Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Orcworm's SMP Server

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to Orcworm's Minecraft SMP Server, located at: orcworm.co.uk

+8
PureCraft
Krellyn
DoughnutSpanker
Monstaboi
The_Music_Man
Yarwood
Orcworm
sieve
12 posters

I will never purchase another PC game published by Electronic Arts ever again.

sieve
    sieve

I will never purchase another PC game published by Electronic Arts ever again. Empty I will never purchase another PC game published by Electronic Arts ever again.

Post by sieve 2011-08-25, 12:49

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/24/eas-origin-eula-proves-even-more-sinister/

TL;DR, Origin is spyware that scans your hard drive and sells your personal information to third parties. This coupled with all the other shit they've done to destroy PC gaming has pretty much ensured that I either pirate all their games from now on or simply rent/buy them used for consoles. Fuck EA, fuck Origin, and fuck greedy corporations.
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

I will never purchase another PC game published by Electronic Arts ever again. Empty Re: I will never purchase another PC game published by Electronic Arts ever again.

Post by Orcworm 2011-08-25, 12:55

In related news, MW3 server files will apparently be public. I know which game I'm buying.
    sieve
    sieve

I will never purchase another PC game published by Electronic Arts ever again. Empty Re: I will never purchase another PC game published by Electronic Arts ever again.

Post by sieve 2011-08-25, 13:00

Compared to spyware and $60 dlc, my deluxe preorder Red Orchestra 2 is looking better and better..
    Yarwood
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Yarwood 2011-08-25, 13:06

What the fuck do you think PUNKBUSTER or VAC do, eh?
    The_Music_Man
    The_Music_Man

Post by The_Music_Man 2011-08-25, 13:07

Fuck EA; I wait to buy games on Steam when they're at like 80% off.
    I is so smrrt :F

EDIT: Yarwood, Punkbuster is the WORST cheat detection/prevention system EVER
    And VAC is too unforgiving.

Last edited by The_Music_Man on 2011-08-25, 13:11; edited 1 time in total
    sieve
    sieve

Post by sieve 2011-08-25, 13:08

Yarwood wrote:What the fuck do you think PUNKBUSTER or VAC do, eh?

It goes into that in the article; VAC and PB aren't even on the same level as Origin in terms of disregarding privacy.
    Monstaboi
    Monstaboi

Post by Monstaboi 2011-08-25, 13:17

i feel your pain, i bought alice madness returns, took me weeks to get it to work, in fact, i just got it to work yesterday. and i installed origin in the process, better uninstall that asap.
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-08-25, 13:36

sieve wrote:Compared to spyware and $60 dlc, my deluxe preorder Red Orchestra 2 is looking better and better..

>deluxe

You can't be serious.
    sieve
    sieve

Post by sieve 2011-08-25, 13:38

The things I do for hats, KF skins and beta access
    DoughnutSpanker
    DoughnutSpanker
    Donator
    Donator

Post by DoughnutSpanker 2011-08-25, 14:19

sieve wrote:hats
    I HATE YOU
    Krellyn
    Krellyn

Post by Krellyn 2011-08-25, 15:25

The_Music_Man wrote:Fuck EA; I wait to buy games on Steam when they're at like 80% off.

Sure, buy BF3 from Steam. It's the same shit as buying it from EA themselves. You're going to have Origin on your system which will be a piece of shit; And by buying the game, you are accepting the Terms of Service, which will state that Origin will be used on your computer.

_
    Punkbuster is terrible, and so is VAC. Vac has never been good; Neither has punkbuster.

EDIT: Oh, and they both run in the background even after you've closed down the game, or even Steam for that matter. They're constantly recording data. How do you think these shitty Hack Detection developers try to catch the hackers? >_>.
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

Post by PureCraft 2011-08-25, 18:33

The_Music_Man wrote:Fuck EA; I wait to buy games on Steam when they're at like 80% off.
    Implying the game will ever release on steam
    Orcworm wrote:
    sieve wrote:Compared to spyware and $60 dlc, my deluxe preorder Red Orchestra 2 is looking better and better..

