Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Orcworm's SMP Server

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to Orcworm's Minecraft SMP Server, located at: orcworm.co.uk

+4
Invision
Orcworm
Havoc928
Rendarg
8 posters

Admin Vandalism?

Rendarg
    Rendarg
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Admin Vandalism? Empty Admin Vandalism?

Post by Rendarg 2011-01-12, 10:34

Hi there,
    im only here since around new year but i managed to make a nice little castle-like tower on the cliffs of the mountain at the east exit.
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

now i was away for the weekend and something strange happened. im already used to ladders disappearing or holes in my tower done by some stupid griefers but this is now is really strange.
    Apart from the usual grief like some of my walls destroyed and the upper part of my tower destroyed, there is are now STONE Blocks, not Cobblestone but regular nature Stone Blocks, where i build my Tower and home.
    The Tower was only surrounding my actual home, a network of chambers and tunnels i build into the mountain. Inside there were all my chests, workbenches and smelter, and of course my mine.
    Now it looks as if there has never been anything at all, the whole inside of the mountain is filled with Stone Blocks again. Even Parts of my Tower Walls turned into stone. It looks as if someone just used an Editor and filled the mountain area with stone again or turned blocks of my tower into stone.

I dont know how a normal player could do so much damage but i also dont really believe that an admin would destroy my stuff just for fun, so i think maybe something went wrong with the backup of the worldmap? did you guys load an older backup sometime around the last weekend or something like that?
    but then the tower would also be gone, i really dont understand what happened.

Even some of the ground around my place turned into stone, this used to be dirt and gras with some Trees

You can see how parts of the wall turned into stone

The interior of my tower. This is where the entrance to my home and my mine used to be, its now all filled with stone again. you can see its a straight line where the cobble stone ends and stone begins, almost as if someone just "changed" the tower parts into stone. i dont get it.

I have no problem with repairing simple holes in my walls or rebuilding doors/ladders, stolen by some griefers. But my whole work just "disappearing"? I dont get it. How can this happen?
    Havoc928
    Havoc928
    In-Game Mod
    In-Game Mod

Admin Vandalism? Empty Re: Admin Vandalism?

Post by Havoc928 2011-01-12, 10:41

Regular players can make stone you know Smile

and i have never heard of something like this happening do to a messed up map before.
    Rendarg
    Rendarg
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Rendarg 2011-01-12, 10:45

but who would make hundreds of stones and take a day or so just to fill my whole home and mine with stones again? and replace parts of my tower with it? this just looks too strange to be a simple joke, i suspect some kind of error.
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-01-12, 10:51

That mountain looks suspiciously similar to the one that SnowBalls was building a city near...
    Invision
    Invision
    Forum Developer
    Forum Developer

Post by Invision 2011-01-12, 10:58

It doesn't look like cuboid because the walls aren't straight/clean, but it could be. But it could also be people who bought stones either in shop, auction or made themselfs, so I'm sorry but I can't help, unless you show me the places, and I can cuboid fill them with cobblestone again.
    Rendarg
    Rendarg
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Rendarg 2011-01-12, 11:00

Even the small pier i made, when i build a tunnel inside the mountain down to the sea level, has become solid stone, together with parts of the Sea! Shocked Shocked Shocked
    This looks just as if someone made a frame around the place and hit some button "turn block into stone". I dont know of something like that is even possible, but i really would like to know what happened. If someone has any idea, please tell me. Crying or Very sad

picture: below the pier, water turned into stone. im standing on where the water should be
    Invision
    Invision
    Forum Developer
    Forum Developer

Post by Invision 2011-01-12, 11:05

Rendarg wrote:Even the small pier i made, when i build a tunnel inside the mountain down to the sea level, has become solid stone, together with parts of the Sea! Shocked Shocked Shocked
    This looks just as if someone made a frame around the place and hit some button "turn block into stone". I dont know of something like that is even possible, but i really would like to know what happened. If someone has any idea, please tell me. Crying or Very sad

picture: below the pier, water turned into stone. im standing on where the water should be

This picture seems more like a moderator +.

