Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Orcworm's SMP Server

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to Orcworm's Minecraft SMP Server, located at: orcworm.co.uk

+5
Draf
MikeChild
Xltimus
filmjolk
MiRROW
9 posters

When do we start to care?

When do we start to care? Empty When do we start to care?

Post by Guest 2011-01-10, 01:22

OK lets make this simple.

- Mainly this topic is directed to SOME staff not all SOME. and dont get mad at me thinking im talking about you cause im probably not.

IM just wondering- when will people start to care for some times going on in the server. When people will ACTUALLY do something to fix it. When people will go out of there way to help someone with something simple or hard. When someone Actually know alot about the community and knows what should be changed but doesnt. When someone will actually stand up for what they believe in and try making something work out to make the community a BETTER place. When do we start to care? when? seems like the staff atm is to go with the flow. IDC if we stay that way but what will make the staff get more involved in the community to help others out so we dont CONSTINTLY get griefed and people quitting constintly .. YEs ik alot of grammer and spelling errors but do you get my point?

Any Negitive comment i will remove but its just my 1 question and opinion on how its going.

Here are some questions i would like some person to answer in the comments and can be ANYONE.
    What do you think will set the staff off to make them more strict about what goes on?
    How many people do you see actually try to make the community a better place? ( no NAMES please )
    How long do you think this go with the flow will last?
    How long do you think community will last if we dont do something now?
    How many people do you think will start abusing powers when the community is in a downfall?
    How many people do you think will rage quit in the future by eather FLAMING , TROLLING, or worse GRIEFING?

If you got a question too put below but this isnt ment for hate its for discussion. Let your voice be heard and answer my questions, share stories, and ask questions for everyone else to comment appon.

ALSO dont NAME anyone in this. No calling someone out. We dont want to know who you are talking about. i just want to know your opinion on the questions/

TY
    MiRROW
    MiRROW

When do we start to care? Empty Re: When do we start to care?

Post by MiRROW 2011-01-10, 02:13

I agree with you on this one Arbr,

Here's my opinion: if been inactive so i do not have a clear opinion about how the staff (+donators) acts towards the community, but in my experience the staff needs to be close and friendly towards the community, otherwise it will form a gap, which leads to griefing and other stuff. but, there will always be people who ruin it for others. but i do think a good relation from staff to guests/members will lower the overall griefing %
    filmjolk
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by filmjolk 2011-01-10, 03:31

most guests etc just wanna be left alone, they are loners by nature, they are just here to play ssp, never talk in chat, but have been on server for like 10 days.
    Xltimus
    Xltimus

Post by Xltimus 2011-01-10, 05:18

I havent been on last week, and partially of this week (mostly less hours), due to the fact my computer ate its own harddrive or something.

So I figured the laptop I was using couldnt play minecraft, well it turns out I was wrong... but not by much. Having to shrink the window to 25% or smaller just to play it, and it still locks up on me.

And so... I havent been around doing moderator stuff like patroling, and helping people :0
    Not to menction its hard to keep up with a conversation with like 30 people talking at once.
    MikeChild
    MikeChild

When do we start to care? Empty I have a few suggestions to help mods/admins

Post by MikeChild 2011-01-10, 05:20

Most of the mods/admins have a select few people they help daily and those people are of course going to favor that certain admin/mod. to improve relations with more of the community they should expand who they listen to and help out, or even just chatting with someone will drastically improve relations with the community. warping to the loners and just commenting on they're build will help develop a bond between that admin and that player turning them from being a loner into a more influenced member of the society orcworm and staff have put together. thats just my take on it, i know its vague but people should get my drift.
    MiRROW
    MiRROW

Post by MiRROW 2011-01-10, 05:59

MikeChild wrote:Most of the mods/admins have a select few people they help daily and those people are of course going to favor that certain admin/mod. to improve relations with more of the community they should expand who they listen to and help out, or even just chatting with someone will drastically improve relations with the community. warping to the loners and just commenting on they're build will help develop a bond between that admin and that player turning them from being a loner into a more influenced member of the society orcworm and staff have put together. thats just my take on it, i know its vague but people should get my drift.

