Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Orcworm's SMP Server

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to Orcworm's Minecraft SMP Server, located at: orcworm.co.uk

+12
Monstaboi
patrickfreed
aapl2
GoDjMike
sieve
Rulyon
PureCraft
Orcworm
Jarvisd
FillerB
Yarwood
darkxephos
16 posters

Yes more sword banter.

darkxephos
    darkxephos

Location : A secret location off the south side of the Erskine bridge

Yes more sword banter. Empty Yes more sword banter.

Post by darkxephos 2011-08-26, 04:47

I am currently in a stage of minor rage. As my last topic explained I am quite the blade enthusiast, so correct terms and descriptions are what i look for in a good sword review. But constantly i have been seeing a horrible amount of reviews saying stuff like "Great swords, love the design, but not that sharp", "Design is nice but not too sharp", "Got the swords delivered on the day stated, was exited but realised it wasnt sharp, this is a functional sword and should be razor sharp wtf". Well that is why i am in complete and utter rage, some people just clearly don't understand anything about the weapons they have purchased. So what I am going to do is form my rage into a lesson for all of you here on the orcworm forum.

Tangs.

A tang is the method used to attach the blade to the handle.

Full tang is where the blade runs the full length of the sword and the handle is literally bolted onto the blade. These are incredibly strong and you will find almost all functional/battle intended pieces will have a full tang.

Rat-tail tang is where the blade comes to a stop just inside the handle, it's then welded onto a circluar piece of metal which runs the remaining length of the handle. Rat-tail is only used in decorative or ornamental pieces due to the fact it's incredibly weak.

Half/push tang is where the blade is pushed halfway into the handle and fixed in place. It's strong but not functional, it's mostly used for strong decorative pieces.

Common sword materials.

Folded carbon steel, originally the point of folding was to spread the carbon content out evenly along the blade and remove impurities, otherwise you would have soft and hard spots and the blade would easily break in these places. Modern steel is of a lot better quality and already has an evenly distributed carbon content, so there isn't really any need for folding to improve the strength of the blade (If it's forged correctly). Folded steel is just as strong as normal steel but in my view you can't beat the look of a well folded blade.

Carbon Steel is simply the toughest stuff you can get and it most likely won't come cheap. It's extremely important if you buy a carbon steel blade that you keep it protected from ther air (oil will provide a good cover for the blade) as it will oxidise rust if left in contact with oxygen. There are various different 'styles' of carbon steel. The best being High Spring Carbon Steel and Damascus Carbon Steel

440 C is a stainless steel and a very robust metal, this is used in some of the cheaper functional/battle intended blades and in several of the decorative/ornamental pieces.

420 J2 this is top quality stainless steel, it's a precision metal and can be incredibly well polished, also it won't rust or stain. It's often refered to as 'surgical steel' because it's the same metal used for surgical equipment.

Strength/hardness of carbon steel.

The strength/hardness of steel is measured by units called "Rockwell's" on a scale known as the Rockwell C scale (RC). The higher the Rockwell value the stronger/harder the metal is, the higher the number dosn't always relate to the quality of the blade. Some blades need to be flexible and have different properties and many are made of more than one strength of steel such as forged and folded blades.

30-40 RC. This level of strength/hardness is the lowest RC you allow for a sword. Swords repeatedly exposed to edge-on-edge fighting will dent but not chip and can be hammered back straight at 40 rc.

40-45 RC. This is a good RC to be used on the spine of differentially heat-treated swords. This hardness level will have some spring qualities, allowing the blade to flex slightly and therefore absorb the impact of the collision.

50-52 RC. This is the most common for the European and medieval style blades. A blade of this rc will give you a good middle-line between hardness for holding an edge and strength. It's still soft enough to be a good shock absorber though, dampening vibrations passed through the blade to the tang then to your hands.

58-60 RC. This is the ideal strength/hardness for the edge of differently heat treated blades like Japanese katanas and Chinese swords. A blade with an edge of this hardness can slice into most materials that are comparably softer like some woods and plastics.

