Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Orcworm's SMP Server

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to Orcworm's Minecraft SMP Server, located at: orcworm.co.uk

+10
Rulyon
onlinerocker
GoDjMike
GaMerG77
patrickfreed
darkxephos
DoughnutSpanker
Rykleos
sieve
Krellyn
14 posters

ITT: Books

Krellyn
    Krellyn

ITT: Books Empty ITT: Books

Post by Krellyn 2011-10-14, 06:51

What kinds of books do you read? Do you read any novels? What up?

I ordered 3 new books from this local bookstore last week:

- "Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and The Macabre" by H. P. Lovecraft
    - "Tales of The Cthulhu Mythos" by H. P. Lovecraft and others
    - "Soul of The Fire" by Terry Goodkind.

Soul of The Fire is the 5th book in The Sword of Truth series. I've been addicted to it for a while. Definitely some good reads in there.

Also, always been interested in reading some Lovecraft since a buddy of mind from high school was geeking out about his writing style.

So, here's the question: What kind of books or novels do you guys read, if you do, indeed read. ( the age range on the forum sets that off Wink )
    Krellyn
    Krellyn

ITT: Books Empty Re: ITT: Books

Post by Krellyn 2011-10-14, 06:51

sieve
    sieve

Post by sieve 2011-10-14, 06:53

Reading Metro 2033 right now
    Rykleos
    Rykleos

Post by Rykleos 2011-10-14, 07:02

Trying to stumble through pt. 3 of the Hunger Games series, Mockingjay. It's quite good.
    Krellyn
    Krellyn

Post by Krellyn 2011-10-14, 07:20

sieve wrote:Reading Metro 2033 right now

Is it a history of the game? How related is it to the game?

Rykleos wrote:Trying to stumble through pt. 3 of the Hunger Games series, Mockingjay. It's quite good.

Is that the sci-fi series? I think I've seen it at an Indigo around here. If it is, what the heck are you doing reading that stuff.
    sieve
    sieve

Post by sieve 2011-10-14, 07:23

Krellyn wrote:Is it a history of the game? How related is it to the game?
    It's a russian novel the game is based on. I'm reading the english translation. It has a sequel that doesn't have to do with the new Metro game, but unfortunately it hasn't been translated yet
    DoughnutSpanker
    DoughnutSpanker
    Donator
    Donator

Post by DoughnutSpanker 2011-10-14, 07:57

My favorite series has to be the Inheritance Trilogy (even though he is actually coming out with a 4th book) by Christopher Paolini. Other favorites would be Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, along with basically any book by Roland Smith. One of my favorites by Smith is Peak.

Currently reading The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
    Krellyn
    Krellyn

Post by Krellyn 2011-10-14, 08:33

DoughnutSpanker wrote:My favorite series has to be the Inheritance Trilogy (even though he is actually coming out with a 4th book) by Christopher Paolini. Other favorites would be Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, along with basically any book by Roland Smith. One of my favorites by Smith is Peak.

Currently reading The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I sense either a curious joe, or a troll.
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Location : A secret location off the south side of the Erskine bridge

Post by darkxephos 2011-10-14, 08:42

I loved "The Last Dragon Chronicles" by Chris d'Lacey. They are great. I'm shit at explaining stuff, so i suggest that you just google them and buy them, you will not regret it.
    DoughnutSpanker
    DoughnutSpanker
    Donator
    Donator

Post by DoughnutSpanker 2011-10-14, 09:15

Krellyn wrote:I sense either a curious joe, or a troll.
    I started off curious, and now, it actually sounds like it could be a viable religion. Its based on science, and gives explanations to things no other religion touches, such as what causes gravity. No, not a mass, but what CAUSES gravity. The Gospel says that it is Him touching us with his great noodly appendages.

