Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Orcworm's SMP Server

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to Orcworm's Minecraft SMP Server, located at: orcworm.co.uk

+5
FillerB
Orcworm
Devan12321
Pete
Kevy_Kev
9 posters

Strategy Games

Kevy_Kev
    Kevy_Kev

Strategy Games Empty Strategy Games

Post by Kevy_Kev 2011-02-07, 13:09

Wasn't sure whether or not to open a thread like this; but I thought the results may be interesting.

What are your views on Strategy games? Things like Age of Empires and stuff. I'm a big PC gamer and strategy is probably my favourite genre (apart from Lucasarts Adventure games </tryingtobeoldfag>)

I'm currently playing two strategy games that are sort of like the board game risk. One is an ongoing one which is on a mass scale; erepublik, and one that is a round based game where you set up a match and it lasts for 40ish days and can include up to 30 people playing as different countries.

I'ma try to write a small review on them. try them if you're interested.

Erepublik is a browser based strategy game with 60+ countries battling out for dominance. The game itself is quite developed with a economy, political, media and war module. Each is quite interesting. eg You could own a business empire in companies or you could run for president. (I just ran for President of the UK. I lost by 40 votes. ;_______; ) The game itself has a fun community and a fair few of the people I know play minecraft; I've sent them over to Orcworms server. not sure how many have made it though! Razz

UK is currently in a war with Canada; but we might be in a war with USA soon; since they are not friendly towards us. D:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Added an image; click if you wanna check it out. :3

Supremacy 1914 was the other one I was talking about. It's based on regions from the year 1914 (obviously) and each person starts off with one country and moves troops, tanks, battleships etc and takes over other countries. the Two maps are 10 player (europe) and 30 player (most of the world) and can be quite fun especially if you are playing with a bunch of friends (as you team up and beat other people >: D ) If anyone is interested I could set up a match and we could play it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sorry if you count this as advertising but I wanted a legit thread on strategy games as I didn't see one in off-topic yet. Razz

Do you play any strategy games? discuss below. :3
    Pete
    Pete

Strategy Games Empty Re: Strategy Games

Post by Pete 2011-02-07, 14:21

The Battle for Wesnoth

Well, my favourite one is[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], it's a Turn Based Strategy game, based on hexes. (Kinda like Fire Emblem, but with hex instead of squares, and losing units is completely necessary to win.) It's my favourite game like, ever, even more so than Minecraft, and I'm a translator for them. It's Open Source and compatible with Windows, Mac and Linux. The mainline content is based on medieval fights, with six factions (Drakes, Loyalists, Rebels, Knalgas, Northeners, and Undead), and several races; humans which have horsemen, knights and even thieves, drakes, with several humanoid dragons, some using armor and spears, others using claws and breathing fire, elves, with shamans, swordsmen and archers, dwarves with gryphon riders and guardsmen, orcs with grunts, assassins and wolf riders, trolls with rock throwers and fist-hitters, goblins with spearmen, woses, which are massive trees that move, flesh golems, skeleton fighters and dark mages, and even monsters, which include from wolves to deep-sea creatures and skeletal dragons.

The game also has several campaigns shipped with it, stories about the rise of Wesnoth, and how King Haldric III fought the dreadful Lich to regain control over Wesnoth, and how prince Konrad fights Princess Li'sar for the Ruby of Fire to become kings, and how Elven High Lord Kalenz fights off the orc invasion to protect his people from certain death.

The game has an interesting gameplay, where the leader recruits units from a keep to other castle hexes, and different units fight better or worse on different terrains, such as mountains, forests, hills, water, grassland, desert and more, while capturing villages to obtain income.

Each of the six factions has 6-11 recruits, each of them advancing to level 2, most to 3 and some even to 4. Level 5 is exclusively used in campaigns, and only for one unit.

This, of course, is only the mainline content, since there are several add-ons created by people, which add even 100 new factions in total, and at least 50 new campaigns. Of course, not all of these are up to mainline standards, and some of these are completely different to the game, including RPG elements and terrain changing, and even spaceships and time travel.

The artwork is sincerely exquisite, both the sprites for units and the portraits are perfect, or near to it, anyways, and the terrain art is excellent too, considering how small they are. The animations are completely incredible, be it attack ones, terrain graphics or even idle animations, and they add a good charm to the game.

The prose given in the text is very good, and gives an interesting medieval feeling. There are translations to most languages, but not all of them are 100% done, since the game is updated every hour. That is trunk, of course, since the stable release is updated only once a month, and most minor updates aren't necessary, so the only actually needed updates are every six months or so.

