Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Orcworm's SMP Server

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to Orcworm's Minecraft SMP Server, located at: orcworm.co.uk

For a lot of Java issues. These steps COULD fix it.

StodgY
    StodgY

For a lot of Java issues. These steps COULD fix it. Empty For a lot of Java issues. These steps COULD fix it.

Post by StodgY 2011-04-11, 21:34

Hello, I am StodgY

I would like to show some ways to fix some bugs in Java.

0. REALLY COMMON, make sure you have updated your graphic card drivers, motherboard and chipsets. ALSO SOUND. A lot of games run slow because of bad sound support.

1. First of all make sure when you have 64 bit windows that the 64 bit version of Java is installed. The normal install butten
    on their site installs the 32 bit version. You don't know if you have 64 or 32 bit? Than go to start and typ "dxdiag" and look on the first screen somewhere on the bottem. When you still have Windows XP you first need to click on "Run" when clicking start.

2. For some laptops, including mine, there are 2 graphic cards inside. Make sure you use the one that is best. For example. I have integrated Graphic Card and a NVDIA card.

----> For NVIDIA go to control panel and click NVIDIA Control Panel.
    ----> Click NVIDIA Control Panel
    ----> Left side click "3D Settings"
    ----> There 2 tabs. Main Settings and Program Settings. Go to program.
    ----> Click add and search for your Minecraft.exe
    ----> Set it to your best graphic card.

3. Java, memory.

Ok. You can FORCE Java to use more MB RAM. When you have 4 GB of MB RAM it uses not even 1 GB which can be easily fixed. Here the steps:

----> Go to control panel
    ----> Double click/open Java
    ----> 4 Tabs, one of them is Java, click it
    ----> Click "View"
    ----> There you see some information standing. Make sure you do this WITH THE MOST UPDATED VERSION!!!
    ----> In the parameters section typ: -Xms<ownnumber>m -Xmx<ownnumber>m A notify. The first parameter is the minimum you want Java to use in my settings there stand 256. Most important is the highest. I have 4 GB of Ram. I have set it on 2048 MB. The numbers are in MB and for example, when you got 2 GB of ram. You can higher it up to 1 GB and so on.

WINDOWS

REALLY important. Bill Gates thinks he is god and so, how annoying it is, he sets the maximum ram a program can use lower than that the OS itself uses. So when Windows 7 uses 2 GB of ram Windows doesn't let ANY program have more RAM than the OS. Means Java can't have more than 2 GB of Ram (when on WINDOWS 7!!!!)

To fix this is easy. I will Quote a post from somewhere else from a gaming forum and he explains how to fix it:

Code:
    Enabling 3GB switch on Windows Vista™ or Windows 7

You want to enable the 3GB switch on the Windows Vista™ or Windows 7 operating systems.

To enable the 3GB switch on Windows Vista™ or Windows 7:

Right-click Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.
        At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072"
        Restart the computer.

To disable the 3GB switch:

Right-click on Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.
        At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /deletevalue IncreaseUserVa"
        Restart the computer.

For more information on the 3GB switch, refer to the following Microsoft MSDN article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff556232.aspx

Ok. REMEMBER, this COULD fix your problem. I don't say it did. Either way it does let your computer run faster with games. Not only for Minecraft. If you want to do 4GB the end number would not be 3072 but 4096. So if you want 1GB than you have to fill in "1024" as 1024 is 1GB.

Thank you.

Current date/time is 2024-05-20, 20:23