Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Orcworm's SMP Server

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to Orcworm's Minecraft SMP Server, located at: orcworm.co.uk

+13
Rulyon
E Karney
seaNINJA
FillerB
DoughnutSpanker
sieve
Pete
PureCraft
Orcworm
Ciphon
GaMerG77
Ryoman
Monstaboi
17 posters

The Endermen... They're coming....

Monstaboi
    Monstaboi

The Endermen... They're coming.... Empty The Endermen... They're coming....

Post by Monstaboi 2011-07-28, 10:57

Teaser put up by notch on Gooogle+
    The Endermen... They're coming.... 800px-10
    Shopp'd and enhanced:
    Spoiler:
    Ryoman
    Ryoman
    Donator
    Donator

The Endermen... They're coming.... Empty Re: The Endermen... They're coming....

Post by Ryoman 2011-07-28, 11:01

Dear god.....there actually kinda scary D:
    GaMerG77
    GaMerG77
    Donator
    Donator

Post by GaMerG77 2011-07-28, 11:01

Great! They steal blocks, and on a SMP who wouldn't waste a staff's time by calling them and it wasn't a player..Orc disable them ASAP.
    Ciphon
    Ciphon

Post by Ciphon 2011-07-28, 11:03

awwww, cute little squid-people
    Monstaboi
    Monstaboi

Post by Monstaboi 2011-07-28, 11:05

The Endermen... They're coming.... 18_310
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-07-28, 11:09

Total slenderman ripoff.
    Monstaboi
    Monstaboi

Post by Monstaboi 2011-07-28, 11:19

Orcworm wrote:Total slenderman ripoff.
    iseewhatyourdoinghere.jpg
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

Post by PureCraft 2011-07-28, 11:36

You remind me in slenderman AGAIN Orc... its 2:30... I can see the forest trough my window... FUCK YOU ORC! FUCK YOU!
    Pete
    Pete

Post by Pete 2011-07-28, 11:38

They are the only block-stealing mob, and it's black... RACISM!
    Ryoman
    Ryoman
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Ryoman 2011-07-28, 11:39

The SlendermanThe Endermen... They're coming.... Images11
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

Post by PureCraft 2011-07-28, 11:42

Pete wrote:They are the only block-stealing mob, and it's black... RACISM!
    I laughed so hard when I've seen a comment like that on PCgamer xD
    Ryoman
    Ryoman
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Ryoman 2011-07-28, 11:43

Pete wrote:They are the only block-stealing mob, and it's black... RACISM!
    This made me lol.
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

Post by PureCraft 2011-07-28, 11:44

Where is the slenderman on the pic Ryo?...
    sieve
    sieve

Post by sieve 2011-07-28, 11:48

Monstaboi wrote:The Endermen... They're coming.... 18_310

The Endermen... They're coming.... Close_10
    DoughnutSpanker
    DoughnutSpanker
    Donator
    Donator

Post by DoughnutSpanker 2011-07-28, 12:16

Ryoman wrote:The Slenderman
    Spoiler:

Too small, Can't see it. D:

This mob looks scary. I hope it giggles like a little girl, that would be even creepier.
    Ciphon
    Ciphon

Post by Ciphon 2011-07-28, 12:31

too bad you don't have a mac and you can't zoom up your screen... wait windows can do that too... noob
    Ryoman
    Ryoman
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Ryoman 2011-07-28, 12:40

Ciphon wrote:too bad you don't have a mac and you can't zoom up your screen... wait windows can do that too... noob
    The Endermen... They're coming.... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiuDFpcUmPS3JY9XAwLZG2UFX36Yr3M91kBiwjY6uxC5xXSwUE lol
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

Post by PureCraft 2011-07-28, 12:44

Ciphon wrote:too bad you don't have a mac and you can't zoom up your screen... wait windows can do that too... noob
    get the hell out.
    You dont want to know how the picture looks after you zoomed in...
    FillerB
    FillerB
    So long and thanks for all the fish!

