Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Orcworm's SMP Server

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to Orcworm's Minecraft SMP Server, located at: orcworm.co.uk

+13
Ciphon
Atheyn
Devan12321
skoglol
PureCraft
FillerB
Invision
Jarvisd
Rulyon
mattyeatsmatts
Orcworm
patrickfreed
gamemaster1494
17 posters

New Chest Shops. How do i make one? [UPDATED]

Poll

This is my first guide! How did i do on a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being the best?

[ 2 ]
    New Chest Shops. How do i make one? [UPDATED] Bar_left7%New Chest Shops. How do i make one? [UPDATED] Bar_right [7%] 
    [ 1 ]
    New Chest Shops. How do i make one? [UPDATED] Bar_left3%New Chest Shops. How do i make one? [UPDATED] Bar_right [3%] 
    [ 0 ]
    New Chest Shops. How do i make one? [UPDATED] Bar_left0%New Chest Shops. How do i make one? [UPDATED] Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    New Chest Shops. How do i make one? [UPDATED] Bar_left0%New Chest Shops. How do i make one? [UPDATED] Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 1 ]
    New Chest Shops. How do i make one? [UPDATED] Bar_left3%New Chest Shops. How do i make one? [UPDATED] Bar_right [3%] 
    [ 2 ]
    New Chest Shops. How do i make one? [UPDATED] Bar_left7%New Chest Shops. How do i make one? [UPDATED] Bar_right [7%] 
    [ 1 ]
    [ 6 ]
    New Chest Shops. How do i make one? [UPDATED] Bar_left20%New Chest Shops. How do i make one? [UPDATED] Bar_right [20%] 
    [ 5 ]
    New Chest Shops. How do i make one? [UPDATED] Bar_left17%New Chest Shops. How do i make one? [UPDATED] Bar_right [17%] 
    [ 12 ]
    New Chest Shops. How do i make one? [UPDATED] Bar_left40%New Chest Shops. How do i make one? [UPDATED] Bar_right [40%] 

Total Votes: 30
    gamemaster1494
    gamemaster1494
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

New Chest Shops. How do i make one? [UPDATED] Empty New Chest Shops. How do i make one? [UPDATED]

Post by gamemaster1494 2011-03-16, 10:35

I have gotten lots of questions on how to set up a chest shop. But what is a chest shop? A chest shop is a plug in, most like a sign shop before beta update, that allows a player to sell items from a chest, without having to be there. All the player has to do is set up the chest shops, and stock them. Its very easy once you understand how to do it.

First, you will need the item(s) you want to sell, a chest(half chest only. does not work with large chests(explained later), and a sign. First, dig a hole in the ground where your chest will be. You want easy access to it, so you can restock later. In that chest, put the item(s) that you wish to sell in that chest. Make sure they are the same item(s)! After that, you need to put the sign above said chest. 1 block space between the chest is required(easier to read and after you set it up, you can put a torch in between the sign and chest to easily read it). On the second line(hit enter once), put the number of the item you are selling in that chest, that they will get each time they buy/sell. On the third line, put how much it will cost per time they buy. For example, if I wanted to sell 10 cobble stone for 14gil(outrageous, right?), and have people sell it to me for 1gil, I would put:

gamemaster1494
    B 14:1 S
    COBBLESTONE

After it is set up, click done. Thats it! you set up your shop! Now all you have to do is fill the chest up, and sell sell sell!!!

ITEMS THAT GLITCH

All items that have the SAME ID, such as wool(different colored), Dye(such as Lapis or Bone Meal) give out the base item. If you put lapis in a chest, it may say lapis, but it probably will come out as bone meal(waste of an item!!!). It glitches with:
    • Wood
    • Wool(Comes out as White Wool)
    • Dyes(Some will work. Bone Meal says Inc Sack, but gives out bone meal)
    • Coal/Charcoal(Comes out coal)
    • Slabs(Sandstone, cobble, stone, and wooden planks/slabs)

SETTING UP SHOPS WITH LARGE CHESTS

I have done this from the start. However, a major problem is the sign only allows the player to buy from the top half of the large chest. This would be good for storage, but it makes the place look a little nicer with small chests. It also allows more chests to be placed if you are setting up a store in a rectangular area.

OTHER INFORMATION
    As far as I know, you can have up to 100 chest shops active.

Due to the new update that allows players to sell to a sign, there is now 2 different mode commands. /buy and /sell. The default that you are on is /buy. Type the commands to switch between the 2.