Well that's all I've got for now,but there is one last thing. To quickly explain my rage towards the comments quoted earlier. A sword shouldn't be razor sharp. The fantasy that how well a sword cuts is purely based on how sharp it, is one that is widespread among novices and movies. Skill, practice, balance and training are what determines how well a sword will cut. The functional swords are sharpened to exact degree they need to be for their intended purpose. To razor sharpen a blade will take it to such a fine edge that it will be brittle and prone to chipping, particularly when you consider the forces involved when a blade swung at full force will come under when it meets it's target. Even a sword that does not feel very sharp will still perform well, a good example to show this is to hold a piece of A4 paper and watch the blade slice this neatly in half.

If you read all of this then thank you and please leave a comment. Ninja\'d
    Yarwood
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Yes more sword banter. Empty Re: Yes more sword banter.

Post by Yarwood 2011-08-26, 05:01

Why the fuck do you want "blades" anyway? What a fucking waste of money
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Post by darkxephos 2011-08-26, 05:06

Yarwood wrote:Why the fuck do you want "blades" anyway? What a fucking waste of money

I have always had a bit of a passion for swords, ever since I was able to walk I think.
    FillerB
    FillerB
    So long and thanks for all the fish!

Post by FillerB 2011-08-26, 05:07

Yes more sword banter. LOLcats+interesting

And Yar-Yar... Why do people get shitfaced so much that they can't remember a fucking thing anyway? What a fucking waste of money.
    Jarvisd
    Jarvisd
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Jarvisd 2011-08-26, 05:17

FillerB wrote:-snip-

And Yar-Yar... Why do people get shitfaced so much that they can't remember a fucking thing anyway? What a fucking waste of money.

That is a stupid question.

Last edited by FillerB on 2011-08-26, 05:20; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : snipped the img)
    FillerB
    FillerB
    So long and thanks for all the fish!

Post by FillerB 2011-08-26, 05:20

It's the exact same as Yarwoods and it has the exact same answer.

Also be a dear and don't quote images.
    Yarwood
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Yarwood 2011-08-26, 06:10

Nah, the blades are a waste because they serve no purpose, they're just there for memorabilia(sp) or for show..

Getting shitfaced on the other hand has MANY perks.
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-08-26, 06:28

Yarwood wrote:Nah, the blades are a waste because they serve no purpose, they're just there for memorabilia(sp) or for show..

Will you be fare better against a burglar with a samurai sword or pissed off your rocker?
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Post by darkxephos 2011-08-26, 06:35

Yarwood wrote:Nah, the blades are a waste because they serve no purpose, they're just there for memorabilia(sp) or for show..

Yar, I can sorta see your point, but swords are something that i have been fasinated by since i was just a little toddler. I think it has started from all those fairy tales with the knights in shineing armor with there giant broadswords that they use to purge the world of the evil presences it harbors. I used to fantasise about riding in on a towering white horse and saving the day from a monsterous horror. I know that unfortunately that will never happen, but whilst holding a bladed weapon, subliminaly through my minds eye for that short momment I am that un-named champion on his allmighty mount galloping in to the fray as my shimmering armor glistens in the ever beating sunlight. So you may not see the point in swords and other bladed weapons but to me, there everything, they're that fragment of my dreams I can actually hold, the physical piece of my childhood I can still hold close and dear, the swift striking extension of my arm that has captivated my mind for years upon end. So mock all you want, drink all you want, but to me, a sword is my childhood, my mindset dream and to be able to hold it in my aww inspired hands for even the slightest momment each day. To me, that makes the ridicule I face from my peers on a daily bases worth it, knowing that in my home, where I'm safe from there taunts and slurs, I have that fragment of my childhood dreams.
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

Post by PureCraft 2011-08-26, 08:23

Are you drunk again?
    you
    Yes more sword banter. 4878-109680-11919933183jpg-468x
    Rulyon
    Rulyon
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Rulyon 2011-08-26, 09:16

I can see you get more fulfillment and meaning from your hobby than most other people here are fortunate enough to get out of ANYTHING. Don't let Yar's jabs get under your skin, Xephos. By not trash-talking his choice of pastime, you're showing yourself to be the bigger man here.

