suggestions. I don't know how useful they are, or how they will be taken, but here they are.

1) Expansion to the city;Below: As ground level plots are complete there are a few ways to get more citizens for the city. The 1st would be to clear out an area below ground. Obviously it needs to be lower then the 4 block floor basement. So maybe set it down 10 blocks. Then make it encompass the whole city(out to where the tree rule signs are). It would probably be a good idea to make it 30 blocks in height to make room for people who want to buy 16 block height plots.(This idea I got from yogscast where they chase after israphel and there's a huge castle underground)

2)Expansion to city;above: This would probably cast the whole city in a shadow. Anyways. Make plots above the city. make them out of glass though to give the feeling of floating. I got this idea from the cool building floating above the city.

3)Community Project: Invite city members to help with either project, with the reward of a free plot(as long as they haven't met the 2 plots in the city limit) Also there could be a project to make a community farm, community mob spawners, community animal farm.

4) city of magic....where's the mages?: There's a cool story about mages, and while I realize that is suppose to be the 3 founders, it'd be cool to have 3 or 4 mage statues at each of the directions. Each one face a different direction(N,S,E,W) or are all facing each other with staffs connecting over the center of the city.
    aapl2
    aapl2

Post by aapl2 2011-06-11, 06:50

Id be willing to do some digging for 2doublechests of cobble
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-06-14, 07:10

xbot668 wrote:I have a few suggestions. I don't know how useful they are, or how they will be taken, but here they are.

1) Expansion to the city;Below: As ground level plots are complete there are a few ways to get more citizens for the city. The 1st would be to clear out an area below ground. Obviously it needs to be lower then the 4 block floor basement. So maybe set it down 10 blocks. Then make it encompass the whole city(out to where the tree rule signs are). It would probably be a good idea to make it 30 blocks in height to make room for people who want to buy 16 block height plots.(This idea I got from yogscast where they chase after israphel and there's a huge castle underground)

2)Expansion to city;above: This would probably cast the whole city in a shadow. Anyways. Make plots above the city. make them out of glass though to give the feeling of floating. I got this idea from the cool building floating above the city.

3)Community Project: Invite city members to help with either project, with the reward of a free plot(as long as they haven't met the 2 plots in the city limit) Also there could be a project to make a community farm, community mob spawners, community animal farm.

4) city of magic....where's the mages?: There's a cool story about mages, and while I realize that is suppose to be the 3 founders, it'd be cool to have 3 or 4 mage statues at each of the directions. Each one face a different direction(N,S,E,W) or are all facing each other with staffs connecting over the center of the city.

Ive read through your suggestions and here is what i can conclude:

Wer a city themed to be a magical forest city. The entire underground building story had been done by Eccenotcem, so that is already out of the question. Besides, the underground plots provide barely any light or magical feeling. It would be like you live in a dark cave, nothing more.

Ive had the idea of building one or multible floating levels above Acheron before, but as you correctly mentioned, it would cover the rest of the city in shadow, making the city overall less appealing looking.

But i do agree on you that the city should have a more magical look. I think we maybe focused too much on the forest theme and left out the magic a bit too much... we cant place statues around though.

the open ends of each mainstreet has a reason:
    one leads to the city mines,
    one leads to the nether gate,
    one leads to the open to welcome others,
    and on the last one, our railway station will be built.

If you have suggestions how to add more magic to Acheron, then go ahead and post them here
    FillerB
    FillerB
    So long and thanks for all the fish!

Post by FillerB 2011-06-14, 07:27

Let me interject that building _above_ the city might not be the wisest of choices given monster-spawning. Yes it is (or at least should be) possible to disable that, but it isn't all that pleasant to do.

Also let me remind you that it is possible to buy expansions to the city zone if so desired (conjectured price being around 2.5 ~ 3 gil per block with a minimum of 25x25 blocks)
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-06-14, 07:56

FillerB wrote:Let me interject that building _above_ the city might not be the wisest of choices given monster-spawning. Yes it is (or at least should be) possible to disable that, but it isn't all that pleasant to do.

