Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Orcworm's SMP Server

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to Orcworm's Minecraft SMP Server, located at: orcworm.co.uk

+28
DCN
aapl2
BUD_the_Slacker
thebadhatter
Monstaboi
xbot668
Pete
DoughnutSpanker
blockybalboa
seaNINJA
skoglol
uberblake
PureCraft
Psychotron_3000
Yarwood
Grintendo
krios101
SergentPineapple
FillerB
Ciphon
Albuca
patrickfreed
Rulyon
onlinerocker
Devan12321
GaMerG77
lolyounoob1
Orcworm
32 posters

Seperate world - Everything allowed.

Poll

Should this be introduced?

[ 44 ]
    Seperate world - Everything allowed. Bar_left96%Seperate world - Everything allowed. Bar_right [96%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Seperate world - Everything allowed. Bar_left4%Seperate world - Everything allowed. Bar_right [4%] 

Total Votes: 46
    Poll closed
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Seperate world - Everything allowed. Empty Seperate world - Everything allowed.

Post by Orcworm 2011-07-28, 13:26

This is what I propose, a third world (After Orcworm / Orcworm_Nether) with no holds barred gameplay, that being TNT, creeper explosions, griefing, etc.

I would be keeping plugins like NoCheat and MCBans on just to keep the game fair, past that I would want players to be on their own. If players wanted some sort of difficulty plugin, factions plugin or whatever that'd be cool too.

Is this a good idea? Is it something you'd want to see? Or not?

Bear in mind there are 3 CPU cores idling and a top-end SSD ready and waiting, performance is not a problem.

Will run the poll for 7 days and decide from that.

Past this I may consider disabling PVP on the main worlds, it's pretty much Freebuild there already anyway.
    lolyounoob1
    lolyounoob1

Seperate world - Everything allowed. Empty Re: Seperate world - Everything allowed.

Post by lolyounoob1 2011-07-28, 13:35

I still like the pvp in our regular server, but I think this world might be good for people who want to mess with tnt. Would this be a seperate login or walk through a portal go there kind of thing?
    GaMerG77
    GaMerG77
    Donator
    Donator

Seperate world - Everything allowed. Empty Re: Seperate world - Everything allowed.

Post by GaMerG77 2011-07-28, 13:36

No don't disable it, I made like so many diamond swords.

Lolyou, let's get the team back like in the other server?

Last edited by GaMerG77 on 2011-07-28, 13:38; edited 2 times in total
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-07-28, 13:36

Walk through a portal / stand on this spot, if everything goes to plan.
    GaMerG77
    GaMerG77
    Donator
    Donator

Post by GaMerG77 2011-07-28, 13:38

Add the factions plugin Orc, this is gonna be like the other server me and others went too...
    Devan12321
    Devan12321
    Asshat

Post by Devan12321 2011-07-28, 13:45

I think this would be amazing. i have about 5 people in a faction on another server that is the exact same thing.
    i think this will be fun.
    onlinerocker
    onlinerocker

Post by onlinerocker 2011-07-28, 13:47

This sounds awesome I say do it Smile
    One question of mine is would this world have it's own staff and chat?
    Rulyon
    Rulyon
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Rulyon 2011-07-28, 13:53

Do it. Dooo IIIIIIIIT! Smile
    patrickfreed
    patrickfreed
    Forum Staff
    Forum Staff

Post by patrickfreed 2011-07-28, 13:57

Factions? Copycat. Razz
    GaMerG77
    GaMerG77
    Donator
    Donator

Post by GaMerG77 2011-07-28, 13:59

patrickfreed wrote:Factions? Copycat. Razz

Because your server is so original, right? Razz
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-07-28, 14:03

onlinerocker wrote:This sounds awesome I say do it Smile
    One question of mine is would this world have it's own staff and chat?

It really depends on what plugin(s) I choose to use, could either be a new world with a warp plugin or a new server with a server port plugin.
    Albuca
    Albuca
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Albuca 2011-07-28, 14:17

I likes it =]
    But depending on how you do it, I think there is a plugin that allows you to message staff if they need help.
    Would help if they are on a different server/world with an isolated chat so we can help with spammers/griefers/dick-heads lol

Oh, and vampires anyone? lol
    Ciphon
    Ciphon

Post by Ciphon 2011-07-28, 15:34

i mainly vote yes for the hope that the main world will one day become pvp free, here's a suggestion though...

if the main world does become pvp free one day, you should still leave a huge chunk of it with pvp on , with clear borders, so that those who still enjoy pvp without grief, may proceed on doing just that. im sort of imagining a big place like the one in the book The Hunger Games, if anyone else has read that book they'd know what i mean
    FillerB
    FillerB
    So long and thanks for all the fish!