FAQ

Q: My first 3 lines show up on my sign when I put in on the chest, but the 4th line(item name) doesn't show. Why is that?

A: Due to the newest update, you have to manually put the item name.

Q:Will items such as bonemeal be turned into ink sacks when they are bought?

A:No. What the item is in the chest, will be purchased, even if the sign says differently.

Q:Do I have to let players sell their items to me?

A:No. Instead of having a number for the money they get, just make it a zero.

Q:Do I have to let players buy from me? Can players just sell to me?

A:They can just sell to you. Have the buying price be zero.

Q:How can I test a sign?

A:Right click the sign. If it says you cannot buy from your own shop! then it is setup correctly. If not, you did something wrong.

If you have any further questions/comments, post here.

Last edited by gamemaster1494 on 2011-03-28, 13:40; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated)
    patrickfreed
    patrickfreed
    Forum Staff
    Forum Staff

New Chest Shops. How do i make one? [UPDATED] Empty Re: New Chest Shops. How do i make one? [UPDATED]

Post by patrickfreed 2011-03-16, 10:50

Good guide, but I like the ones with colors, bold stuff, fonts, and other sizes. Also, this is much needed as so many people don't know how to set one up High Five!
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

New Chest Shops. How do i make one? [UPDATED] Empty Re: New Chest Shops. How do i make one? [UPDATED]

Post by Orcworm 2011-03-16, 10:59

Indeed, some extra formatting wouldn't go amiss but apart from that it's well written and informative.
    mattyeatsmatts
    mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts 2011-03-16, 11:49

center and bold some titles and its great
    gamemaster1494
    gamemaster1494
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by gamemaster1494 2011-03-16, 12:40

How is that? Better? =D
    Rulyon
    Rulyon
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Rulyon 2011-03-16, 12:49

Wheat is problematic as well. Nero helped me by testing it and it told him "Invalid Format", although my name and the product name were properly reflected in the sign.
    patrickfreed
    patrickfreed
    Forum Staff
    Forum Staff

Post by patrickfreed 2011-03-16, 12:50

Very good, I change my vote from 7 to 9 Very Happy
    Jarvisd
    Jarvisd
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Jarvisd 2011-03-16, 13:04

Pictures make everything easier or you can even make a video! Oh wait someone already did and it is linked on the plugins thread on bukkits forums.

Looks like you spent some time, nice job gamem. Did you get tired of people asking how to make them? Very Happy
    gamemaster1494
    gamemaster1494
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by gamemaster1494 2011-03-16, 13:14

Rulyon wrote:Wheat is problematic as well. Nero helped me by testing it and it told him "Invalid Format", although my name and the product name were properly reflected in the sign.

That is probably due to Wheat needing to be capitalized... Did u allow it to make the rest of the sign for you?

Jarvisd wrote:Pictures make everything easier or you can even make a video! Oh wait someone already did and it is linked on the plugins thread on bukkits forums.

Looks like you spent some time, nice job gamem. Did you get tired of people asking how to make them? Very Happy

tbh... i basically did this in like 5 minutes.... And i DID get tired of people asking lol.
    Rulyon
    Rulyon
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Rulyon 2011-03-16, 14:11

Yes, I allowed it to finish the sign. All I did was quantity and price.
    Invision
    Invision
    Forum Developer
    Forum Developer

Post by Invision 2011-03-16, 18:09

patrickfreed wrote:Good guide, but I like the ones with colors, bold stuff, fonts, and other sizes. Also, this is much needed as so many people don't know how to set one up High Five!

I've never been a fan of all that you said there, but yes. A little better formating, so it would be easier (not heavy) to read, but the grammar and details are perfecT!
    mattyeatsmatts
    mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts 2011-03-16, 21:04

When I try to make a Cobble chest it doesn't auto fill the 4th line with Cobble

Edit: Nevermind I was placing it in the wrong place
    FillerB
    FillerB
    So long and thanks for all the fish!

Post by FillerB 2011-03-16, 21:26

Got a 7 from me. While informative it has some (mostly minor) flaws.

1. The most important information is explained in the first paragraph. Shouldn't you first explain what Chest Shops are?
    2. The caution-message isn't really necessary since you explain that in the next paragraph.
    3. In the second part of the guide you fall in a "I think"/"I do"-style. DO NOT DO THIS. It's really annoying to read.