Also let me remind you that it is possible to buy expansions to the city zone if so desired (conjectured price being around 2.5 ~ 3 gil per block with a minimum of 25x25 blocks)

Wer not sure if we want or even need to expand. I mean yeah the city is almost sold out again but if we kick inactive or banned players regulary, there will always be one or two plots open for sale.
    Furthermore, we do have the money to expand the city, that is really not the problem.
    The problem is the shape of the city... if we expand by another ring we would need the zone to be expanded evenly in size... lets say like 10 blocks in each direction for example.
    And we already placed stuff at the end of the main streets, so the streets are interrupted and wont continue beeing "mainstreets"past that point.
    Im afraid that the overall look and shape of Acheron would slightly lose quality and beauty if we keep expanding and building.
    menaceofri
    menaceofri

Post by menaceofri 2011-06-14, 08:01

Sometimes projects get finished in minecraft... move on?
    FillerB
    FillerB
    So long and thanks for all the fish!

Post by FillerB 2011-06-14, 08:21

.... Insert the Pony of your choice (aka Rarity) looking not amused here.

Might I suggest you start looking in the history/lore/whatever you want to call it, Menace. You might find it illuminating.

patrickfreed
    patrickfreed
    Forum Staff
    Forum Staff

Post by patrickfreed 2011-06-14, 08:30

Yeah menace, it is one of the "Major Cities" on the server...it doesn't just end Razz

Last edited by patrickfreed on 2011-06-14, 08:34; edited 1 time in total
    menaceofri
    menaceofri

Post by menaceofri 2011-06-14, 08:31

not sure what your comment means fillerb, or your staff note...

Not saying the city has to end, but there is only so much you can do with x-plots x-space. he isnt willing to expand down, or out as it will ruin the dynamic of the city. The city was just included into the railway system, he could be working on that, problem solved.
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-06-14, 09:10

This topic has been put up for no specific reason. It is mainly to gather information of what people think should be improved and acts as a collective topic for all Acheron related suggestions.
    Grintendo
    Grintendo
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Grintendo 2011-06-14, 09:39

I'd suggest adding some noticeable landmarks, i can't find of anything specific that would fit the theme, but like it says in the City Bio's, noticeable landmarks is one of them, and I'm unaware if Acheron has any of these?
    thebadhatter
    thebadhatter

Post by thebadhatter 2011-06-14, 11:25

Flesh out the city's history/back story/whatever? Give the place an identity and another dimension that'll make it stand out from the rest. "The City Of Magic" means nothing to me at the moment - I want stories, statues, monuments. Ruins of forgotten schools of wizardry and enchantment. Vast pillars of mossy stone left to crumble, now home only to the stray skeleton, the remnant of a summoning gone awry now wandering the halls of its long abandoned home...

Instead of low wooden huts, why not great, domineering spires of smooth, precisely cut stone? Grand torch lit stairways leading to tribunal chambers or a sparring chamber. Underground storerooms for when the town had come under siege by marauders from the mountains to the North some fifty years ago. Town walls. A mess hall and dormitories for conjurers' apprentices. Courtyards, apartments, parkways and pathways where young couples steal a few seconds of romance under the glowstone before their masters call them up for the next formality or lecture. A grand dining hall with huge oak tables laden with cakes and sweetbreads, with a kitchen attached where the furnaces are never cold. Mountaintop huts, for meditation, introversion and contacting higher spirits.

Perhaps a secret society of necromancers that operate in the periphery, a group of high ranking decadent elders who privately indulge in the dark arts beneath the very foundations of the city, raising zombies and creepers beneath vast vaulted hallways deep underground with arches of netherrack and soul sand stealing the very breath from your lungs and replacing it with the foul, cloying stench of greed.

The city of magic! Jewel of the North. The city is yours, Nero. Even if the halls and towers stand empty and forsaken by your fellow players, your imagination is more than sufficient to populate any city. If you can't see that happening, work under the premise that you and SPG are pioneers of the new age of wizardry, here in Acheron to try and re-habitate the long lost city of magic abandoned in eons past. You find yourself walking among breathtaking villas and plazas, and can only wonder at the incredible things that once occurred. But now it is a ghost town, so to speak, and you and your residents struggle to fight the faint memories of loneliness and destruction that cling to the rafters as you attempt to repopulate one small segment of the huge, ancient metropolis. You can literally build a civilization into existence, and simultaneously cast it into the far flung, distantly entrancing reaches of history, and as a result create a pleasant and enchanting home in which it is set.

