Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Orcworm's SMP Server

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to Orcworm's Minecraft SMP Server, located at: orcworm.co.uk

+23
SlaveofRH
Galwail
LoliTastic
uberblake
MiniLink
Imir31d
Yarwood
Ciphon
gaz492
4o66
paradox74
patrickfreed
Baldymoint7
embair
Gornemant
Kn16h7
Rookery
Krellyn
Lizardman
Monstaboi
FillerB
Onlyme
Orcworm
27 posters

LWC - Move to alternative... or not?

Poll

Stick or move?

[ 16 ]
    LWC - Move to alternative... or not? Bar_left42%LWC - Move to alternative... or not? Bar_right [42%] 
    [ 22 ]
    LWC - Move to alternative... or not? Bar_left58%LWC - Move to alternative... or not? Bar_right [58%] 

Total Votes: 38
    Poll closed
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

LWC - Move to alternative... or not? Empty LWC - Move to alternative... or not?

Post by Orcworm 2011-05-06, 05:25

As we all know, LWC is an awful plugin, it's full of bugs, glitches, you name it.

What I'm suggesting is we move to this:
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My reasoning is it's literally the only other chest protection plugin that is easy to use (I'm looking at you, chestcapsule, or whatever it's called)

Positive aspects - Chests would protect properly ;p.

Negative aspects - Would require a remake of all chests whilst /cp 2 is active to create private chests, etc.

As usual, up to you guys.
    Onlyme
    Onlyme

LWC - Move to alternative... or not? Empty Re: LWC - Move to alternative... or not?

Post by Onlyme 2011-05-06, 05:28

Orcworm wrote:As we all know, LWC is an awful plugin, it's full of bugs, glitches, you name it.

What I'm suggesting is we move to this:

My reasoning is it's literally the only other chest protection plugin that is easy to use (I'm looking at you, chestcapsule, or whatever it's called)

Positive aspects - Chests would protect properly ;p.

Negative aspects - Would require a remake of all chests whilst /cp 2 is active to create private chests, etc.

As usual, up to you guys.

Well, what are the full capabilities of this addon? Is it as easy to add multiple names to the private list?

lwc's private list is /cprivate <name1> <name2>...
    what would containerprotect use?
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

LWC - Move to alternative... or not? Empty Re: LWC - Move to alternative... or not?

Post by Orcworm 2011-05-06, 05:30

Glancing over the desc. it looks like it'll be:
    /cp 3 player1 player2 player3
    FillerB
    FillerB
    So long and thanks for all the fish!

Post by FillerB 2011-05-06, 05:31

Code:

'/cp 1' sets current mode to 'Public' (This is the default)
        '/cp 2' sets current mode to 'Private'
        '/cp 3 name1 name2 nameN' sets current mode to 'Players' and grants access to named players
        '/cp 4 group1 group2 groupN' sets current mode to 'Groups' and grants access to named groups
        Place the chest, furnace or dispenser. The current protection mode will be applied.
        Note: When placing double chests, each half chest is handled independently. I highly recommend using the same mode for both to avoid confusion.

It's thus a bit of a bother (all chests have to be remade). I'm just wondering whether this will work with door too.
    Onlyme
    Onlyme

Post by Onlyme 2011-05-06, 05:32

Orcworm wrote:Glancing over the desc. it looks like it'll be:
    /cp 3 player1 player2 player3

alright, cool. I think I can handle that for my millions (greatly exaggerated, of course) of chests.

@Filler: ....shit. That just doubled my work.
    Monstaboi
    Monstaboi

Post by Monstaboi 2011-05-06, 05:37

dont we have to type the command for both halves of the chest though?
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-05-06, 05:41

Once you've typed the command it will stick for every chest you place, I tried it on my testing server. It would ofcourse be a pain in the ass to switch, hence the topic.
    Monstaboi
    Monstaboi

Post by Monstaboi 2011-05-06, 05:42

oh, i thought it was a type-and-smack type deal
    Lizardman
    Lizardman

Post by Lizardman 2011-05-06, 05:53

I've never had an issue with lwc, so eh.
    Krellyn
    Krellyn

Post by Krellyn 2011-05-06, 05:59

Would it be possible to warn everyone to just do /cremove a day before you implement this? (Should it be implemented, that is)
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-05-06, 06:02

Lizardman wrote:I've never had an issue with lwc, so eh.

