Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Orcworm's SMP Server

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to Orcworm's Minecraft SMP Server, located at: orcworm.co.uk

+15
Spxify
Psychotron_3000
GaMerG77
redjello
Albuca
angelin
PureCraft
Yarwood
monpasdg
Pete
thebadhatter
Lizardman
Ryoman
Rykleos
FillerB
19 posters

Orcworm Game Community - Public Topic

FillerB
    FillerB
    So long and thanks for all the fish!

Orcworm Game Community - Public Topic Empty Orcworm Game Community - Public Topic

Post by FillerB 2011-06-28, 05:05

As some of you may have gathered by now: we're thinking about turning Orcworm in to full-blown game community. Some of you have been given access to a private discussion area where we can go in-depth about the changes we would like to see and how it will be implemented. These chosen few will notice that at the bottom of the area there's a new forum ("Game Community Discussion"). Please post in the sticky of that forum ("READ THIS BEFORE POSTING") as soon as possible so we can be sure that you have the necessary permissions.

For those that have not been chosen: We still care about your opinion. That's why we have this topic. And the general question is: What would you like to see in a Game Community? Please leave your suggestions.
    Rykleos
    Rykleos

Orcworm Game Community - Public Topic Empty Re: Orcworm Game Community - Public Topic

Post by Rykleos 2011-06-28, 05:19

It is kind of hard to know what this really means without seeing this section. Do you mean like full blown teamspeak servers, community gatherings or do you mean Games like spleef, arenas, and so forth?
    FillerB
    FillerB

Orcworm Game Community - Public Topic Empty Re: Orcworm Game Community - Public Topic

Post by FillerB 2011-06-28, 05:24

As in "game community". We currently mostly deal with Minecraft while we also have servers for multiple games. The idea here is that we give those games (Terraria, Team Fortress, Killing Floor, <game of the week> ) more attention on this forum. What would you like to see changed to better illustrate that we are not just about Minecraft anymore.
    Ryoman
    Ryoman
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Ryoman 2011-06-28, 05:27

How do we know who has been chosen? someone could be given access to this section and not even know it.

List of chosen players?
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-06-28, 05:31

FillerB wrote:These chosen few will notice that at the bottom of the area there's a new forum ("Game Community Discussion").
    Those who have been chosen will know it if they pay even the slightest bit of attention. The list of who was chosen isn't going to be made public for various reasons. If you aren't chosen then it doesn't mean that we don't care about you, as this topic clearly illustrates.
    Lizardman
    Lizardman

Post by Lizardman 2011-06-28, 05:48

Still against the idea but what can ya do? I guess I won't donate any longer as my funds no longer go to the cause I donate for.

Sorry, peeps. :3
    Ryoman
    Ryoman
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Ryoman 2011-06-28, 05:49

I can understand why it would not be made public, because you will obviously get a ton of complaints asking why certain people were not chosen, And its kind of simple instinct to look at the homepage before asking for a list :3
    thebadhatter
    thebadhatter

Post by thebadhatter 2011-06-28, 06:16

I quite like the minecraft exclusivity. Or at least, if other games are going to be integrated, have them completely and strictly separate so all the minecraft people can go stay in the MC area and never have to lay their eyes upon these hideous interlopers!
    Pete
    Pete

Post by Pete 2011-06-28, 06:22

Well, Minecraft is by far the biggest game; terraria and KF are both kinda small, and TF2 is pretty straightforward; not much "discussion" to be held...
    monpasdg
    monpasdg

Post by monpasdg 2011-06-28, 06:30

thebadhatter wrote:I quite like the minecraft exclusivity. Or at least, if other games are going to be integrated, have them completely and strictly separate so all the minecraft people can go stay in the MC area and never have to lay their eyes upon these hideous interlopers!

Wouldn't having every thread mutually exclusive defeat the purpose of a community? The goal of a game community is to keep the same player base that enjoys playing a plethora of games together.

A lot of Eve Online corporations have this setup and it works quite nicely. Keeping a main game focus (such as minecraft) but having sprees of TF2 to fill in the periods of boredom from main game.
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-06-28, 06:38

I would like to note that it is in no way definitive that we will turn into a community. It is still very much in the brainstorming and pro/con determining-phase. Which is why we would want as much feedback as possible. Yes, Minecraft will still be the main focus dontcha worry your heads about that. As monpas said: it's mostly a way to tie the different games we have together so everyone can enjoy them instead of just having them be tucked away in Orc's signature. If you don't want to play TF2 or Killing Floor or Terraria or whatever, then just don't pay attention to those topics.
    Yarwood
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Yarwood 2011-06-28, 06:40

Lizardman wrote:Still against the idea but what can ya do? I guess I won't donate any longer as my funds no longer go to the cause I donate for.