Post by FillerB 2011-07-28, 18:22

At first I thought: Neat! Ender's Game / Battleschool in Minecraft.

Then I saw the Slenderman....
    seaNINJA
    seaNINJA

Post by seaNINJA 2011-07-29, 03:41

Oh god, these are creepy looking Scared
    DoughnutSpanker
    DoughnutSpanker
    Donator
    Donator

Post by DoughnutSpanker 2011-07-29, 04:09

FillerB wrote:Ender's Game / Battleschool

Great book.
    E Karney
    E Karney

Post by E Karney 2011-07-29, 06:58

DoughnutSpanker wrote:
    FillerB wrote:Ender's Game / Battleschool

Great book.

I second that comment.
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-07-29, 07:00

The Shadow-series (were Bean is the main character) is superior though. The sequels of Ender's Game got reaaaaaally preachy.
    sieve
    sieve

Post by sieve 2011-07-29, 08:30

I read all the Ender books, but I only got to shadow of the hegemon from the bean ones. I know the others are out now, are they any good?
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-07-29, 08:42

Refer to the post above.

If I hsd to rank them though:
    Ender's Shadow > Ender's Game > Rest of the Shadow series (Hegemon, Puppets, Giant) = Speaker of the Dead > Children of the Mind >>>>> Xenocide
    E Karney
    E Karney

Post by E Karney 2011-07-29, 08:47

If you like books by Orson Scott Card I would recommend Pathfinder. Very Happy
    Pete
    Pete

Post by Pete 2011-07-29, 08:54

I think I'll read Ender's Shadow this summer... I'll also probably read shadow of the hegemon. ^_^
    DoughnutSpanker
    DoughnutSpanker
    Donator
    Donator

Post by DoughnutSpanker 2011-07-29, 09:03

From Notch's Twitter:

notch wrote:The Endermen are peaceful. If you look straight at them, they freeze and look at you. When you look away again, they run fast. And teleport.
    Then later,
    notch wrote:They run TOWARDS you, not away. So if you happen to look at one, do not look away.
    And then,
    notch wrote:(they stop being peaceful if you look straight at them)
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-07-29, 09:08

You know what that STRONGLY reminds me of? The Weeping Angels or SCP-173.
    Pete
    Pete

Post by Pete 2011-07-29, 09:18

They won't attack unless you look directly at them and then look away... So if you happen to look directly at them, either go away without turning around or approach them while still looking at them to kill them...
    Monstaboi
    Monstaboi

Post by Monstaboi 2011-07-29, 09:52

they could be really dangerous...
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

Post by PureCraft 2011-07-29, 10:04

Pete wrote:They won't attack unless you look directly at them and then look away... So if you happen to look directly at them, either go away without turning around or approach them while still looking at them to kill them...
    oh, and they teleport... fucking creepy bastards.
    sieve
    sieve

Post by sieve 2011-07-29, 13:53

anyone else reminded of this? The Endermen... They're coming.... 9k=

btw I thought ender's game was the best of the series although I agree that ender's books tended to drag on after that.
    DoughnutSpanker
    DoughnutSpanker
    Donator
    Donator

Post by DoughnutSpanker 2011-07-29, 14:00

Yeah, after reading the first I went and bought all the sequels on my Kindle, and have never even finished the second. It just never caught me on. I haven't read the others, I'll have to do that soon.
    Monstaboi
    Monstaboi

Post by Monstaboi 2011-07-29, 14:21

makes me glad my teachers assign enders game Very Happy
    Rulyon
    Rulyon
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Rulyon 2011-07-30, 03:51

Well, that will certainly add a different level to the game...
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

Post by PureCraft 2011-07-30, 03:55

Notch wrote:The psychology of the reticle and the feeling of control

This blog post contains extensive spoilers about a new mob in the adventure update. Don’t click “read more” unless you want spoilers!

