Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Orcworm's SMP Server

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to Orcworm's Minecraft SMP Server, located at: orcworm.co.uk

+8
GaMerG77
pope2142
Orcworm
darkxephos
Onlyme
BraegisRaugn
Yarwood
NeroTheDarklord
12 posters

Initiator Rune: Magic only for trustworthy players!

NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Initiator Rune:  Magic only for trustworthy players! Empty Initiator Rune: Magic only for trustworthy players!

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-04-10, 23:59

Many players are complaining that the power pick rune is disabled because it can be used to grief into zones.
    Ive been looking up something in the runecraft wiki and found out a LOT of new runes have been added...
    one of these is the Initiator Rune.
    Let me sum it up quickly:
    The Initiator Rune is a rune mostly made of bedrock, so you need an admin to grand you these. not nessessary to ask admins or mods!
    If the server is set to use Initiator Runes, you must cast this rune before you can use any runes at all.
    So when the server would use the Initiator Rune, only people who are trustworthy enough to use magic have acces to runecraft and griefers and newbies keep restricted from the power of magic.

This would make everyone happy! Players AND admins!

I furthermore would suggest that this rune should be placed in my city, since wer focusing on magic and are online regulary. We could offer training in runecraft and could judge if people only learn runecraft to grief or do something actualy useful. If that is done i would say right away that we will not train runecraft to anyone who isnt at least a member, so no runecraft for guests.

Last edited by NeroTheDarklord on 2011-04-11, 00:47; edited 2 times in total
    Yarwood
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Initiator Rune:  Magic only for trustworthy players! Empty Re: Initiator Rune: Magic only for trustworthy players!

Post by Yarwood 2011-04-11, 00:03

I'm not sure this would be possible, as I don't think you can disable it per Permissions group.
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Initiator Rune:  Magic only for trustworthy players! Empty Re: Initiator Rune: Magic only for trustworthy players!

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-04-11, 00:06

Yarwood wrote:I'm not sure this would be possible, as I don't think you can disable it per Permissions group.

You absolutely can! This is part of the runecraft update!
    Just check it out yourself.
    BraegisRaugn

Post by BraegisRaugn 2011-04-11, 00:39

I dunno... This just sorta seems like a pain in the butt. Now we have to go bug mods, who aren't always on in the first place, and who already have us bugging them for membership most days. I'm content to lose the power pick if it means being able to function mostly autonomously.
    Onlyme
    Onlyme

Post by Onlyme 2011-04-11, 00:41

Honestly, I think the rune isn't needed. If people grief, it's a quick rollback and a ban.
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Location : A secret location off the south side of the Erskine bridge

Post by darkxephos 2011-04-11, 00:43

I think its a good idea and I'm pretty sure that alot of people would be glad to have this as the rules.
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-04-11, 00:44

onlyme wrote:Honestly, I think the rune isn't needed. If people grief, it's a quick rollback and a ban.

If people grief with runecraft, there is no rollback as no block logging plugin will detect it ;p.
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-04-11, 00:45

I just read the rune in more detail and found out i misunderstood something.
    You must not build this rune yourself! Once its built, it has infinite uses!
    So i would suggest that this rune should be placed in my city, since it is the city of magic and very far away form orcshire.
    pope2142
    pope2142

Post by pope2142 2011-04-11, 01:01

why do i somehow find this a load of BS, no-offense personally
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-04-11, 01:12

pope2142 wrote:why do i somehow find this a load of BS, no-offense personally
    explanation plz?
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-04-11, 04:57

Bump reply guys
    GaMerG77
    GaMerG77
    Donator
    Donator

Post by GaMerG77 2011-04-11, 05:12

Lizard gonna get mad but...
    Don't doublepost >_>
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-04-11, 05:40

Sorry about that.
    Well i personaly HIGHLY support the idea of having the initiator rune in orcworms.
    And if you guys agree with my other suggestion that all mayor cities should get a unique advantage, the forest city would love to take care of the initiator rune.
    Vespasian
    Vespasian

Post by Vespasian 2011-04-11, 06:12

NeroTheDarklord wrote:Sorry about that.
    Well i personaly HIGHLY support the idea of having the initiator rune in orcworms.
    And if you guys agree with my other suggestion that all mayor cities should get a unique advantage, the forest city would love to take care of the initiator rune.

No offense, but a city councillor asking for a very valuable rune to only be placed in major cities (your own city, you said the first time) doesn't exactly strike me as impartial.

I've been on the server longer than some of the mods and admins have, and I've never griefed anything, or broken any rule. I would say that 's probabably "trustworthy", but I would have to go all the way to some guy's city for a power pick rune, which is dumb.

Now if everyone could have it, that would be one thing. But not just in cities, thats for sure.
    Rulyon
    Rulyon
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Rulyon 2011-04-11, 06:43

I happen to agree with Vespassian. The initiator rune is, in and of itself, a great idea. But the request that it only be placed in your city seems (to those that don't know you better) like a blatant attempt at a power-grab.
    GaMerG77
    GaMerG77
    Donator
    Donator

Post by GaMerG77 2011-04-11, 06:48

Rulyon, You're typo on Vesp's name got me kicked by Gamemaster1494.
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-04-11, 06:54

Im sorry for my greedy request.
    I would really want the initiator rune to exist in the server but if its not in our forest city, that is totaly ok. We were not actualy counting on getting it. If you read my other topic, i was trying to make the mayor cities more important and nessessary to visit. Everyone could have access to all the special abilities the cities provide. My idea was solely that you would have to travel to them and maybe do some kind of test to achive this power. We just happened to ask if we could get the advantage of beeing the capital of runecraft.