I'm just one player, a member no less, so any such visions of mine are difficult to realise. However players such as yourself, and many others alike, can create great things!

Good luck.
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-06-14, 20:37

thebadhatter wrote:Flesh out the city's history/back story/whatever? Give the place an identity and another dimension that'll make it stand out from the rest. "The City Of Magic" means nothing to me at the moment - I want stories, statues, monuments. Ruins of forgotten schools of wizardry and enchantment. Vast pillars of mossy stone left to crumble, now home only to the stray skeleton, the remnant of a summoning gone awry now wandering the halls of its long abandoned home...

Instead of low wooden huts, why not great, domineering spires of smooth, precisely cut stone? Grand torch lit stairways leading to tribunal chambers or a sparring chamber. Underground storerooms for when the town had come under siege by marauders from the mountains to the North some fifty years ago. Town walls. A mess hall and dormitories for conjurers' apprentices. Courtyards, apartments, parkways and pathways where young couples steal a few seconds of romance under the glowstone before their masters call them up for the next formality or lecture. A grand dining hall with huge oak tables laden with cakes and sweetbreads, with a kitchen attached where the furnaces are never cold. Mountaintop huts, for meditation, introversion and contacting higher spirits.

Perhaps a secret society of necromancers that operate in the periphery, a group of high ranking decadent elders who privately indulge in the dark arts beneath the very foundations of the city, raising zombies and creepers beneath vast vaulted hallways deep underground with arches of netherrack and soul sand stealing the very breath from your lungs and replacing it with the foul, cloying stench of greed.

The city of magic! Jewel of the North. The city is yours, Nero. Even if the halls and towers stand empty and forsaken by your fellow players, your imagination is more than sufficient to populate any city. If you can't see that happening, work under the premise that you and SPG are pioneers of the new age of wizardry, here in Acheron to try and re-habitate the long lost city of magic abandoned in eons past. You find yourself walking among breathtaking villas and plazas, and can only wonder at the incredible things that once occurred. But now it is a ghost town, so to speak, and you and your residents struggle to fight the faint memories of loneliness and destruction that cling to the rafters as you attempt to repopulate one small segment of the huge, ancient metropolis. You can literally build a civilization into existence, and simultaneously cast it into the far flung, distantly entrancing reaches of history, and as a result create a pleasant and enchanting home in which it is set.

I'm just one player, a member no less, so any such visions of mine are difficult to realise. However players such as yourself, and many others alike, can create great things!

Good luck.

THAT is what i call inspiration! Makes me want to expand the zone of Acheron by double right away and get started!
    Yet i have to hold myself back since im just one councelor. I still need approval of SPG. If that happens.... hatter... then you can really help us out realyzing these said things
    Giygas
    Giygas

Post by Giygas 2011-06-14, 21:45

What the hell? This is a city which is in a good shape. Ruins? Are you kidding me?
    Statues of what? Vast pillars of mossy cobble left to crumble? Hell no I don't like any of that.
    I mean what does Ruins have to do with the magical theme?

"Town Walls" FUCK no! Kumatora Village and Acheron both never had a wall and will never have one!

No, no... AAaandd NO!
    BUD_the_Slacker
    BUD_the_Slacker

Post by BUD_the_Slacker 2011-06-14, 22:24

NeroTheDarklord wrote:
    thebadhatter wrote:Flesh out the city's history/back story/whatever? Give the place an identity and another dimension that'll make it stand out from the rest. "The City Of Magic" means nothing to me at the moment - I want stories, statues, monuments. Ruins of forgotten schools of wizardry and enchantment. Vast pillars of mossy stone left to crumble, now home only to the stray skeleton, the remnant of a summoning gone awry now wandering the halls of its long abandoned home...