Post by FillerB 2011-07-28, 18:18

Nice idea but.............
    How are you going to differiate between worlds solely based on screenshots/logs when dealing with complaints? Neither list what world a player is in.
    How are you going to deal with cross-world chat? Teleporting to another world when someone cries grief is a waste of everyones time.
    Is everyone going to get TP in this world or will it be completely disabled?

Now a clear "wild" area where everything is allowed and all is nice, but I think that it is going to bring a massive headache for Staff/Staff-wannabes.

A different/better idea would be along the line of Ciphs suggestion. Make the main world PVP-Free _except_ a medium-small zone of it and give a welcome-message to anyone entering it and disallow Donator-Zones within it's confines. Something along the line of "Welcome to the Wild... Watch your step.". Yes, this all the same problems as I previously mentioned but it does encourage/make pvp more likely to happen since everyone is crammed in a small area. Like a warzone, except you can build and there are no objectives holding you back.
    SergentPineapple
    SergentPineapple

Post by SergentPineapple 2011-07-28, 19:04

yeah i want this new world with tnt and factions plugin would be very cool
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-07-28, 20:26

While on the topic of worlds: I know you're planning to expand the map come 1.8 and don't want to wipe it till Release but given this suggestion of a PVP-world...

Suggestion for when 1.8 is released:
    - Wipe the Worlds so the new features of 1.8 (if any) can be generated
    - Designate 1 worlds (normal) as Freebuild-worlds and block PVP.
    - Designate 1 world (nether) as PVP-world and allow PVP/Grief
    - Protect official Entry/Exit areas in the PVP-world/Nether from grief/PVP so people can enter the place without immediatly dieing.
    - On the Freebuild/Normal-world set up an area where people can build statues (similiar to Models from SpA). Call this area the "Forest of the Giants" or something similiar.
    - On the Freebuild/Normal-world allow an ABSOLUTE maximum of 4-5 Donator zones per player. Yes, there are people who have donated enough by now to zone the entire map. But you have said it yourself: there are too many zones.
    - On the PVP/Nether-world allow NO zones bar those needed to protect the spawn-areas.

So the Nether would be used as the do-what-you-want world. This is appropriate because... well war is hell isn't it?
    krios101

Post by krios101 2011-07-28, 20:59

Do it. You just need factions plugin and the other essentials and you have the recipe for an awesome server Very Happy
    Grintendo
    Grintendo
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Grintendo 2011-07-28, 21:10

I really love this idea. Not sure about my feelings towards TNT though, as i could see ridiculous amounts of *allowed* grief going on Razz.
    GaMerG77
    GaMerG77
    Donator
    Donator

Post by GaMerG77 2011-07-28, 21:18

Grintendo wrote:I really love this idea. Not sure about my feelings towards TNT though, as i could see ridiculous amounts of *allowed* grief going on Razz.
    Don't you dare screw this up for me.
    And FillerB, nah I don't want a nether world for it, what if we wanna go mining? We don't wanna go on the freebuild server and back.
    Grintendo
    Grintendo
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Grintendo 2011-07-28, 21:20

Lol, don't get me wrong i want this, and hey if TNT does seem to fuck things up and make gameplay worse, we can always remove it at a later date. Let's do ittt.

Like someone suggested, Factions would be soo-wweet!

Like Albuca suggested, i've seen a plugin in practice which allows players to list there problem and staff can use whatever commands to check if there's anything on the *waiting list*. This could be ideal if it works multi-world?

FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-07-28, 22:04

GaMerG77 wrote:
    Grintendo wrote:I really love this idea. Not sure about my feelings towards TNT though, as i could see ridiculous amounts of *allowed* grief going on Razz.
    Don't you dare screw this up for me.
    And FillerB, nah I don't want a nether world for it, what if we wanna go mining? We don't wanna go on the freebuild server and back.

I think you got your terms a little bit confused there. I'm suggesting the following:

Overworld = PVP-Disabled, Grief = Ban, 4-5 zones maximum per person
    Nether = PVP-Enabled, Grief = Allowed, no zones. 1 PVP/Grief-protected area to serve as a permanent spawn-zone.

But what is wrong with switching to a dangerous world to go and mine select few blocks. If you want to stay safe at all times, then buy your materials from "adventurers" who brave the dangers of the dark, dark Nether.

Grintendo
    Grintendo
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Grintendo 2011-07-28, 22:10

I'd agree if the Nether was fun and exciting, but sadly i don't feel it is.

A second world where you can have large factions and PVP a lot, (if enough players are present at the time) would be fawking awesome.
    GaMerG77
    GaMerG77
    Donator
    Donator

Post by GaMerG77 2011-07-28, 22:13

FillerB, when I mine I wanna encounter spawners and players to kill which even though is highly unlikely would be fun, I can't do that in the nether since well..mining for netherrack when it's all around you is..kind of weird.