But yeah, kudos for not using a giggleton of colors or fonts. Improve the second half and add a good introduction and you'll most likely see that 7 swing to a 8-9.
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

Post by PureCraft 2011-03-17, 01:27

The guide god spoke.
    gamemaster1494
    gamemaster1494
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by gamemaster1494 2011-03-18, 07:44

Is that better fillerb? (btw to everyone thanks for the comments! =D)
    skoglol
    skoglol

Post by skoglol 2011-03-18, 08:03

gamemaster1494 wrote:1 block space between the chest is recommended(easier to read and after you set it up, you can put a torch in between the sign and chest to easily read it).

Actually it seems like this is required for the sign to connect to the chest. I helped a guy that had trouble with his chest shop, who had placed the sign directly over the chest. In that instance, only the 3 upper lines appeared, without the item name on the 4th line.
    Underline and bold it to make it more apparant, or make a short Q&A section at the end describing common problems Cool
    gamemaster1494
    gamemaster1494
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by gamemaster1494 2011-03-19, 14:49

Okay. I will change that part.
    Devan12321
    Devan12321
    Asshat

Post by Devan12321 2011-03-19, 15:36

well wtf. why cant we just get the old sign system back? is it still not updated?
    gamemaster1494
    gamemaster1494
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by gamemaster1494 2011-03-19, 15:48

Nope. Its not. I highly doubt it will be updated. =/
    Atheyn
    Atheyn

Post by Atheyn 2011-03-20, 05:37

Thanks
    skoglol
    skoglol

Post by skoglol 2011-03-27, 01:50

Seems the new sell feature can see some abuse on selling dyes, since they all use the same id/name. I had set up a lapis sign with a buy price, someone sold me a bunch of very expensive ink sacks and bone meal -.- To be more exact, I'm down about 5k gil
    Ciphon
    Ciphon

Post by Ciphon 2011-03-27, 15:01

My review: 9/10 reason: nearly perfect, only thing I'd add is a screenshot of a chest shop to give people who are new a visual referance to look off of
    patrickfreed
    patrickfreed
    Forum Staff
    Forum Staff

Post by patrickfreed 2011-03-27, 15:08

Gamem when the fawk are you gonna get a sig and/or an avatar? Razz
    Baldymoint7
    Baldymoint7

Post by Baldymoint7 2011-04-03, 04:21

Yea it seems like he has no personality.
    Gornemant
    Gornemant
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Gornemant 2011-04-13, 20:58

Just got a little question, the item ID doesn't seem to work, where can I get a complete list of aliases (or command to find the right alias)? The text shown in the inventory doesn't work either.
    Thanks!
    skoglol
    skoglol

Post by skoglol 2011-04-13, 21:04

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    All the item names compatible with shops Wink
    Gornemant
    Gornemant
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Gornemant 2011-04-13, 21:50

Cool thanks Smile
    So if I want to sell cocoa beans, I have to write INK_SACK at the bottom, right?
    patrickfreed
    patrickfreed
    Forum Staff
    Forum Staff

Post by patrickfreed 2011-04-13, 22:15

Orc needs to install odditem so all the aliases work
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-04-13, 22:20

Link?
    patrickfreed
    patrickfreed
    Forum Staff
    Forum Staff

Post by patrickfreed 2011-04-13, 22:30

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    skoglol
    skoglol

Post by skoglol 2011-04-13, 23:00

Gornemant wrote:Cool thanks Smile
    So if I want to sell cocoa beans, I have to write INK_SACK at the bottom, right?

Yes, but be careful! If you have a buying price, they can sell bone meal etc at the same sign Laughing
    Gornemant
    Gornemant
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Gornemant 2011-04-15, 20:51

I just had a thought, has anybody tried to make 2 shops next to each other with a double chest? or is this just not possible?

(yeah I know, sorry for double post, I'd delete the previous one but I can't find the delete button. xP )
    patrickfreed
    patrickfreed
    Forum Staff
    Forum Staff

Post by patrickfreed 2011-04-15, 21:41

You can use a double chest for one shop, but not for 2
    Gornemant
    Gornemant
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Gornemant 2011-04-15, 21:48

aww poop, I guess I'll need to modify and make a lower level x3
    crackfawxx
    crackfawxx

Post by crackfawxx 2011-04-23, 02:30

This is muchly useful <3
    timeer2
    timeer2
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by timeer2 2011-04-23, 12:33

Gornemant wrote:

(yeah I know, sorry for double post, I'd delete the previous one but I can't find the delete button. xP )

Is it not possible to find the edit button as well?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-04-29, 02:55