Good luck.

THAT is what i call inspiration! Makes me want to expand the zone of Acheron by double right away and get started!
    Yet i have to hold myself back since im just one councelor. I still need approval of SPG. If that happens.... hatter... then you can really help us out realyzing these said things

Hehe, Giygas doesnt seem to happy...

But to give credit where credit is due, hatter is a brilliant architect and quite the visionary. Its true, the city lacks alot of history which cant be made up for by just one floating temple...

... So, why not allow multiple floating buildings? Suspended in mid air, a single teleporter leading to a nexus of constructs magically held aloft. Impossible structures, three dimensionally placed to strike residents and passers-through with awe.

And where SPGiygas is right with the wall being a bit to much for the city, why not place a giant, circular rune around the city, a shield rune if you may, which allows only those to enter who cast down their weapons.

As I have said once before, Acheron sadly misses a character which would seperate it from the dozens of other minor and major cities. Yes, the street design is nice, yes, theres a floating temple... but there are no attractions, there is no real gimmick.

Notches A** is underground and has a biga** dino head as an entrance.
    Abydos and Nfs have a distinct theme and feel to them, seperating them from other cities.
    Even Redcove and Lions Keep have a certain regulation of whats to be built where.

Id love to see Acheron become a reward to players who discover it, a jewel at the end of a long journey, but it'll need a lot of work til then...
    thebadhatter
    thebadhatter

Post by thebadhatter 2011-06-14, 22:43

It was only an offhand suggestion, let's all remain calm :0

I did explain my reasoning behind the ruins and such though - just sayin.
    Giygas
    Giygas

Post by Giygas 2011-06-14, 23:07

Well as I said I don't like these Ruins stuff. But I had a small Idea of making some kind of big torches using fire at every corner of the outside street border. Well its hard to explain but I think that might already increase the look alot. Been thinking of making them out of double smooth slabs and Lapis blocks. I got the shape in my mind but like I said I can't really explain it. Floating buildings is a no go due to the shadows. Acheron is using alot of glowstones in the streets but it still might be way darker than usual.

I've been working on Acheron more of a Forest city since I made Kumatora Village one. The Magic idea was mostly made by Nero. Acheron is noticeable due to the huge forest surrounding it! Also im still working on the forest to make it even bigger. I used alot of Bonemeal stacks to grow tall grass there too.
    GaMerG77
    GaMerG77
    Donator
    Donator

Post by GaMerG77 2011-06-15, 06:00

How about making a big tree in the center or wherever there is space not used by citizens? I mean it is forest-based right? Might as well base it off of Avatar's Forest, Or just the tree part.
    Giygas
    Giygas

Post by Giygas 2011-06-15, 06:06

Like this one? (Also found somewhere on the server)

Acheron Suggestion Topic 2011-015
    (An old screenshot I made, don't go crazy because it isn't Dokucraft on the screenie lol)
    GaMerG77
    GaMerG77
    Donator
    Donator

Post by GaMerG77 2011-06-15, 06:08

Giygas wrote:Like this one? (Also found somewhere on the server)

Spoiler:
    (An old screenshot I made, don't go crazy because it isn't Dokucraft on the screenie lol)

Yeah, like that, and you can base it off of that or a little less messy, and maybe even have little rooms in it.

Edit: Also what is that texture pack I see the clouds are MUCH more beatiful than mine, I might want to add that in.
    Giygas
    Giygas

Post by Giygas 2011-06-15, 06:13

Johnsmith's but I prefer Dokucraft now as you can see in my sig.

The tree might not be possible to be made inside the zone. The middle of Acheron is only 3x3 blocks. We might be able to create one in one of the zone corners though. But im really not sure about making one...

Also this gives me an crazy Idea for the next city (if ill make one). A tree city! An enormous tree where the branches are the plots! Omg that would be kickass!
    GaMerG77
    GaMerG77
    Donator
    Donator

Post by GaMerG77 2011-06-15, 06:17

Giygas wrote:Johnsmith's but I prefer Dokucraft now as you can see in my sig.