Oh and the only time grief isn't allowed is when it's a place underground so someone HAD to have x-rayed to get to it.
    krios101

Post by krios101 2011-07-28, 22:15

Well if your gonna be serious about factions allow briefing when attacking and raiding chests but keep griefs to attack places within current rules albeit changed somewhat.
    Yarwood
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Yarwood 2011-07-28, 22:19

Skipping most of the posts on page 2:

With it being a "everything goes" (e.g. TNT, Griefing, PvP), I don't see how it could require more than 1 staff member on it at a time? Only thing I can think of is chat-abuse etc.
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-07-28, 22:36

A very good point. But my original one still stands: how are you going to differiate between different worlds solely based on screenshots/logs/chat when dealing with complaints both ingame and out?

Let me explain:

Orc's Suggestion
    - Server
    --- World: Overworld (PVP-Disabled - Grief = Ban)
    --- World: Nether (PVP-Disabled - Grief = Ban)
    --- World: Chaos (PVP-Enabled - Griefable)

Now think about our current setup: When someone shouts "GRIEF!" in the Nether players on the Overworld can hear it too. What happens when someone shouts "GRIEF!" on Chaos? Why every Staff-(wannabe) TPs over and eventually finds out that it happened on the Chaos world. Result: chatspam with tons of "lolnub".

Everyone can clearly see the difference between the Nether and the Overworld. But could you, at a glance, see the difference between two different Overworlds? If someone posts a complaint with a picture of grief (something that we _will_ get a lot if this goes through) could you immediatly see that it is in the Chaos or in the regular Overworld? Unless we can have a _clear_ distinction, both in-game and in the logs, when someone is in this Chaos-world, I believe this is simple going to be more trouble than it is worth.

That is not to say that this isn't a good idea. It clearly is since unscheduled PVP is pretty much impossible on a map the size of ours, but think about how we would administrate it too.
    Grintendo
    Grintendo
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Grintendo 2011-07-28, 23:04

This is why we need a good FillerB. Always looking into it and finding the flaws Razz.

You're right, as for dealing with it in-game, we could install the plugin that allows players to call upon a staff member like mentioned in this thread previously.

As for forum reports... Well... I'm stuck Razz.
    Psychotron_3000
    Psychotron_3000

Post by Psychotron_3000 2011-07-28, 23:28

Faction Warfare and McMMO. This would be so good!
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-07-28, 23:35

FillerB wrote:
    Everyone can clearly see the difference between the Nether and the Overworld. But could you, at a glance, see the difference between two different Overworlds? If someone posts a complaint with a picture of grief (something that we _will_ get a lot if this goes through) could you immediatly see that it is in the Chaos or in the regular Overworld? Unless we can have a _clear_ distinction, both in-game and in the logs, when someone is in this Chaos-world, I believe this is simple going to be more trouble than it is worth.

You're good with Java though aren't you? ... xD
    Albuca
    Albuca
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Albuca 2011-07-29, 00:05

Just throwing this out there, but I know there are seperate permissions files for seperate worlds, what if we throw a red C before everyones in game chat if they are in the chaos world? Which would only take effect if they are indeed in the chaos world
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-07-29, 00:12

... That might work for in-game purposes. To the Test-Mobile!
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

Post by PureCraft 2011-07-29, 00:34

Let me drink my coffee before you call me in again Bunny!
    Grintendo
    Grintendo
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Grintendo 2011-07-29, 00:35

This is why every server needs an Albuca :p.
    patrickfreed
    patrickfreed
    Forum Staff
    Forum Staff

Post by patrickfreed 2011-07-29, 00:36

...or just common sense. There is a +world config for iChat. Razz
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-07-29, 00:46

How about you apply that common sense Patrick.

[Earth][Staff]FillerB: To the bat-mobile!
    [Chaos][Guest]RandomMcGuestyPants: OMGGRIEEFFFF!
    [Earth][Donator]RandomFaggot: Nooooooooooooob

As you can see: the +world tag isn't that usefull here because it makes the tag/name-part of messages ridiculously long.
    GaMerG77
    GaMerG77
    Donator
    Donator

Post by GaMerG77 2011-07-29, 00:57

Or you can make it one character like Albuca suggested.
    ]C][Guest]RandomNub: Staff staff someone griefd me!11!
    ]E][Donator]RandomScrub: So what, nub

Last edited by GaMerG77 on 2011-07-29, 00:59; edited 3 times in total
    patrickfreed
    patrickfreed
    Forum Staff
    Forum Staff

Post by patrickfreed 2011-07-29, 00:58

I see nothing wrong with those tags honestly.
    Also, how is iChat supposed to know what you want it to print the world name out as Gamer? Razz
    Albuca
    Albuca
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Albuca 2011-07-29, 01:46

