Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Orcworm's SMP Server

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to Orcworm's Minecraft SMP Server, located at: orcworm.co.uk

+11
DoughnutSpanker
xbot668
lolyounoob1
Krellyn
Spxify
Orcworm
Grintendo
JoeTheSheep
skoglol
Albuca
FrankValdor
15 posters

Possible improvements towards a more comfortable game-experience.

FrankValdor
    FrankValdor

Possible improvements towards a more comfortable game-experience. Empty Possible improvements towards a more comfortable game-experience.

Post by FrankValdor 2011-07-08, 23:06

As a former server owner I know what I'm talking about. My server no more exists due to running costs as Finlands leading operator started to limit upload speeds to 1M.
    This is a group appeal from all of my server's former players (willing to donate a good server).

1. Reset map and transfer all the beautiful buildings and cities from current one.

Possible improvements towards a more comfortable game-experience. Slums6 <- Example of how not to build and how many of the cities in orcworm look.

2. Create a resource world

3. Guests would be allowed only to build in the resource world until they donate or gain trust.

4. Create strict rules how NOT to build with examples.

I am willing to help you with any hardware/plugin/gameplay related questions. Cool
    Albuca
    Albuca
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Possible improvements towards a more comfortable game-experience. Empty Re: Possible improvements towards a more comfortable game-experience.

Post by Albuca 2011-07-08, 23:10

FrankValdor wrote:As a former server owner I know what I'm talking about. My server no more exists due to running costs as Finlands leading operator started to limit upload speeds to 1M.
    This is a group appeal from all of my server's former players (willing to donate a good server).

1. Reset map and transfer all the beautiful buildings and cities from current one.

lol. No.
    skoglol
    skoglol

Possible improvements towards a more comfortable game-experience. Empty Re: Possible improvements towards a more comfortable game-experience.

Post by skoglol 2011-07-08, 23:14

FrankValdor wrote:1. Reset map and transfer all the beautiful buildings and cities from current one.

Fuck off!
    JoeTheSheep
    JoeTheSheep

Post by JoeTheSheep 2011-07-08, 23:16

Dont be so rude to him. I think his ideas are fantastic. Think of all the guests that are banned for griefing. If there in a

"special" world until they are trusted. We know they wont grief.
    Grintendo
    Grintendo
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Grintendo 2011-07-08, 23:19

Although your on to something, with the whole ugly shit homes and what not. Resetting the map atm isn't an option, only about 1/10th of the map is built on, if that... But yes, we need to clear ugly homes. And i'm in the process of doing so in the spawn area.

Next map (if there will be one), i'll be sure to lay down strict rules for building near spawn to avoid this again. As for far out from spawn, well we can't do anything about that, and tbh it doesn't matter when it's far out.
    skoglol
    skoglol

Post by skoglol 2011-07-08, 23:23

Zoobia wrote:Dont be so rude to him. I think his ideas are fantastic. Think of all the guests that are banned for griefing. If there in a

"special" world until they are trusted. We know they wont grief.

You do realize orcworm is what it is today because there are no such restrictions? If this was to pass, it would just be yet another one of those servers you instantly leave, because you can't be arsed to commit to a community which might be shit. Imagine beeing a new guest in such a world. Hell, most of us ignore guests already.
    FrankValdor
    FrankValdor

Post by FrankValdor 2011-07-08, 23:24

skoglol wrote:
    FrankValdor wrote:1. Reset map and transfer all the beautiful buildings and cities from current one.

Fuck off!

I love your way to handle things maturely. Your point of view has opened a new era of possibilities towards a better gaming experience, you should be honoured.

Now seriously -.-

Like you had something to lose if all the beautiful buildings etc. would be transferred to the new map? Or maybe it is your fetish towards 1x1 dirt towers and 200x200 cobblestone cubes, maybe you have something to do with this filth then?
    skoglol
    skoglol

Post by skoglol 2011-07-08, 23:34

FrankValdor wrote:
    skoglol wrote:

Fuck off!

I love your way to handle things maturely. Your point of view has opened a new era of possibilities towards a better gaming experience, you should be honoured.

Now seriously -.-

Like you had something to lose if all the beautiful buildings etc. would be transferred to the new map? Or maybe it is your fetish towards 1x1 dirt towers and 200x200 cobblestone cubes, maybe you have something to do with this filth then?

You come on to the server, bitch about the filth and crap and how ugly it is, then you suggest a map reset. Have you travelled more than 500 blocks from spawn? Wehther it's ugly or not doesn't matter, people have still laid down time in what is built. Your suggestion of a map reset takes a piss on every single one who has built more than an overnight dirt shack.
    Grintendo
    Grintendo
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Grintendo 2011-07-08, 23:50

Guys guys guys settle the hell down.

This is like a fuel station set alight..

The guys made a simple suggestion, you don't tell him 'fuck this' or 'fuck that'. WE, Politely, as a community, respond with our answer. Never talk to other members of our community like that again.