True.
    Draf
    Draf

Post by Draf 2011-01-10, 07:11

People are going to grief and whine and complain about everything. I picture minecraft as a primary school yard. There most likely are quite a few children playing. Bare with me if you haven't grown up surrounded by snow half of the year.

When I was a kid we would build snow forts. They seemed huge. We used recycling bins to make blocks. We made ghetto looking ones by rolling snowballs in the schoolyard. There were always the kids that thrived on destroying out forts or stealing them.

I worked at a school a few months ago and I heard the same stuff coming from the teachers. Kids were crying because they built stuff and other kids knocked it to pieces.

Now that story time is over, I'll get to my point. It's human nature to destroy. There's only so much you can do to thwart this fact. If we put restrictions on who can build like most servers the game becomes a childish and boring activity.

Signs warn players to build away from the main cities. No matter how hard we try people are going to get their kicks out of busting other peoples stuff. The fact that you can't see people in real life only adds to it. They feel invincible because no one really knows who they are. The anonymity of a player is an extra incentive to create a ruckus.

You can let all the people get to you or you can take the more laid back approach. People will quit. It's their decision not ours. So calm down a little bit. If you want to stop the grieving you'll have to fly around and zone everything all the time. That doesn't sound like fun to me.

The admins and mods have mostly shown me that they're doing a good job.

This is a game about building stuff but also breaking stuff.

It's going to happen. Please don't put training wheels on it.
    Xltimus
    Xltimus

Post by Xltimus 2011-01-10, 14:00

Maybe when Towny gets ported we can do that, that way people can setup their own towns w/ zoning (according to the population)

Although with Towny its possible to actually wage war on another nation, although both parties have to consent to it. And Im not entirely sure, but I think the winner, if it hasnt been ended peacefully, can take over another town's property.

heck, lets throw in the Hunger plugin again Very Happy

*continues rambling on about things*
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

Post by PureCraft 2011-01-11, 01:14

I try to help as much as I can.. but sometimes.. its too much.
    Invision
    Invision
    Forum Developer
    Forum Developer

Post by Invision 2011-01-11, 02:24

I help everytime I see a question in the game chat asking for help, but sometimes I'm not experienced enough. I'm an Admin, yes I know, but I'm also the Forum Administrator.

It's hard to get into a conversation when auction messages, login/logout messages and everyone talking is in your way. Therefore, I often don't get the questions, and the players will have to suffer thanks to that.

I'm sorry Arbr if you tried to talk to me, but I just can't do anything about it. Sad Sad

And the bluescreen doesn't really help me either. Getting bluescreen almost every 5 minutes is hard to survive.
    Rang3ramhard
    Rang3ramhard

Post by Rang3ramhard 2011-01-11, 02:37

Even though im not part of the staff i try to help with every question i can answer for people.
    MiRROW
    MiRROW

Post by MiRROW 2011-01-11, 03:50

I always try to help whenever i can, it's a fun thing to do but if your help isn't appreciated it's not so fun anymore.
    A stable and friendy community is essential for a server to last long.

@Invision, if you have an NVIDIA videocard try updating your drivers, NVIDIA released a badupdate not long ago, which gave a lot of people (including me) blue screens. hope this helps
    Pete
    Pete

Post by Pete 2011-01-11, 04:11

I'm a guest and barely even play, but I try to help when I do... I'm also on IRC most of the time, telling people "calm down, Orc is aware of the server crashing, and he's trying to fix it" =D
    Invision
    Invision
    Forum Developer
    Forum Developer

Post by Invision 2011-01-11, 04:30

MiRROW wrote:@Invision, if you have an NVIDIA videocard try updating your drivers, NVIDIA released a badupdate not long ago, which gave a lot of people (including me) blue screens. hope this helps

I've tried like 2 weeks ago, but I can do again Smile Thanks for your help Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-20, 03:24