:3

Oh, and I'm also reading a series of books by Don Brown, name escapes me. They are crime-thriller-mystery novels.
    patrickfreed
    patrickfreed
    Forum Staff
    Forum Staff

Post by patrickfreed 2011-10-14, 09:22

I've read all of the Holmes novels, a ton of Agatha Christie stuff, and 6 1/2 of the Harry Potter Series. I enjoyed them all but my favorites are And Then There Were None an The Hound of the Baskervilles.
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Location : A secret location off the south side of the Erskine bridge

Post by darkxephos 2011-10-14, 09:43

patrickfreed wrote:I've read all of the Holmes novels

That's something elsei liked, the Sherlock Holmes books.
    GaMerG77
    GaMerG77
    Donator
    Donator

Post by GaMerG77 2011-10-14, 09:59

I'm reading "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins.
    Very nice book. Gonna read the others in order once I'm done with this one.
    sieve
    sieve

Post by sieve 2011-10-14, 10:10

Also I finished Masters of Doom about a week ago, interesting book
    GoDjMike
    GoDjMike

Post by GoDjMike 2011-10-14, 10:34

I've been reading political books recently, lol. Those being "New Deal or Raw Deal" by Burton Fulsom Jr. and another one, not worth mentioning, which was flawed in every other sentence. As for books for entertainment, Lord of the Flies was quite good, although I was forced to read it for English Razz
    onlinerocker
    onlinerocker

Post by onlinerocker 2011-10-14, 11:31

GaMerG77 wrote:I'm reading "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins.
    Very nice book. Gonna read the others in order once I'm done with this one.
    Thats one of my favorite book series. All three of the books are great. My favorite was the third as it really wraps up the story.
    Rulyon
    Rulyon
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Rulyon 2011-10-14, 11:43

Krellyn wrote:What kinds of books do you read? Do you read any novels? What up?

Soul of The Fire is the 5th book in The Sword of Truth series. I've been addicted to it for a while. Definitely some good reads in there.

Also, always been interested in reading some Lovecraft since a buddy of mind from high school was geeking out about his writing style.

So, here's the question: What kind of books or novels do you guys read, if you do, indeed read. ( the age range on the forum sets that off Wink )

Another Terry Goodkind reader! Hat's off to you, sir. I've been a fan of his work since I read his first book; I have every book he wrote with the exception of The Law of Nines (It's not a Richard/Kahlan novel, it's a mystery/thriller). My favorite of his series is Faith of the Fallen. Just a heads up, Debt of Bones is not focused on Richard and Kahlan like the others; its primary purpose is to set up some history with Zedd.

May I recommend The Wheel of Time series as complimentary material? The genre is very similar.

I've read a few of the classics: Moby Dick, Huckleberry Finn, and yes, War and Peace.

The genres I read tend towards Sci-Fi/Fantasy and Romance. A list of my favored authors include:

Terry Goodkind, Timothy Zahn, Robert Heinlen, Issac Assimov, A C Crispin, Mary Balogh, Susan Wiggs, Suzanne Ledbetter, Janet Evanovich, Barb and J.C. Hendee, J. R. R. Tolkien. This is certainly not a comprehensive list, and I'd be willing to expand upon it should anyone ask me to.
    Krellyn
    Krellyn

Post by Krellyn 2011-10-14, 12:23

Rulyon wrote:
    Krellyn wrote:What kinds of books do you read? Do you read any novels? What up?

Another Terry Goodkind reader! Hat's off to you, sir. I've been a fan of his work since I read his first book; I have every book he wrote with the exception of The Law of Nines (It's not a Richard/Kahlan novel, it's a mystery/thriller). My favorite of his series is Faith of the Fallen. Just a heads up, Debt of Bones is not focused on Richard and Kahlan like the others; its primary purpose is to set up some history with Zedd.

May I recommend The Wheel of Time series as complimentary material? The genre is very similar.

I've read a few of the classics: Moby Dick, Huckleberry Finn, and yes, War and Peace.

The genres I read tend towards Sci-Fi/Fantasy and Romance. A list of my favored authors include:

Terry Goodkind, Timothy Zahn, Robert Heinlen, Issac Assimov, A C Crispin, Mary Balogh, Susan Wiggs, Suzanne Ledbetter, Janet Evanovich, Barb and J.C. Hendee, J. R. R. Tolkien. This is certainly not a comprehensive list, and I'd be willing to expand upon it should anyone ask me to.