Aslong as we clean up areas near the spawn, new players won't be deterred IMO.
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-07-09, 00:13

I see where you're going with the idea, and I've seen it done successfully on other servers - But no, it won't be happening here, sorry.

The next map reset is scheduled for Minecraft's official release, prior to that a 1000 block expansion for 1.8, until then it's cleanup for all the mud huts and wooden sheds.

There are actually some decent builds if you look past the spawn mess ;p.

http://orcworm.co.uk/staticmap/
    Spxify

Post by Spxify 2011-07-09, 01:25

Why not make a railroad to a new/unused area with like a zone of 100x100 around it, put some shop plots like Orcshire (don't build the walls etc) and the rest is unexplored land etc? Surprised
    FrankValdor
    FrankValdor

Post by FrankValdor 2011-07-09, 02:14

Orcworm wrote:I see where you're going with the idea, and I've seen it done successfully on other servers - But no, it won't be happening here, sorry.

The next map reset is scheduled for Minecraft's official release, prior to that a 1000 block expansion for 1.8, until then it's cleanup for all the mud huts and wooden sheds.

There are actually some decent builds if you look past the spawn mess ;p.

http://orcworm.co.uk/staticmap/

I see Very Happy I didn't mean that it should be happening like *BANG*, but after the cleanup how are you going to control this enthropy? Just curious and looking forwards to less messier future.
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-07-09, 02:24

I don't want to be the guy who says "You can only build structures with this material" or whatever, if GuestyMcGuest wants his mud hut he can have it, it'll just be nuked a few weeks later.

I agree that the situation at the moment isn't exactly optimal, though it wouldn't take long to get things sorted.
    Krellyn
    Krellyn

Post by Krellyn 2011-07-09, 04:24

Regarding your idea to reset the map... I think there are a few alternatives... example: group of peeps go off hunting for broken, griefed, and deserted house made of hobble and takes them down.
    Grintendo
    Grintendo
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Grintendo 2011-07-09, 05:13

I got a better idea. Like i said i'm doing spawn clear up. Find me some god damn shit hutz and i'll scrap them down. Profit!
    lolyounoob1
    lolyounoob1

Post by lolyounoob1 2011-07-09, 13:13

I like what Grintendo has done, and by claiming land as staff, putting something nice on it (the trees and waterfalls), it stops people from building there (perminantly).
    xbot668

Post by xbot668 2011-07-09, 15:47

Obviously, I'm just suggesting to suggest what others have already suggested but in a different way from what was suggested before, as to make it look like my own suggestion.

Would it be possible to go a long with what he said sort of? instead of a total map reset, what about taking a bit of the map, bordering it off with large walls a zone about 3 blocks across so that they can't get over the wall, and then basically have it as a tutorial island. They can build what they want do w/e, but the staff is watching.

Not every second, heck no. The servers to busy at times. But once in a while they can walk through "player so and so house over there looks nice. I think we can make him a member now, set him lose on the world." Then pop him to orcshire tower "Holy crap why are all these 1x1 towers here, jimmys not going anywhere for a while" That solves the problem with ugly crap.

And include in this a building that explains all the rules, all the commands, all the aspects of the Server. I think this includes: building rules, pvp rules, donating rules, Commands as a guest, then a member, then a donator, etc. A list of all current staff. All pvp rules and regulations listed on the site, an explanation of the economy. maybe even plugins.
    DoughnutSpanker
    DoughnutSpanker
    Donator
    Donator

Post by DoughnutSpanker 2011-07-09, 16:21

xbot668 wrote:Obviously, I'm just suggesting to suggest what others have already suggested but in a different way from what was suggested before, as to make it look like my own suggestion.

Would it be possible to go a long with what he said sort of? instead of a total map reset, what about taking a bit of the map, bordering it off with large walls a zone about 3 blocks across so that they can't get over the wall, and then basically have it as a tutorial island. They can build what they want do w/e, but the staff is watching.

Not every second, heck no. The servers to busy at times. But once in a while they can walk through "player so and so house over there looks nice. I think we can make him a member now, set him lose on the world." Then pop him to orcshire tower "Holy crap why are all these 1x1 towers here, jimmys not going anywhere for a while" That solves the problem with ugly crap.

And include in this a building that explains all the rules, all the commands, all the aspects of the Server. I think this includes: building rules, pvp rules, donating rules, Commands as a guest, then a member, then a donator, etc. A list of all current staff. All pvp rules and regulations listed on the site, an explanation of the economy. maybe even plugins.

+562
    Pete
    Pete

Post by Pete 2011-07-09, 16:25

I'm sure this sounds great for people already here, but for one, I wouldn't stay even 5 minutes on a server that doesn't allow me to go gather resources and play with everyone else until I build what they think I should build.
    skoglol
    skoglol

Post by skoglol 2011-07-09, 16:41

DoughnutSpanker wrote:
    xbot668 wrote:Obviously, I'm just suggesting to suggest what others have already suggested but in a different way from what was suggested before, as to make it look like my own suggestion.