Moderators + has a woodenspade that can set points on blocks, and turn them into other blocks, or remove. /cfill. This looks like someone set point on the cobblestone, and used /cfill 1 (stone).

Next time I log in, I will try my best to make it cobblestone again, if you want that.
    I'm sorry for what happened.
    Rendarg
    Rendarg
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Rendarg 2011-01-12, 11:18

I think that would take too much time, you dont need to do that. maybe if you could make the water around the pier into water again, that would be enough.
    How long does a diamod pickaxe last? maybe if i could have one, then i could rebuild my place in 1-2 days. Or if that doesnt work, how do i buy stuff to make one?
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-01-12, 11:19

Mate, with Mod / Admin powers repairing isn't a problem, 5-10 minutes at most, haha.
    Invision
    Invision
    Forum Developer
    Forum Developer

Post by Invision 2011-01-12, 11:23

Rendarg wrote:I think that would take too much time, you dont need to do that. maybe if you could make the water around the pier into water again, that would be enough.
    How long does a diamod pickaxe last? maybe if i could have one, then i could rebuild my place in 1-2 days. Or if that doesnt work, how do i buy stuff to make one?

For me with my awesome Wooden Shovel, it will take around 5-15 minutes, depends on how much and where it is. And the water is no problem either.
    But it's a bit late for me now, and I don't want BSOD (Bluescreen) hehe. Well, it's almost 1:30 AM, so.
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-01-12, 11:24

Invision wrote:
    Rendarg wrote:I think that would take too much time, you dont need to do that. maybe if you could make the water around the pier into water again, that would be enough.

For me with my awesome Wooden Shovel, it will take around 5-15 minutes, depends on how much and where it is. And the water is no problem either.
    But it's a bit late for me now, and I don't want BSOD (Bluescreen) hehe. Well, it's almost 1:30 AM, so.

//drain, the most useful command I've ever seen Very Happy.
    Invision
    Invision
    Forum Developer
    Forum Developer

Post by Invision 2011-01-12, 11:25

Orcworm wrote:
    Invision wrote:

//drain, the most useful command I've ever seen Very Happy.

o.O!! Smile
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-01-12, 11:26

...Unless you //drain 600 like Arbr did, that was fun to fix. Razz
    Invision
    Invision
    Forum Developer
    Forum Developer

Post by Invision 2011-01-12, 11:27

Orcworm wrote:...Unless you //drain 600 like Arbr did, that was fun to fix. Razz

Haha, what does it do?
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-01-12, 11:28

Oh, and this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Looks sort of like //smooth work, I can't remember if I was messing about with that mountain or not to try to make it look better, meh.

Invision wrote:
    Orcworm wrote:...Unless you //drain 600 like Arbr did, that was fun to fix. Razz

Haha, what does it do?

Let's just say 10-15 is the ABSOLUTE MAX you should be using.
    Skynet
    Skynet

Post by Skynet 2011-01-12, 12:04

i remember reading in the chat someone had built a town and requested all the cobblestone in their town be converted into clean stone for easthetic purposes. I think this might have something to do with that request and I think it was wholly unintentional.
    Invision
    Invision
    Forum Developer
    Forum Developer

Post by Invision 2011-01-12, 12:05

Orcworm wrote:Oh, and this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Looks sort of like //smooth work, I can't remember if I was messing about with that mountain or not to try to make it look better, meh.

Invision wrote:

Haha, what does it do?

Let's just say 10-15 is the ABSOLUTE MAX you should be using.