And vespasian... people who already proved themself trustable, like you, should of course have the advantage of not needing to go though all the traveling and tests.
    Rulyon
    Rulyon
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Rulyon 2011-04-11, 07:00

How did my typo make Gamaster kick you? That makes no sense to me...

Nero, I don't think you're greedy. I think you have an excellent idea for giving players a reason to visit each city at least once.
    Giygas
    Giygas

Post by Giygas 2011-04-11, 07:01

Rulyon
    Rulyon
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Rulyon 2011-04-11, 07:15

I've been there, Buddy. Forum Staff. I have to read every post to attend to my Moderator duties. :-)
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-04-11, 07:37

Rulyon wrote:I've been there, Buddy. Forum Staff. I have to read every post to attend to my Moderator duties. :-)

Your taking your job serious. I like that.
    Vespasian
    Vespasian

Post by Vespasian 2011-04-11, 07:40

Putting these runes in spawn would be a good way of letting everyone access them while not making them too easy to get. I definitely agree that power picks should come back in some kind of capacity, because without them digging underground complexes of any side is prohibitively time consuming. I know I haven't mined once since powerpicks were removed, and won't again because i'd rather just pay someone else to do it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but teleporters aren't going to be used in the final cities, right? Just the railway? Because depending on city and home location, that could be a LONG railway drive to get something.

NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-04-11, 07:52

Vespasian wrote:Putting these runes in spawn would be a good way of letting everyone access them while not making them too easy to get. I definitely agree that power picks should come back in some kind of capacity, because without them digging underground complexes of any side is prohibitively time consuming. I know I haven't mined once since powerpicks were removed, and won't again because i'd rather just pay someone else to do it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but teleporters aren't going to be used in the final cities, right? Just the railway? Because depending on city and home location, that could be a LONG railway drive to get something.

I disagree that the initiator rune should be in spawn city. It is too easy to access. Guests and shady people should not find the rune so easily. And by the way, isnt spawn city important enough already? I mean cmon it has the server spawn, admin shops, is the center of the map, has the main train station and the orc statue! The other main cities on the otherhand have nothing right now. Currently, they are nothing more than an admin decided collection of houses with no further meaning. Any normal player could have comen up with this. Im trying to decentralyze the power from only orcshire to all over the world! It should be an adventurous quest to get full access to all the awesomeness of this server!

And about transportation... i personaly would prefer using as many ways of transport as possible. Keep in mind: if we are gonna have the initiator rune, you cant use teleporters until you gained access to runecraft.
    Vespasian
    Vespasian

Post by Vespasian 2011-04-13, 04:51

Just make the rune cost 1000 gil or something like that. That will prevent new players from having access to it.
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-04-13, 06:11

Vespasian wrote:Just make the rune cost 1000 gil or something like that. That will prevent new players from having access to it.

Well i think some kind of test is nessessary so it is VERY clear how to use runecraft and how NOT to use it!
    We of course could demand some Gil to even attempt to do the test. 1000 Gil per try? Sounds heavy but on the other hand, people will be forced to really think about what they are doing to actualy get through the test.
    skoglol
    skoglol

Post by skoglol 2011-04-13, 06:14

Apart from power pick, what other rune can actually be abused? I dont see why there needs to be a test.
    I do however like the "Pay gil, get runecraft" plan. Money sink!
    Vespasian
    Vespasian

Post by Vespasian 2011-04-13, 06:18

NeroTheDarklord wrote:
    Vespasian wrote:Just make the rune cost 1000 gil or something like that. That will prevent new players from having access to it.

Well i think some kind of test is nessessary so it is VERY clear how to use runecraft and how NOT to use it!
    We of course could demand some Gil to even attempt to do the test. 1000 Gil per try? Sounds heavy but on the other hand, people will be forced to really think about what they are doing to actualy get through the test.

The rules with runecraft are simple: don't grief. People who have enough gil to blow 1000 on powerpicks have usually been around long enough to know not to grief.

"Tests" are ridiculous. We already have honeypot blocks to catch the random morons who break the first thing they see.
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-04-13, 07:20

Then on the other hand, not all players are as smart as the two of us.
    Keep in mind kids play this game aswell and they are not always so sure about the rules and tend to bend things to their advantage and easily rage if something doesent go in their mind. Just "pay gil, get runecraft" is too easy. Lets make the money sink even more efficent by adding a realistic chance to fail the test so you have to pay again to try.
    Vespasian
    Vespasian

Post by Vespasian 2011-04-13, 09:05

Eh, they're just getting a power pick, not TNT or something. Almost everyone who was mining or building something big has been using power picks for months, and this is the first time I've heard of someone griefing with it and getting away. Obviously we don't want that to happen again, but maybe a new plugin or something would prevent that, dunno. It's up to Orc anyway, so not much point talking about it without him in the discussion.
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-04-13, 09:56

Eh yeah. Your right there.
    Just one more thing: I might have started with only talking about the power pick rune, but you know there are a lot more runes disabled. Mostly because they might be abused in some way. If people get trained in runecraft and get told what is legal and what is not precisely, even dangerous runes might be available for trustworthy players.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-20, 17:08