Neither have I, but I wouldn't be moving across for either of us.
    Lizardman
    Lizardman

Post by Lizardman 2011-05-06, 06:05

Touche'. Just stating my experience.
    Rookery
    Banned
    Banned

Post by Rookery 2011-05-06, 06:07

I think we should stick with LWC most of its glitches are client side. So I would like to stick with it.
    Krellyn
    Krellyn

Post by Krellyn 2011-05-06, 06:12

Rookery wrote:I think we should stick with LWC most of its glitches are client side. So I would like to stick with it.

I know I argued that it's client sided, but I do believe that an alternative is still better... I mean.. if a majority of people are having problems with it, ya know?

I mean, we get enough Guests asking how to become Members as it is... LWC is only bringing more problems.
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-05-06, 06:28

True and I'm just WAITING for a complaint of someone who's locked chest full with diamonds has been stolen from due to a glitch.
    Kn16h7
    Kn16h7
    Banned
    Banned

Post by Kn16h7 2011-05-06, 06:34

well... its not in the option but i know a plugin that locks chest doors and furnaces using signs, its usfull to because you can add people to it very easy, it locks a double chest with ONE sign, and the same with double doors, also it u use it on double doors it opens them both with one click. plus, because it has a sign on it with the owners name, you know what chest belongs to who.

Meh personally i prefer it over /lwc.

its called Lockette

the bukkit thread:
    Onlyme
    Onlyme

Post by Onlyme 2011-05-06, 06:38

Kn16h7 wrote:well... its not in the option but i know a plugin that locks chest doors and furnaces using signs, its usfull to because you can add people to it very easy, it locks a double chest with ONE sign, and the same with double doors, also it u use it on double doors it opens them both with one click. plus, because it has a sign on it with the owners name, you know what chest belongs to who.

Meh personally i prefer it over /lwc.

its called Lockette

the bukkit thread:

I have 8 friends who log into the server who need access to my house. This sign mod will not work at all.
    Gornemant
    Gornemant
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Gornemant 2011-05-06, 06:39

Ninjad, oh well xD

If I may, I'd suggest this plugin here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It's also used by another massive server (which I'm not naming here) and seems to work really well.
    You can lock chests, furnaces, doors and dispensers.
    good: no database, a whole lot less load on the server.

bad: it might not be idiot proof as it requires a sign, but imho, if you provide an easy how to on the forum and in spawn and people still don't get it, then they're probably too stupid.

Edit: Features list:
    Spoiler:

Last edited by Gornemant on 2011-05-06, 06:53; edited 2 times in total
    Onlyme
    Onlyme

Post by Onlyme 2011-05-06, 06:41

Gornemant wrote:Ninjad, oh well xD

If I may, I'd suggest this plugin here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It's also used by another massive server (which I'm not naming here) and seems to work really well.
    bad: it might not be idiot proof as it requires a sign, but imho, if you provide an easy how to on the forum and in spawn and people still don't get it, then they're probably too stupid.

Again, I have 8 friends who use my stuff. There is no way I can get 8 or more friends on one sign.
    Lizardman
    Lizardman

Post by Lizardman 2011-05-06, 06:41

Gornemant wrote:Ninjad, oh well xD

Frankly, I like this idea a LOT more than the second idea. It would defeat the purpose of pillaging if EVERYTHING was automatically locked.
    Gornemant
    Gornemant
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Gornemant 2011-05-06, 06:45

onlyme wrote:
    Again, I have 8 friends who use my stuff. There is no way I can get 8 or more friends on one sign.
    You can use more than one sign, for 9 people you just need 3 signs instead of one.