The tree might not be possible to be made inside the zone. The middle of Acheron is only 3x3 blocks. We might be able to create one in one of the zone corners though. But im really not sure about making one...

Also this gives me an crazy Idea for the next city (if ill make one). A tree city! An enormous tree where the branches are the plots! Omg that would be kickass!

An I idea within my idea...Ideaception. ((Get the reference?))
    Make a 3x3 tree then, you could probably expand more up so it makes the tree look like it replaced the leaves with logs, it wouldn't be a problem since there is a height-limit on homes right? Oh, and the zone corners could work too.
    Giygas
    Giygas

Post by Giygas 2011-06-15, 17:19

I like the tree idea but it due to the fact that I might need to cut down 1/6 of the forest to make it I probably won't do it. But to think of the "floating plot islands" again. I've been thinking of some smaller flying islands which have a bench (2 wooden stairs next to eachother with a sign on each end), a small pond, sugar canes and maybe even a tree.

I'll make one for testing, same for the "big torches" idea.
    uberblake
    uberblake

Post by uberblake 2011-06-15, 17:43

Maybe the main area can be kept in the shape it is noe and you can make more of mountainous/ scattered plots outside of the main center. I don't know...just an idea...
    GaMerG77
    GaMerG77
    Donator
    Donator

Post by GaMerG77 2011-06-15, 18:00

I could lend you some wood but I banned my self from minecraft for a couple of weeks/days.
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-06-15, 23:29

GaMerG77 wrote:I could lend you some wood but I banned my self from minecraft for a couple of weeks/days.

Wait what?
    Giygas
    Giygas

Post by Giygas 2011-06-16, 01:21

I think its due to some stuff he got to do IRL. I heard of someone asking a staff to be banned (or just simply broke a honeypot) to not be distracted by Minecraft. But I wasn't sure if that was GamerG but most likely is.

Well back on track. Suggestion people?
    Albuca
    Albuca
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Albuca 2011-06-16, 02:19

Giygas wrote:I think its due to some stuff he got to do IRL. I heard of someone asking a staff to be banned (or just simply broke a honeypot) to not be distracted by Minecraft. But I wasn't sure if that was GamerG but most likely is.

Well back on track. Suggestion people?
    LOL thats what I'm doing to myself tonight ^^
    Sadly, I can easily unban myself =P
    Final on Friday! Wish me luck =P
    xbot668

Post by xbot668 2011-06-16, 03:43

All right, so correct me if I'm wrong. So the general current problems are that 1) There is no known activity in the city, other then people occasionally building? 2) there are no general attractions in the city. 3) There are no plots except for the inactive ppl plots which we can't identify because the logs have been wiped.

New suggestion:
    1) Expand the city: since sky and underground expansion was rejected, just go with regular expansion. Obviously this would cost gil to plot, but would introduce new faces to the city.

2) Activity board: I've wandered into a few non-major cities, and I noticed they have boards where members may post. I suggest a board of some kind be made that on one side players can place a sign and every week community members must post on it like so "Xbot668 Current date" on the other side just a fun side can be made hopefully making the members closer together by poking at each other Very Happy. If a community member is going to be inactive they post on their sign like so "Xbot668 back on (whatever day they'll be back)" I realize we have something like that at the center of town....that's to small IMO

3)Community draw: Whether we are talking lottery, a casino, a hotel(A large one. Not a bar), or a community farm. The city, once again IMO, lacks major draw. If there is a thing along those lines it's not advertised enough.
    Giygas
    Giygas

Post by Giygas 2011-06-16, 03:54

1) Expanding the city will need a fuckload of work and I don't have that much time lately. Nero can do it but I won't be able to work on it all day long.

2) The acivity board sounds nice. Might gonna discuss this with Nero some more.

3) Well, it is up to the people who buy the plots to make a lottery, casino or a hotel or what ever. I'm the mayor, not a casino owner.

NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-06-16, 03:58

And about the inactive plots...
    Well admins dont seem to care too much about helping us out solving this problem.
    And since the logs have been deleted, i guess we have no option but do the next Acheron cleanup the same way we did our last... without evidence...
    i really wanted to avoid this next time but appearently there is no other option...
    I would suggest we shedule the next cleanup soon, announce it on the forums and announce it multible times ingame.
    Hopefully, the word will spread fast and wide enough so all active people can give some kind of response.
    Favorable would be a sign at the houses of active players saying that their owners are still active...
    Spxify

Post by Spxify 2011-06-16, 04:07

NeroTheDarklord wrote:
    Favorable would be a sign at the houses of active players saying that their owners are still active...

Sounds like a good idea to me Surprised

I'll put my name on a sign above my door with a status and a reason from now on, good tip, thanks.
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-06-16, 07:25

Yeah thats actualy something!
    Giygas is thinking about the rules again and as far as i understood hes working on an activity rule.
    I would recommend that anyone who isnt going to be online for a while should leave a sign at their house.

Anyway i came up with an idea how we could solve the problem of expanding the city AND adding more magic to it!

The reason we cant expand above the city is because it would throw a shadow on the city.
    The reason we cant expand outside of the city is because the main streets are already interupted and wont leave a clear pattern anymore past that point.

Lets combine both ideas together! How about we build another ring around Acheron but in the sky above it!
    That would end in quite prestige plots which could be accessable through the temple of magic!
    I could redesign it to be an acccess waypoint for the levitating ring!
    Grintendo
    Grintendo
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Grintendo 2011-06-16, 08:05

Don't take offense, but i think you guys are being unfair. You shouldn't be constantly recycling plots, you should be expanding just like people have suggested. Even without evidence you're taking down peoples paid homes, even if inactive, i believe you haven't stated a clear rule saying how your home in active or not. I would suggest you stop sitting on the fence and recycling plots, and go out there and get expanding! It's a Major city, it should be big, and have many people living in it! Not loads of temporary citizens.
    Giygas
    Giygas

Post by Giygas 2011-06-16, 08:19

NeroTheDarklord wrote:Lets combine both ideas together! How about we build another ring around Acheron but in the sky above it!

That actually... sounds... great!
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-06-16, 08:27

Giygas wrote:
    NeroTheDarklord wrote:Lets combine both ideas together! How about we build another ring around Acheron but in the sky above it!

That actually... sounds... great!

Giygas aproves Awesomez

right now im not too sure how to minimyze the shadows thrown that the city as much as possible.
    I thought of giving the floating ring like a wheel shape:
    the four main streets get copied in the air above the ground mainstreets, leading to the ring.
    But i guess that would throw a large long shadow on the mainstreets...
    Giygas
    Giygas

Post by Giygas 2011-06-16, 17:00

Make it outta glass?
    xbot668

Post by xbot668 2011-06-16, 17:30

Before construction is started let's pan out a few things(Although you probably discuss some of this stuff in private so w.e.). What height level will it be at? To high and we won't be able to make anything tall. To low and it won't exactly be floating. Will the theme of the city change for houses up above? will players be able to break the glass in order to create a basement? Will the streets be glass or will they be another kind of material? All just various questions that I think should be brought out first.

Also, is any sand needed for the glass, or are you going to have to go out and buy/get some? Are only the two council members doing construction?
    Psychotron_3000
    Psychotron_3000

Post by Psychotron_3000 2011-06-16, 18:40

I have to agree with Grinteno here, I find the floating ring idea to be wonderful, but I also think you should recycle plots less and just expand the city to compensate for more people! The more plots sold = more activity in the city, and towns such as my Redwood Cove or Wise Mega City are beginning to rival the major cities in size.
    I think the floating ring would be an excellent boost to the cities stature and population!
    Giygas
    Giygas

Post by Giygas 2011-06-16, 20:42

My Ideas.

Ring: Out of glass and on the sides glowstone. height is going to be decided. I already made a floating island for testing. Will be lower than the temple. The 16 Block height limit will still apply up there when purchased (normal height is 8 ).

Ring Plots: Floating Islands made of dirt and grass. The Islands most likely will have enough space to make a 4 blocks deep basement.

Building Materials: Any except of Snow or Ice blocks. Nether materials are allowed but shouldn't be made fully out of it.