If you ever get bored of campaigns, you can play incredibly amusing matches in the multiplayer server, being with the extremely intelligent AI, or up to 8 more players. There are also many downloadable maps and even scenarios, which add a lot of gameplay, and even campaigns for more than one player.

Sincerely, my favourite game, even if Orcworm dislikes it.

Tip, the first line has a link to it's official website.
    Devan12321
    Devan12321
    Asshat

Post by Devan12321 2011-02-07, 15:02

Warcraft 3... kinda old... but really fun and tons of new maps are made each day
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-02-07, 18:35

Company of Heroes is the only strategy game worth playing, period.
    FillerB
    FillerB
    So long and thanks for all the fish!

Post by FillerB 2011-02-07, 19:13

Orcworm wrote:Company of Heroes is the only strategy game worth playing, period.
    haha no.

For turnbased strategy I'm quite the fan of the Advance Wars-series for the GBA. The first DS-iteration (Dual Strik) was unfortunately broken as fuck, the second (Days of Ruins) had an excellent story but somehow the grimdark setting, while more realistic then the happy-go-lucky one from the games before, and the new characters didn't really grip my attention. Still an excellent game though.

Besides this every single Nippon-Ichi (Disgaea, Phantom Brave) game is worth playing. Sure you will be level-grinding A LOT to defeat the bonus bosses but it is really rewarding.

For real-time strategy you really can't go wrong with Age of Empires 2. Anything else, besides maaaybe Warcraft 3: TFT and Age of Mythology, isn't worth talking about.

And as for ye olde pointing ande klicking adventures... LucasArts is the master. Money Island, Sam and Max: Hit the road, Indiana Jones. Fuck yeah. The new Telltale-games, while good, just don't seem to capture the magic of those old games. Using pigdisgusting polygons may have something to do with that. Other cool games are, of course, Quest for Glory and The Dig.
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

Post by PureCraft 2011-02-07, 22:36

Starcraft and Stronghold (everything beyond crusader sucks.)
    that should be enough.
    JuncoPartner
    JuncoPartner
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by JuncoPartner 2011-02-08, 03:26

Starcraft was excellent, though I got bored of Brood war.

The online gameplay use to be brill, roll back a few years, but now it's all Polish people, with 'PL' only games, so I would have to pretend I that I was polish. I don't think Marine is spelt Marinez in Polish.
    Monstaboi
    Monstaboi

Post by Monstaboi 2011-02-08, 06:17

warhammer, anyone?
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

Post by PureCraft 2011-02-08, 06:34

no, I dont even know where that series starts.
    Monstaboi
    Monstaboi

Post by Monstaboi 2011-02-08, 07:03

i have no idea either, but its fun sometimes.
    FillerB
    FillerB
    So long and thanks for all the fish!

Post by FillerB 2011-02-08, 09:17

Monstaboi wrote:warhammer, anyone?

Which? Plain Fantasy or 40K?
    E Karney
    E Karney

Post by E Karney 2011-02-08, 12:04

FillerB wrote:
    Orcworm wrote:Company of Heroes is the only strategy game worth playing, period.
    haha no.

For turnbased strategy I'm quite the fan of the Advance Wars-series for the GBA. The first DS-iteration (Dual Strik) was unfortunately broken as fuck, the second (Days of Ruins) had an excellent story but somehow the grimdark setting, while more realistic then the happy-go-lucky one from the games before, and the new characters didn't really grip my attention. Still an excellent game though.

Besides this every single Nippon-Ichi (Disgaea, Phantom Brave) game is worth playing. Sure you will be level-grinding A LOT to defeat the bonus bosses but it is really rewarding.

For real-time strategy you really can't go wrong with Age of Empires 2. Anything else, besides maaaybe Warcraft 3: TFT and Age of Mythology, isn't worth talking about.

And as for ye olde pointing ande klicking adventures... LucasArts is the master. Money Island, Sam and Max: Hit the road, Indiana Jones. Fuck yeah. The new Telltale-games, while good, just don't seem to capture the magic of those old games. Using pigdisgusting polygons may have something to do with that. Other cool games are, of course, Quest for Glory and The Dig.
    i agree with you on age of mythology and the adavanced wars series, i remember all the time i spent editing maps on both games but i never could really figure out any of the crazy stuff (creating my own campaigns and whatnot) on AOM so i would just create massive armies and pit them against each other.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-10, 12:07