+562

Every server I have joined that had a gried to pieces -guest prison-, I have left at once.
    Some might say that's a good thing, because they wouldn't have to deal with me.
    Kn16h7
    Kn16h7
    Banned
    Banned

Post by Kn16h7 2011-07-09, 20:01

Pete wrote:I'm sure this sounds great for people already here, but for one, I wouldn't stay even 5 minutes on a server that doesn't allow me to go gather resources and play with everyone else until I build what they think I should build.

+1
    xbot668

Post by xbot668 2011-07-09, 20:16

Pete wrote:I'm sure this sounds great for people already here, but for one, I wouldn't stay even 5 minutes on a server that doesn't allow me to go gather resources and play with everyone else until I build what they think I should build.

That would be because you're en experienced builder who understands the do's and don't's rather well. To some newb to minecraft, the sense of right and wrong might not be there yet. Besides, I would see no reason to tell them they're in a test area. Just tell them it's a community for guests only. I'm not talking about a area that 50 x 50. I'm talking an area that you would have to walk from dawn to dusk to get to the edge of it.

People who are experienced with minecraft wouldn't be there very long, maybe a couple days. But even then, most wouldn't even know they were there. Heck, I don't care, if you want don't make it a boxed off area. just set it in a part of the map that's miles from any major cities, set up a fence to box off the area. If they hop the fence, well they're free to go.
    Kn16h7
    Kn16h7
    Banned
    Banned

Post by Kn16h7 2011-07-09, 20:23

you could just make a separate world for that, then they can grief the hell out of it all they want but they would never make it to our world. that way everyone's happy ^^ cept if it lags the server, then no1's happy...
    Pete
    Pete

Post by Pete 2011-07-10, 02:46

You spawn on a crappy looking place, full of nubs and griefed to hell... IDK, I would just go to another server.
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-07-10, 02:49

Pete wrote:You spawn on a crappy looking place, full of nubs and griefed to hell... IDK, I would just go to another server.

That's what it's already like though... ;p.
    Jarvisd
    Jarvisd
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Jarvisd 2011-07-10, 02:58

Who said they would be allowed to grief. That is a stupid notion, you can grief there and then we move you to the real world where the rules change and you can't grief? Sounds like a bad idea.
    Pete
    Pete

Post by Pete 2011-07-10, 03:29

What they are saying is that if you DON'T grief, you can go to the "real world", therefore, the people who stay there (I don't see why anyone would, but still) would only be griefers.
    Grintendo
    Grintendo
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Grintendo 2011-07-10, 03:59

I'm afraid i don't like it. And anyway i've said this many times I'M WILLING TO DO A CLEAR UP! (And i'm getting loads of help requests)

Gimme some shit to destroy and i will!!!

We're staff make us work our fingers to the bone!

(I'm going to regret saying that won't i...)
    xbot668

Post by xbot668 2011-07-10, 04:14

Grintendo wrote:I'm afraid i don't like it. And anyway i've said this many times I'M WILLING TO DO A CLEAR UP! (And i'm getting loads of help requests)

Gimme some shit to destroy and i will!!!

We're staff make us work our fingers to the bone!

(I'm going to regret saying that won't i...)

That doesn't solve the problem that when those are torn down, new mud-huts(I'm just gonna call them that) are gonna pop back up.

Maybe put some building regulations for spawn? After all it is the 1st thing people see.

And also back to the idea of the world, or separated corner of the world and to what jar said. Why not have all the rules apply? What better way to learn then to have the rules apply while your learning. I think a major benefit of this would be that grief to other players might be reduced. If a guest gets through all the rules and is then approved by a staff or orc, and then goes out and griefs they can't come to the forums after being banned and go "Wth is grief?" or "I didn't think it was grief"
    Grintendo
    Grintendo
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Grintendo 2011-07-10, 05:37

There is a rule, not set in the official rule book or whatever, but i placed a sign at the spawn gates, so they can't argue back...

I'm sorry but we can't be doing that, people often leave because they don't get membership within the first week, having them play in a pen... I don't think that'll help :/
    skoglol
    skoglol

Post by skoglol 2011-07-10, 05:45

Grintendo wrote:Gimme some shit to destroy and i will!!!

Is that guest-trap shop of yours still there? Laughing
    Grintendo
    Grintendo
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Grintendo 2011-07-10, 05:55

Speaking of that, i'm going to reduce it and make it look less... *Insert word here*
    skoglol
    skoglol

Post by skoglol 2011-07-10, 06:02

Grintendo wrote:Speaking of that, i'm going to reduce it and make it look less... there
    UrMomsMoat
    UrMomsMoat

Post by UrMomsMoat 2011-07-10, 06:53

No. Just simply, No.
    Grintendo
    Grintendo
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Grintendo 2011-07-10, 09:22

Atleast Moat is polite about it...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-20, 14:16