Plot recycling: Cleanups will be done every 2nd - 3rd month (after the last cleanup) instead of every month. Activity will be determined using the Activity rule im going to make after the next cleanup.

Sand for Glass: I'm not a buying kind of person when you can get sand easily yourself. There is a desert like 90 - 100 blocks away from Acheron, we will get the sand there, most likely using power shovels. To make glass out of it I got 8 Furnaces and a shitton of Coal.
    Grintendo
    Grintendo
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Grintendo 2011-06-16, 20:52

Giygas wrote:Plot recycling: Cleanups will be done every 2nd - 3rd month (after the last cleanup) instead of every month. Activity will be determined using the Activity rule im going to make after the next cleanup.
    I like this!
    Psychotron_3000 wrote: The more plots sold = more activity in the city, and towns such as my Redwood Cove or Wise Mega City are beginning to rival the major cities in size.
    Don't forget, Major cities were given a set size (175x175 i believe) whereas Wise Mega City and Redwood have been able to expand as largely and as openly as they like, but i can assure you Abydos for one will only recycle plots if completely necessary and 100% of the money from plots/donates will go to expanding/improving the town. So i plan to cut down this rivalry Razz
    Giygas
    Giygas

Post by Giygas 2011-06-16, 21:31

As much as I know, Major cities are allowed to expand too. And that's what we are going to do.

Oh and by the way, I changed some of the City Rules. Majorly the "forest themed buildings" rule.
    Psychotron_3000
    Psychotron_3000

Post by Psychotron_3000 2011-06-16, 21:33

Ah, fair enough Grintendo. So the set size is 175x175 for major cities? Redwood has a 450x450 or 600x600 size so far :O
    And to be fair, I have recycled a fair share of plots in my tim too.
    But yes, Abydos is a gem, its spectactular so far and I believe I will have to buy a plot there when ready Very Happy
    On another note, nothing like a little friendly competition, hehe...
    Grintendo
    Grintendo
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Grintendo 2011-06-16, 22:07

Hehe ofcourse, i was just pointing out we had a set size to work with and then expand on that, whereas towns like yours could start expanding as large as they wish. I am in no way trying to take away your (and others) credit for their towns where it is due, and yes it's definite competition, and that's great, everyone loves competition Razz.

Yeah we can expand and i guess there was no rule to stopping initial expansion anyway, just a little something i thought i'd point out just to give a somewhat explanation why you could consider the major cities to be "small".

Anyway, i wish you luck for the expansion/development, make sure to keep it all posted on forums, i'll be keeping a close eye on the development myself Smile.
    Psychotron_3000
    Psychotron_3000

Post by Psychotron_3000 2011-06-16, 22:09

Fair enough Grint, I appreciate the info, I never knew :3 I too am looking forwards to seeing how Acheron progresses, I may be interested in one of the plots on the floating ring...
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-06-16, 23:32

So people like our ideas! Thats good to hear.
    Thing is the ring - thing may work out for one or two more rings of plots but then we would have to think of something new again. Ow well thats in the future.
    Another thing i would suggest is that we finally get our city flag done! We had at least 2 concepts i new off but for some reason both didnt get furtherly proceeded.
    Grintendo
    Grintendo
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Grintendo 2011-06-16, 23:39

Please do get your city flag done, we really want to add it to our list of flags, currently it's only ours and NFS.

Is it possible to add to the city floor? Like another "ring" since your town has that unique layout, can't you add another "ring" to it (i think my memory serves me well)?
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-06-16, 23:47

Grintendo wrote:Please do get your city flag done, we really want to add it to our list of flags, currently it's only ours and NFS.

Is it possible to add to the city floor? Like another "ring" since your town has that unique layout, can't you add another "ring" to it (i think my memory serves me well)?

Its hard to make a "ring" in a flag when you got barely any pixels to work with.
    Its already hard enough to even roughly resemble our city layout on this tiny flag.
    Grintendo
    Grintendo
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Grintendo 2011-06-17, 00:05

I wasn't referring to the flag in the second paragraph, that was referring to town development as you said you have doubts with the floating ring.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-20, 13:42