EDIT: Here's a good presentation of the mod, you might want to read the whole thing in the provided link too. Wink
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-05-06, 06:52

Ahah! Lockette is the plugin I was referring to, jesus christ it's bad xD.
    Kn16h7
    Kn16h7
    Banned
    Banned

Post by Kn16h7 2011-05-06, 06:56

Orcworm wrote:Ahah! Lockette is the plugin I was referring to, jesus christ it's bad xD.

wuuuut? whats so bad about it? D:
    Gornemant
    Gornemant
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Gornemant 2011-05-06, 06:58

It uses signs I guess, it's not idiot proof. x3
    embair
    embair

Post by embair 2011-05-06, 06:59

ContainerProject: Do I understand it right, that there's no way to do something like /cmodify with this? If I wanted to add another player to an existing chest, I would have to break it and create new one?... Nightmare.

Lockette: Okay, Lion's Keep now has something like a 30 chests in storage every one of them locked for 3 names (possibly more in the future). Creating a sign or two for every single one of them? Nightmare.

LWC: Didn't notice any major issues.

So, simple choice for me. Too bad I already voted for ContainerProject before thinking about it. What can I say, me likes new plugins Rolling Eyes .
    Baldymoint7
    Baldymoint7

Post by Baldymoint7 2011-05-06, 07:06

Even tho I'm having no such problems with LWC I too suggest we move to Lockette since most people are having problems with it its for the better of the server.
    Kn16h7
    Kn16h7
    Banned
    Banned

Post by Kn16h7 2011-05-06, 07:07

what if... we had both?

one of the command style plugins and lockette? they wouldn't conflict because one is a sign editing mod and the other uses commands.
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-05-06, 07:08

And what if someone placed a lockette sign on one that was locked using the other plugin? ;p

Anyway, I'm thinking if there was some sort of /cp modify it would be perfect, unfortunately there isn't...
    patrickfreed
    patrickfreed
    Forum Staff
    Forum Staff

Post by patrickfreed 2011-05-06, 07:09

Whatever you do, stay away from Lockette...It is shit.
    Kn16h7
    Kn16h7
    Banned
    Banned

Post by Kn16h7 2011-05-06, 07:10

Orcworm wrote:And what if someone placed a lockette sign on one that was locked using the other plugin? ;p

>.< didnt think about that...

but still, i vote we add lockette to the poll options, and i still wanna know what u think is so bad about it orc.

EDIT: @pat Why is everyone hating Lockette? iv used it on many servers and it works very well, i dont see any real downsides other than the having 30+ chest thing, and i doubt everyone on the server has 30+ chest...
    Gornemant
    Gornemant
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Gornemant 2011-05-06, 07:13

I'd suggest to keep both plugins active for a given time as transition, whichever is going to be used if there's a replacement. Say, 2 weeks? If you just deactivate one and activate the other there's going to be a massive amount of complaints for looted stuff.
    embair: you're not alone in Lion's keep are you? Get them peons working. Wink
    Onlyme
    Onlyme

Post by Onlyme 2011-05-06, 07:39

I am worried that people are blindly selecting the new plugin, without actually understanding what it means.
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-05-06, 07:42

Meh human excrements will hit the whirling device in any case when we switch out a major plugin like this.
    Onlyme
    Onlyme

Post by Onlyme 2011-05-06, 07:45

FillerB wrote:Meh human excrements will hit the whirling device in any case when we switch out a major plugin like this.

In otherwords, shit will hit the fan.

My problem is that it doesn't have the equivalent of /cmodify. I have lots of friends who periodically join the server, so me having to break EVERY SINGLE CHEST block to include them in the list... that's insane.
    paradox74
    paradox74

Post by paradox74 2011-05-06, 07:56

i have 20+ chests and have yet to have a problem with LWC
    4o66
    4o66
    RP Moderator
    RP Moderator

Post by 4o66 2011-05-06, 08:19

I frequently use /lwc mode persist to add one or more players to server chests. Even with betterchat mod, and just using up arrow to rerun the command, this would get VERY tiresome without /lwc.