I already knew about Debt of Bones. The friend of mine who got me into The Sword of Truth warned me about it ahead of time hahaha.

I will definitely be checking out The Wheel of Time.

Faith of The Fallen is the 6th book. I'm currently reading Temple of the Winds. It's SOOOOO GOOOOODDDD right now.
    FillerB
    FillerB
    So long and thanks for all the fish!

Post by FillerB 2011-10-14, 20:17

No Terry Pratchett (Discworld) NOR Stephen King (The Dark Tower, IT, Carrie among others) NOR Douglas Adams (H2G2, Dirk Gently) NOR Scott Westerfeld (Leviathan/Behemoth/Goliath) NOR Robert Heinle... oh he's named. Still... for shame people.

Also "The Hunger Games" should really have stopped at the second book. The whole District 13/rebellion-business was miles worse than the Games themselves.
    Chazdude42
    Chazdude42

Post by Chazdude42 2011-10-14, 23:24

FillerB wrote:The Dark Tower

<3
    Krellyn
    Krellyn

Post by Krellyn 2011-10-15, 02:54

FillerB wrote:No Terry Pratchett (Discworld) NOR Stephen King (The Dark Tower, IT, Carrie among others) NOR Douglas Adams (H2G2, Dirk Gently) NOR Scott Westerfeld (Leviathan/Behemoth/Goliath) NOR Robert Heinle... oh he's named. Still... for shame people.

Also "The Hunger Games" should really have stopped at the second book. The whole District 13/rebellion-business was miles worse than the Games themselves.

Spoiler? D:

The only Stephen King I have is in this Tales of The Cthulhu Mythos. He made one story in there.
    I've never read a Stephen King book because it seems that they're all used—in a sense. Like.. everyone knows everything about the book is how I see it...
    killerd0nkey
    killerd0nkey

Post by killerd0nkey 2011-10-15, 03:59

Twighlight ... I troll im actually reading "The Prisoner of the Inquisition"
    Krellyn
    Krellyn

Post by Krellyn 2011-10-15, 04:13

killerd0nkey wrote:Twighlight ... I troll im actually reading "The Prisoner of the Inquisition"

You know I've read the first 3 twilight books, and when the 4th book's first chapter was release, I was pissed?

No, I'm only joking. I read them all.
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-10-15, 06:38

Krellyn wrote:Spoiler? D:
    Not really a spoiler since A) it means absolutely zilch if you haven't read the books and B) it is not a spoiler if you even paid the slightest attention to the first two books.

(For those who are wondering what the fuck I'm even doing here... I'm waiting for the reply of a couple of PMs)
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

Post by PureCraft 2011-10-15, 07:05

FillerB wrote:
    Krellyn wrote:Spoiler? D:
    Not really a spoiler since A) it means absolutely zilch if you haven't read the books and B) it is not a spoiler if you even paid the slightest attention to the first two books.

(For those who are wondering what the fuck I'm even doing here... I'm waiting for the reply of a couple of PMs)
    I knew you son of a bitch couldn't stay away from my forums.
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-10-15, 07:23

A) Read the thing between the ()'s.
    B) Your trolling ass can't even handle taking care of a bridge, much less a forum.
    C) Fuck you too PC.
    DoughnutSpanker
    DoughnutSpanker
    Donator
    Donator

Post by DoughnutSpanker 2011-10-15, 07:32

<3 you filler... Razz
    patrickfreed
    patrickfreed
    Forum Staff
    Forum Staff

Post by patrickfreed 2011-10-15, 07:48

It was ruly's forum, not sure whose it is now. Razz
    Also, I read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Restaurant at the End of the Universe, and have a copy of So Long and Thanks for all the Fish that I checked out of my elementary school library like 8 years ago, still haven't read it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-04-28, 18:35