Heheh! Smile
    filmjolk
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by filmjolk 2011-01-12, 17:15

omg, what are you guys doig to the biome..., maybe we shoudnt have made the biome afterall :/ anyway, the biome is probably the no.1 grief area :/ and a smooth could have similar effects. check if your neighbours have had similar problems.
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-01-12, 18:33

filmjolk wrote:omg, what are you guys doig to the biome..., maybe we shoudnt have made the biome afterall :/ anyway, the biome is probably the no.1 grief area :/ and a smooth could have similar effects. check if your neighbours have had similar problems.

Lol, the biome is there to build on after all... What would be the point in it if it was just there to look nice?
    Invision
    Invision
    Forum Developer
    Forum Developer

Post by Invision 2011-01-13, 01:18

Orcworm wrote:
    filmjolk wrote:omg, what are you guys doig to the biome..., maybe we shoudnt have made the biome afterall :/ anyway, the biome is probably the no.1 grief area :/ and a smooth could have similar effects. check if your neighbours have had similar problems.

Lol, the biome is there to build on after all... What would be the point in it if it was just there to look nice?

+1
    SnowBalls
    SnowBalls
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by SnowBalls 2011-01-15, 08:53

Orcworm wrote:That mountain looks suspiciously similar to the one that SnowBalls was building a city near...

It IS the mountain that i am building the city on.

However.. one problem.

I've been revising my arse off for these two A level exams and i haven't touched the Biome mountain yet - which was generated by Filmjolk. (:

Rendard if your willing to move off the mountain - I can copy your build and paste it elsewhere. I am willing to pay you if you move. Or i could just totally buy your build off you and you can build elsewhere.. Or i'll provide tools for you to take down your little build - pay you and you can build something else, elsewhere.

Then again - We're running Vanilla at the minute, so when we get back onto the main map i would of probably of done my other A level exam and we can sort it out then. (:
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-01-15, 08:57

You could also /ccopy and /cpaste his build if you want to try that.

Also, lol revision.
    ZzirChrizZ

Admin Vandalism? Empty YO

Post by ZzirChrizZ 2011-01-15, 11:11

that mountain is straight outside the east exit btw, so ya, i think it got griefed or a admin cuboided it and then added stone to make look like it wasnt cuboided ;P
    filmjolk
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by filmjolk 2011-01-17, 00:36

I stumbled into this place a few days ago actually, right before the server was switched tot emp, I checked out the place and it is 95% chance a /replacenear which is a admin power stemming from World edit. Why i come to this conclusion is, that i doubt ppl know all the ID's for items such as torches=50 sand=12 gravel=13 dirt=3 grass=2 cobble=4 gold=14 iron=15 furnace=61 and so on. so a /creplace would have been out of the question unless the person didnt add almost every single block id into the formula and end it with 1. Back to the /replacenear, it's also (this "also" is just here cause it looks good) closely related to the creplace and would have made a cube like shaped area. But when i looked at the stone areas, they were not all straight and I couldnt manage to find any lines that matched up into a perfect cube. I magine a person standing in the centre of the biome, then the person executes the /replacenear (10-20 seeing as its radius) then things would turn to stone in a cube around the person excluding air. This would however make the x and z coordinates get ratgeted just as much as the y, but imo it's almost only y coordinates that have been targeted.

Conclusion:
    The Creplace is annoying to work with unless you know alot of ID numbers and you are teh pro at making and marking cuboid areas. Replacenear on the other hand could have pulled this stunt off in a few seconds, but it would have cause a much larger area to be turned into solid stone.
    Both creplace and replacenear can be undone fairly simple if the person using them wants to undo it, the main difference betweeen the two beeing that creplace can only be undone as long as you do not target another area before undoing the previous command, whilst replacenear can stack several commands in a "tray" and you can //undo them one after another.

Credits:
    I would like to thank orcworm-smp (how silly of me, it's "Orcworm" with a capital O)for assisting me with research materiall and simply being there as one of the top minecraft servers. I would also like to thank the Biome, for which this project would not have been possible.
    This casestudy has given me insight into how little we can actually trust people and how to bake pizza.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-14, 12:03