My vote is stick with lwc.

For the people complaining that it is client side: give me a full list of your plugins.
    (Note: I support the main plugins, if you are using something else, your fault for /lwc not working...)
    If I can isolate the problem plugin, we can submit a bug to the dev for /lwc.

Orc: on your test server, does /lb still work to see what has happened with a chest with the other plugins besides /lwc?
    gaz492

Post by gaz492 2011-05-06, 08:33

same /lwc works for me and all the mods i have id zombe mods and better chat
    Monstaboi
    Monstaboi

Post by Monstaboi 2011-05-06, 08:36

IMO, stay with lwc. its going to be a huge mess trying to get everyone informed, let alone the people who are gonna become really enraged at not seeing this and having everything stolen from thier now unlocked chests.
    Onlyme
    Onlyme

Post by Onlyme 2011-05-06, 08:46

Monstaboi wrote:IMO, stay with lwc. its going to be a huge mess trying to get everyone informed, let alone the people who are gonna become really enraged at not seeing this and having everything stolen from thier now unlocked chests.

I would assume that there would be a grace period for a good 2 weeks, starting when /lwc is removed and /cp is enabled.
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-05-06, 08:47

Instead of the people who are currently enraged because their chest was looted while it WAS locked?
    Onlyme
    Onlyme

Post by Onlyme 2011-05-06, 08:51

FillerB wrote:Instead of the people who are currently enraged because their chest was looted while it WAS locked?

Just because it's locked, doesn't mean you can let it be the only security solution. Smile
    Ciphon
    Ciphon

Post by Ciphon 2011-05-06, 08:54

container protect: doesnt work for doors or jukeboxes, so now your saying that theres no way to protect yourself from pvp? and also someone can just come in and steal the record in your jukebox? those are not easy to come by you know

lockette: your kidding right? that would just be ridiculous to have to put that many signs down...

lwc: i havent had many problems with lwc, overall it usually works fine, also IF your worried about losing your stuff incase it does glitch, you can hide it somewhere too

so my choice is lwc, plus as mentioned before, it has the modify and password function
    Gornemant
    Gornemant
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Gornemant 2011-05-06, 08:58

So moral of the story is: hide your stuff somewhere else than in plain sight. x3
    Lizardman
    Lizardman

Post by Lizardman 2011-05-06, 08:59

That ^ or...

be a cool kid and donate so no one can ever touch your shit. :3
    4o66
    4o66
    RP Moderator
    RP Moderator

Post by 4o66 2011-05-06, 09:00

If we have to change protection plugins, PLEASE hold off until it breaks for more than 30% of the users, or we map reset.
    Kn16h7
    Kn16h7
    Banned
    Banned

Post by Kn16h7 2011-05-06, 09:03

DC! i still need dat screenie!! [/offtopic]

Between lwc and cp, lwc pwns.

as far as lockette being a problem because you have to put that many signs down, a sign cost 8 planks... 8 planks...

and all you have to do is right click and type [private]

if u ask me thats no more work than typing /cprotect and left clicking

if its about using res. to make the signs them gawd DAM u must love ur wood O.o its 8 planks man! thats only 2 wood!

Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-05-06, 09:32

4o66 wrote:If we have to change protection plugins, PLEASE hold off until it breaks for more than 30% of the users, or we map reset.

It was a suggestion more than anything else, I hope the poll didn't give off the impression that it was the deciding factor in what will happen.

(Btw, how 'bout that linux help? Razz)
    Yarwood
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Yarwood 2011-05-06, 09:36

Map reset?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    Ciphon
    Ciphon

Post by Ciphon 2011-05-06, 09:37

oh right knight i forgot... getting it right now
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-05-06, 09:39

Yarwood wrote:Map reset?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

That .gif gets me every time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-10, 21:55