Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Orcworm's SMP Server

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to Orcworm's Minecraft SMP Server, located at: orcworm.co.uk

+4
Pete
Ciphon
sieve
Baldymoint7
8 posters

An Actual Novel

Poll

What kind should it be like?

[ 1 ]
    An Actual Novel Bar_left8%An Actual Novel Bar_right [8%] 
    [ 3 ]
    An Actual Novel Bar_left25%An Actual Novel Bar_right [25%] 
    [ 8 ]
    An Actual Novel Bar_left67%An Actual Novel Bar_right [67%] 

Total Votes: 12
    Baldymoint7
    Baldymoint7

An Actual Novel Empty An Actual Novel

Post by Baldymoint7 2011-08-22, 12:01

TO forum staff I know you will probably move this to (stories) but I'm planing on not posting it on the forums for it would be too long.

I've started to think of writing my own novel an actual published novel.
    "STFU I CAN DREAM IF I WANT!!" So I was wondering, what do you guys
    think I should write about? Also I'll take any help if anyones interested in helping Smile.

-Baldymoint7
    sieve
    sieve

An Actual Novel Empty Re: An Actual Novel

Post by sieve 2011-08-22, 12:58

In the words of some author whose name eludes me, the best way to learn how to write is to write. As far as the genre goes, it doesn't really matter, just don't get frustrated if the story you create is bad, just stick with it.
    Ciphon
    Ciphon

Post by Ciphon 2011-08-22, 13:31

make something like ender's game, which mostly fits the last option on the poll, soo ill vote for that

give it a good plot, enemy, deception, betrayal, all that good stuff, and i think it could be good Very Happy
    Baldymoint7
    Baldymoint7

Post by Baldymoint7 2011-08-23, 01:48

Good, Good. Still waiting for more people on the poll.
    Pete
    Pete

Post by Pete 2011-08-23, 09:09

You obviously can't write something like Ender's game, and people shouldn't be suggesting it... Some months ago I wrote a pretty smooth fantasy novel, I thought it was awesome until someone told me the story was just like Assassin's Creed, game I had never played... FML. >.>
    The_Music_Man
    The_Music_Man

Post by The_Music_Man 2011-08-23, 09:13

Hell, when I was in 4th grade I wrote some shit about an octopus, just promise me you'll be better than THAT and I give this a '+1', I'm all for people trying it, it's hard, but rewarding.
    Best of luck Razz
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Location : A secret location off the south side of the Erskine bridge

Post by darkxephos 2011-08-24, 04:14

If it's futuristic war then base it around warhammer 40k, or something like that. Anyway, if it does get published the i will buy it.
    FillerB
    FillerB
    So long and thanks for all the fish!

Post by FillerB 2011-08-24, 04:50

As I had some wannabe writer-friends in high school who too dreamed the dream... Forget about (professional) publishing for the next 10 years. It isn't going to happen. You're still way too young, green and rough around the edges.

Don't delude yourself that you're the next Adams, Tolkien, Asimov or Orson Scott Card. Those are all folks who worked _very_ hard to get where they are today. And if you want to seriously step into their boots: start writing.

It doesn't matter what you write. Think of something that you would enjoy reading and write it. It doesn't have to be about anything in particular. Just write. Maybe some alternate universe-version of Harry Potter. Maybe a sappy story of two Minecrafters in love but forever divided by the continents. Hell maybe even a slashfic of hot Skitty on Wailord-action. It doesn't matter what as long as you enjoy doing it. The point of the exercise is to get some experience writing and plotting out a solid story. Your first work is going to be _bad_. That is as far as I have experienced a constant of the universe. And that's alright. You get better by doing it and learning from your mistakes. Let other people read it no matter how crappy/excellent you think it is. Listen to what they say and suggest. Incorporate their criticisms (and if they don't give it: ask for it!) in your next work. It is how you improve yourself.

Besides writing a ton, read even more yourself. Don't just stick to the genres or themes you personally like to read. Don't just stick to the big names. Walk in a bookstore or library, grab a random book and read it. Expand your horizons. Learn new things.

And then... when you haven't given up and finally written a short story that you think is absolutely smashing: submit it to a magazine. And do it again. And again.

At least that is how I would go about things based on what I heard and read. In any case, I wish you good luck on your endeavors and maybe, just maybe, I'll be reading your first novel in a couple of years time on my Kindle 15. I'm looking forward to it.
    onlinerocker
    onlinerocker

Post by onlinerocker 2011-08-24, 06:55

FillerB wrote: Hell maybe even a slashfic of hot Skitty on Wailord-action.
    This, this is genius.
    Baldymoint7
    Baldymoint7

Post by Baldymoint7 2011-08-24, 08:12

You guys all helped Smile thanks and Filler you've actually just made an impression on my life O-O that, well that has changed it. Thank you, all of you Smile.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-20, 07:31