Sorry, peeps. :3

... Seriously. Also, as a "Gaming Community" we will/should NOT focus on MMO's.
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

Post by PureCraft 2011-06-28, 06:41

Why turning this into a gaming community?
    We already have them!
    http://www.specialattack.net/
    Spoiler:
    I love to play other games with Orc, especially when he is trying to troll me by welding the doors and locking me in a fucking zombiespawner, but Im afraid that we could get dry servers pretty fast =/
    Pete
    Pete

Post by Pete 2011-06-28, 06:45

We could probably promote through google... Most of the web hosting sites I've seen offer a $75-$100 google promotion shit... Also, we could train ourselves and invite SpA to play; then they'd see how awesome we are and they'd all come here. BTW, I thought the same thing when Orc said he was gonna do an MC server; but look how far we've got...
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

Post by PureCraft 2011-06-28, 06:46

PetePorty wrote:We could probably promote through google... Most of the web hosting sites I've seen offer a $75-$100 google promotion shit... Also, we could train ourselves and invite SpA to play; then they'd see how awesome we are and they'd all come here. BTW, I thought the same thing when Orc said he was gonna do an MC server; but look how far we've got...
    My uncle works in the google promotion branche...
    nuff' said.
    Rykleos
    Rykleos

Post by Rykleos 2011-06-28, 06:49

Can we have forums for game gatherings on Xbox Live, PSN, or Wii Network. Forums for console games, forums for computer games, etc?

Also, I think an ingame community is a must too. I think we need games like Spleef and Arenas to bring us together for fun.
    Yarwood
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Yarwood 2011-06-28, 06:53

PetePorty wrote:We could probably promote through google... Most of the web hosting sites I've seen offer a $75-$100 google promotion shit... Also, we could train ourselves and invite SpA to play; then they'd see how awesome we are and they'd all come here. BTW, I thought the same thing when Orc said he was gonna do an MC server; but look how far we've got...

Advertising through websites isnt the way to go imo.. We're trying to be a gaming community, not a company.

And Rykleos, you seem to not have an idea of the "Gaming Community" we're talking about.. :/
    Pete
    Pete

Post by Pete 2011-06-28, 06:59

IDK about you, but when I start playing a game and looking for a server; I google "top 10 X servers" "best X servers" "24/7 X server" and stuff like that. We could get reviews in youtube and in written review stuff and we could actually become findable in Google... When I joined SpA, it was because the server was "spa.net", that made me thing "Oh, it's a webpage! It's probably serious/big/good". You don't just randomly choose servers...
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

Post by PureCraft 2011-06-28, 07:00

TBH, I joined the server with the most players on it ^^
    Yarwood
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Yarwood 2011-06-28, 07:07

Youtube is a good idea.. And it depends what game you're playing - when you're picking a server.
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

Post by PureCraft 2011-06-28, 07:09

Search for Orcworm on youtube
    ???
    shit brix.
    Pete
    Pete

Post by Pete 2011-06-28, 07:11

Oh, we should probably add Orc's Ace of Spades server too? Even if the game sucks... Razz
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-06-28, 07:13

Is that thing even around anymore? See this exactly why we should unite the different aspects of Orcworm.co.uk more. Nobody (except Orc) knows what the giggles we do and do not have.
    angelin
    angelin

Post by angelin 2011-06-30, 18:41

This game contains scenes of explicit violence and gore
    Albuca
    Albuca
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Albuca 2011-06-30, 23:00

angelin wrote:This game contains scenes of explicit violence and gore
    Orcworm Game Community - Public Topic 129086543004640214
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

Post by PureCraft 2011-07-01, 00:41

angelin wrote:This game contains scenes of explicit violence and gore
    hahahahahahahahahahahaha.... It would be funny.. If it weren't so sad...
    redjello
    Banned
    Banned

Post by redjello 2011-07-01, 08:07

Although I believe forming a gaming community and I thoroughly believe going to "the big time" would be an excellent idea. I find I am more focused on thinking about why you would think the need to form a private thread for your special "chosen" people. Furthermore I find it entirely ridiculous that you would then announce such a private trustee only type meeting in a forum where flame wars can start over the simplest thing.

Getting to the more important things here. I believe its time for a full website make over. Making the main website a more generalized website allowing separated forum areas in this forum for different games, however maintaining and keeping a single forum. It seems time to apply a new and serious rule set for all staff to follow, hopefully this rule set will be well defined and include separate and explicit rules for etiquette and actions taken specifically for each game. If Orcworm is to truly become a gaming community then perhaps its time to add applications for both Game MOD and DEV (developer) positions. The DEV positions being highly important in a gaming community because any serious gaming community will need people who have access to certain scripts for certain games, obviously these people must be fully trusted to have such access. If such a feat does get accomplished then the ranks of staff will need to be more complicated and the simplifications that were already taken will need to be reversed and then added onto.