Woot Woot! =]
    Only thing is, people better talk when they take screenshots lol.
    I wonder what LB says when you throw it down? It dosnt identify what world its in, does it?
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-07-29, 02:33

Would this be better suited as a standalone server or a different world on the main server? The prior would be much easier as far as management is concerned, performance would also be much better - downside is you'd obviously have to connect on a different port, such as 'orcworm.co.uk:25566'

Linking the chat would not be a problem with either solution, if you wanted it linked that is.
    uberblake
    uberblake

Post by uberblake 2011-07-29, 02:51

hmmm...yes...a different server...
    lolyounoob1
    lolyounoob1

Post by lolyounoob1 2011-07-29, 02:59

GaMerG77 wrote:No don't disable it, I made like so many diamond swords.

Lolyou, let's get the team back like in the other server?

Sure but we don't have jarvisd :O someone will need to get diamonds Sad

Factions are fun, but there are alot of faction servers out there
    Albuca
    Albuca
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Albuca 2011-07-29, 03:11

Is there a plugin that will connect you to the different server whilest in one?
    So you can goto orcworm.co.uk and take a portal to orcworm.co.uk:11223
    Keep the chats seperate, but we should look at the possibility of a request staff assistance plugin, or a global shoutout to all staff plugin.
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-07-29, 03:14

Albuca wrote:Is there a plugin that will connect you to the different server whilest in one?
    So you can goto orcworm.co.uk and take a portal to orcworm.co.uk:11223

There are a few but it seems they all need some sort of clientside modification to reconnect to the server you ported to.
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-07-29, 03:28

You said it yourself Orc. The server will take a (massive?) hit when trying to run 2 concurrent servers. Besides it would still leave you with the "screenshot-problem". If you want to do this then an extra world is the way to go. If there was a way to stop crossworld-chat/crossworld-tp (and I would be _very_ surprised if there isn't one) then that would solve most of the problems from an in-game perspective. As for screenshots... well we're gonna just have to live with that.
    onlinerocker
    onlinerocker

Post by onlinerocker 2011-07-29, 03:46

I say this would be best with a whole new server, and a whole new staff. But of course it would be very difficult to run two whole servers, or would it?
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-07-29, 04:08

FillerB wrote:You said it yourself Orc. The server will take a (massive?) hit when trying to run 2 concurrent servers.

Any sort of performance hit would be much lower running a seperate server than another world. Why put that single CPU core under even more load when you can run another server on the three idling?

The thing with another world is making sure the permissions work correctly for each world independantly, we wouldn't want people bringing their factions into the wrong world or having LWC in the wrong world, etc.
    skoglol
    skoglol

Post by skoglol 2011-07-29, 04:31

This sounds like a good idea, although I don't think disabling pvp completely in the main world would be the best solution. There are already plenty safe areas to hide if you don't want to pvp.

Also, I would prefer it if the new everything goes world was accessible from the main world, giving us the opportunity to bring items such as weapons, armor and tnt with us. I for one wouldn't bother making a mob trap to gather sulphur in such a world, as it is simply too much work to have someone just drop a ton of tnt on it. Any chance we could also have a home plugin with a long warmup on this world? Same goes for extensive diamond mining, considering people could loot it directly from the chests if they wanted.

As for grief reports, surely noone will report a grief in a world where grief is allowed? If they're in there, they should be well aware of the rules.
    Albuca
    Albuca
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Albuca 2011-07-29, 04:47

I dont think we'd need a whole slate of new staff for the "new" world, since it would mainly be someones hacking or so and so is chat spamming.
    Griefing is allowed as is stealing and all that. Not a lot to moderate in my books.
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-07-29, 05:12

@Orc Good point but as the others said: gathering items for the hunt would be very difficult. Not to mention that the primary server would then attract even less of a crowd. If/when this additional world goes through maybe you could reduce the size of the primary maps. It's not like all that space is used anyway.

As for grief reports, surely noone will report a grief in a world where grief is allowed? If they're in there, they should be well aware of the rules.
    I admire your innocent thinking but believe me when I say that the average player IS that stupid.

Albuca wrote:I dont think we'd need a whole slate of new staff for the "new" world, since it would mainly be someones hacking or so and so is chat spamming.
    Griefing is allowed as is stealing and all that. Not a lot to moderate in my books.
    I can't believe you would even take that suggestion serious. It is pathetically obvious what he was hinting at.
    seaNINJA
    seaNINJA

Post by seaNINJA 2011-07-29, 05:43

I think it should be a whole knew server but i do like the idea! Making gangs to go out and kill people Smile
    But whatever is fine

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-10, 06:40