Fear is one of the easiest emotions to evoke, but doing so in a way that doesn’t frustrate or fatigue the player is more difficult. I find this fascinating. What parts of fear are fun, and what parts aren’t fun?

One of the biggest game design decisions in Minecraft is that all (well, most) negative things that affect the world or the player should happen near the player, and be clear to the player. That’s why creepers only explode near players, and that’s why fires stopped spreading indefinitely. This is somewhat related to my dislike of mazes in game design, where the player has no way of knowing or figuring out before hand what decision is the correct decision. Don’t penalize the player for things they can’t control.

Last weekend, I started working on a new mob because I was frustrated with the slow progress on some town code I was writing, and for some reason I decided to make yet another creepy one. It’s dark, it has long and narrow limbs, moves very slowly, and will pick up blocks and move them around. I wanted this to be a mob you only saw in the distance and a mob you’d be afraid of, but when I playtested it, it mostly felt like a regular zombie. There’s was a distinct mismatch between looking creepy and not actually playing creepy. When I made it move faster towards the player when attacking, and deal more damage, it got more difficult and I started respecting it, but it never felt creepy or scary.

So I thought some about what “creepy” actually is, and it’s more about trying to avoid something from happening than it is about actually having that thing happen. If you know something bad can happen if you do the wrong thing, you will start thinking about your actions, and that might make things more scary.

So I made it passive until you looked straight at it. And that was scary. Suddenly you could walk up to these looking beasts (they’re three meters tall) and watch them as they moved their blocks around, but as soon as you happened to look straight at them, they’d attack. And by “straight at them”, I mean putting the reticle on top of them. You can keep them visible on screen and actually look straight at them in real life, but as soon as your in game character looks straight at them, boom.

Still, that was more scary than creepy. It’s like a jump scare in a movie. You know it might happen at any time, and when it happens you freak out a bit. I wanted something a bit more psychological. So to really drive home the point of looking at them being bad, I made the Endermen freeze and turn towards you when you look at them. As long as you look straight at them, they stand perfectly still and look straight at you. As soon as you look away, they will run (very fast) towards you.

And they teleport. If they’re too far away to reach you in a short period of time, they will teleport about once per second. They try to make sure they always teleport to somewhere you can see, as I don’t want to confuse the player as to what is happening.

When they attack, you know it’s your fault. When you happen to look at one, you can keep looking at it to figure out how to deal with it, but you know it WILL reach you very fast once you stop looking at it.

And that, my friends, is creepy. Possibly too creepy.

posted 8 hours ago
    you god damn motherfucker notch, you god damn motherfucker...
    strpr0wng

Post by strpr0wng 2011-07-30, 05:44

ikr?
    DoughnutSpanker
    DoughnutSpanker
    Donator
    Donator

Post by DoughnutSpanker 2011-07-30, 10:29

Oh god... Now to make them scream loudly when they attack.
    ThePhunMaster

Post by ThePhunMaster 2011-07-30, 12:55

http://h5.abload.de/img/2011-07-26_18.14.064jcv.jpg

Look on the right of the huge mushroom. It appears that someone placed a water source on the side of it. Do you think the Endermen can move water sources around...without a bucket? D:

Last edited by ThePhunMaster on 2011-07-30, 12:58; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : The [IMG] wouldn't fit on the page so i removed the tags.)
    onlinerocker
    onlinerocker

Post by onlinerocker 2011-07-30, 13:36

Oh god these are going to be very creepy, job well done notch. P.S. I'm playing on peaceful from now on Razz
    aapl2
    aapl2

Post by aapl2 2011-07-30, 14:24

i think this wold be a cool addition to the server... all you do is build your house 6-7 blocks off the ground.
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

Post by PureCraft 2011-07-30, 23:49

I heard it will restore the original chunk, but doesn't touch players blocks very often.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-04-30, 02:54