Last edited by redjello on 2011-07-01, 08:17; edited 1 time in total
    GaMerG77
    GaMerG77
    Donator
    Donator

Post by GaMerG77 2011-07-01, 08:09

redjello wrote:Although I believe forming a gaming community and I thoroughly believe going to "the big time" would be an excellent idea. I find I am more focused on thinking about why you would think the need to form a private thread for your special "chosen" people. Furthermore I find it entirely ridiculous that you would then announce such a private trustee only type meeting in a forum where flame wars can start over the simplest thing.
    No flame war yet.
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-07-01, 08:09

A) I didn't choose the people
    B) This wasn't my idea
    C) This kind of crap is exactly why you weren't even mentioned amongst the nominees
    redjello
    Banned
    Banned

Post by redjello 2011-07-01, 08:20

Never mind. Throwing away the ego here. The important thing at the moment is to get down on how to best help this server become a large and powerful gaming community.
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

Post by PureCraft 2011-07-01, 09:01

Don't you start this all over again -_-
    redjello
    Banned
    Banned

Post by redjello 2011-07-01, 09:33

We've tried becoming a gaming community before?
    Psychotron_3000
    Psychotron_3000

Post by Psychotron_3000 2011-07-03, 20:56

PureCraft wrote:
    I love to play other games with Orc, especially when he is trying to troll me by welding the doors and locking me in a fucking zombiespawner
    'Ooh that makes me so mad I'm going to bake a quiche tonight!' Orc loves trollin' me and Pure in KF :3
    Orc's other game servers (TF2 and KF)have a nightmarish ping and I find them unplayable, but I think it would be a great idea for other people who actually can. My only problem is that since the other servers have been running I've found minecraft to be lagging more. I like the idea so long as it doesn't ruin minecraft on the server.
    Spxify

Post by Spxify 2011-07-03, 21:43

The TF2 server is awesome, killing Orcworm with a fish is even more awesome:

"Top right corner shows the fish kill":
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-07-03, 21:46

Psychotron_3000 wrote:My only problem is that since the other servers have been running I've found minecraft to be lagging more. I like the idea so long as it doesn't ruin minecraft on the server.
    I could dig up the infographic Orc posted but basically the other games only use 5% of the resources available while gloriously unoptimized piece of shit Minecraft slobbers up the remaining 95%. So the effect on MC is negligible.
    Psychotron_3000
    Psychotron_3000

Post by Psychotron_3000 2011-07-03, 22:58

FillerB wrote:
    Psychotron_3000 wrote:My only problem is that since the other servers have been running I've found minecraft to be lagging more. I like the idea so long as it doesn't ruin minecraft on the server.
    I could dig up the infographic Orc posted but basically the other games only use 5% of the resources available while gloriously unoptimized piece of shit Minecraft slobbers up the remaining 95%. So the effect on MC is negligible.

Ah. I suppose my internet is just terrible altogether then.
    On another note Notch should fix his fucking game...
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

Post by PureCraft 2011-07-03, 22:59

He should just stop using god damn Java
    Pete
    Pete

Post by Pete 2011-07-04, 01:14

Note the Fragmer DID rewrite the whole damn game and Notch didn't pay him because the only language he knows is Java...
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-07-04, 01:21

Spxify wrote:The TF2 server is awesome, killing Orcworm with a fish is even more awesome:

"Top right corner shows the fish kill":

You're the same person? Well... fuck.

Edit: The image Filler wanted:

Orcworm Game Community - Public Topic Sysstat
    Baldymoint7
    Baldymoint7

Post by Baldymoint7 2011-07-10, 11:21

I was not chosen!! Surprised. Well I can guess why, anyway just leme know if I can help promote you guys in anyway!
    E Karney
    E Karney

Post by E Karney 2011-07-10, 12:26

Make a Garrys mod server?
    Jarvisd
    Jarvisd
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Jarvisd 2011-07-10, 14:56

Well after playing Terraria for abit, I am not scared of the change, since no one from here is ever on, and it is full of newbz who I can troll.
    GaMerG77
    GaMerG77
    Donator
    Donator

Post by GaMerG77 2011-07-10, 14:59

Jarvisd wrote:Well after playing Terraria for abit, I am not scared of the change, since no one from here is ever on, and it is full of newbz who I can troll.
    You played 2D Minecraft!!!!1111oneoneone

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-04-29, 20:50