>deluxe

You can't be serious.
    Haters gonna hate
    Deathsplat
    Deathsplat

Post by Deathsplat 2011-08-26, 01:56

Dead space 3
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

Post by PureCraft 2011-08-26, 01:58

Deathsplat wrote:Dead space 3
    1. day pirate
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-08-26, 02:18

Mad That just ruined Sims for me
    sieve
    sieve

Post by sieve 2011-08-26, 07:35

NeroTheDarklord wrote: Mad That just ruined Sims for me

you should be fine, only new releases require origin as far as I know
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

Post by PureCraft 2011-08-26, 08:16

sieve wrote:
    NeroTheDarklord wrote: Mad That just ruined Sims for me

you should be fine, only new releases require origin as far as I know
    implying there are no new expansions coming out for the Sims 3... its a moneycow for EA anyways.
    Yarwood
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Yarwood 2011-08-26, 09:27

This whole thread is fail
    GoDjMike
    GoDjMike

Post by GoDjMike 2011-08-26, 10:00

Yarwood wrote:This whole thread is fail

*Cough* So was Medal of Honor Smile
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

Post by PureCraft 2011-08-26, 10:25

Yarwood wrote:This whole thread is fail
    Says the EA whore who is in the Alpha...
    Yarwood
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Yarwood 2011-08-26, 10:38

sieve wrote:
    Yarwood wrote:What the fuck do you think PUNKBUSTER or VAC do, eh?

It goes into that in the article; VAC and PB aren't even on the same level as Origin in terms of disregarding privacy.

Are you kidding?

Both, do exactly this:

you are giving EA permission to “collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer, operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware.”

Even the Steam client itself does that.

Did you know any website can also see what OS, browser, etc, you have, and most will resell that too.

Did you know google saves what you search? Then they use it to advertise it to you..
    Which is basically this;
    And then even more creepily, they say they intend to take such information, combine it with personal information about you, and use it to advertise directly to you.
    aapl2
    aapl2

Post by aapl2 2011-08-26, 11:27

battlefield 3 looks so good though.
    sieve
    sieve

Post by sieve 2011-08-26, 13:04

google only uses the stuff you give it, plus you can change your privacy settings fairly easily so it doesn't record your history. If you are opposed to PB or VAC, you don't have to install them for almost any game with a singleplayer component. Plus since those are anti cheat systems, they have to scan your harddrive in order to verify that you aren't using cheating software. Origin is a distribution service, you need to submit to these harddrive scans even for singleplayer games. And once again, Valve is the only one who sees your info from Steam, info that is ONLY RELATED TO VALVE GAMES. EA not only scans your hard drive for EVERYTHING, but it sells your info to unnamed third parties.
    Yarwood
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Yarwood 2011-08-26, 13:15

Where exactly does it say it sells your info the third parties?

And no, Steam collect all your hardware details & OS, and not only use them for their own Hardware Survey Stats, they pass them to third-party companys too.
    sieve
    sieve

Post by sieve 2011-08-26, 13:21

Yes.. except Steam's hardware survey is entirely optional and they do not sell your info to third parties

suits wrote:EA may also use this information combined with personal information for marketing purposes and to improve our products and services. We may also share that data with our third party service providers

article wrote:But there’s a significant difference. Valve’s policy is self-restricted to anything on your PC directly relating to its own products. EA’s is so broad that it gives the publisher permission to scan your entire hard drive, and report back absolutely anything you may have installed, and indeed when you may use it, and then pass that information on the third parties.

Steam Privacy Policy wrote:Valve will not share personally identifiable information with any third party unless the user agrees to such disclosure in advance.

Anything else?
    Monstaboi
    Monstaboi

Post by Monstaboi 2011-08-26, 23:39

SIEVE used THE FACTS!
    It's super effective!
    Wild TROLLWOOD was defeated!
    SIEVE gained 127 EXP!
    Yarwood
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Yarwood 2011-08-27, 00:26

*Personally identifiable information is classed as "Name, IP Address, Date of Birth, Email Address" etc.

"EA’s is so broad that it gives the publisher permission"

Considering EA is actually the publisher of EVERYTHING on Origin, this statement is a fuck up.

You can find similar snippets of agreements in almost every major games' EULAs, even the Call of Duty series..

Straight from Valves Policy:

Spoiler:

The most interesting part of this is;
    "In some situations, personally identifiable information you input in connection with Steam may be made available to other users of Steam."

There's so many other companys that monitor what you do and DO resell it.
    sieve
    sieve

Post by sieve 2011-08-27, 06:37

Yarwood wrote:Personally identifiable information protected under this privacy policy and collected from users may be done in conjunction with associates under agreement with Valve. If an associate of Valve is collecting such personally identifiable information within one of our products or online sites, Valve will make users aware of this at the time the information is gathered. For example, product registration data for Half-Life is collected by Sierra Entertainment. If a user does not want to provide this information, the user may choose to opt out of providing this information. Additionally, if providing the information is a requirement of usage, the user may decline to use that particular service or product. When possible, Valve will make a reasonable effort to direct users to the privacy polices of these associates.

At the end of the day, Valve not only tells you when your information (information which, I will say again, only relates to games) is being sent to other parties and tells you what information that is, and also gives you an opportunity to decline sending that information. Just by downloading Origin, you surrender your privacy to EA and it's partners and give them the right to send ANYTHING on your harddrive to whoever they see fit to release.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-04-28, 17:20