I've been interested in Woodworking as a hobby for some time. My grandfather was a carpenter. He was going to start teaching me when I graduated high school; it was something I looked forward to for years as I was growing up. He promised me that when I was young, 11, I think. But he died a month after I graduated. I never got to sit with him in his workshop learning from him and benefiting from his wisdom. I really wish I had.
    Yarwood
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Yarwood 2011-08-26, 09:27

Hey man, you looking for some advice man, you want some advice, you do? Gooood, you in the right place man.

If it's your fantasy, then leave it as that, a fantasy.. Until you have disposable income Razz

Woodwork on the other hand is "productive", as you get something out of it.

The only reason I say it's a waste of money is because you're (apparently) 15 (if not, you're somewhere close), and that you should be saving your money for more important things..

For example, knowing that you're from the UK, did you know it's gonna cost you ATLEAST £4000 to start driving.

If you were older and (assuming you don't have a job right now) and have a disposable income then yeah, go for it.

It's only advice man, that's all it is, if your advice and my advice don't get on together then fuck it, it's only advice, cause in the end you can DO WHATEVER THE FUCK YOU WANNAA DO!

hodgetwins

Orcworm wrote:

Will you be fare better against a burglar with a samurai sword or pissed off your rocker?

Perhaps I'd use my shotgun instead.. xD
    Rulyon
    Rulyon
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Rulyon 2011-08-26, 09:40

Ah, the Benelli M4... <affectionate sigh>
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Post by darkxephos 2011-08-27, 02:46

Ruly thanks for understanding, not many people do. Yar, I have a few things to say. I am 15, I have a disposable income, I have over 5k in a single savings account (I have a few others with a bit less in them), I also have no need to worry about what car I should get when I can drive because a relative of mine is going to give me his car (he's 70 and the car is a porsche Very Happy ), I am aware that that was only advice but i felt the need to fill you in. Oh and I am also aware that car insurance for 17 year olds cost a horrible amount but my uncle has a friend who works with an insurance company and can get me insurance for cheap cheap cheap.
    Yarwood
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Yarwood 2011-08-27, 03:36

... Are you serious
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-08-27, 03:38

My father is actually Bill Gates.
    Yarwood
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Yarwood 2011-08-27, 03:49

Orcworm wrote:My father is actually Bill Gates.

I thought that when I met him, I wasn't sure though and didn't want to be rude.
    sieve
    sieve

Post by sieve 2011-08-27, 06:49

Yes more sword banter. Steve-jobs-and-bill-gates-jokes
    GoDjMike
    GoDjMike

Post by GoDjMike 2011-08-27, 07:01

darkxephos wrote:I have over 5k in a single savings account (I have a few others with a bit less in them).

5K, not too bad. Now all you have to do is make some investment choices in a stable industry and you'll triple that in no time. Even in the shitty economy Obama has made worse, you can still make good money with a little bit of decent research. And luck of course Razz
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Post by darkxephos 2011-08-27, 07:17

I am serious, my mum is second manager of an entire company, She got me a job as her assistant, I get a decent bit over minimum wage. I've been doing it since I was like 12, my gran left me a shit-load of money when she died ... My Dad left me when i was like 3 so it's just been me my Mum and my little Brother, so my uncle Frank (He isn't exactly my uncle, He's my Mums uncle) has been like a Father to me, taking me fishing and stuff. So he's giving me his car seeing as He'll soon be quiting driving. So yeah, I'm pretty much set and only need to worry about grades, hence why I wantt swords. I was given almost everything I wanted when I was younger so getting something I've only dreamed about is something big for me.
    aapl2
    aapl2

Post by aapl2 2011-08-27, 07:19

darkxephos wrote:I am serious, my mum is second manager of an entire company, She got me a job as her assistant, I get a decent bit over minimum wage. I've been doing it since I was like 12, my gran left me a shit-load of money when she died ... My Dad left me when i was like 3 so it's just been me my Mum and my little Brother, so my uncle Frank (He isn't exactly my uncle, He's my Mums uncle) has been like a Father to me, taking me fishing and stuff. So he's giving me his car seeing as He'll soon be quiting driving. So yeah, I'm pretty much set and only need to worry about grades, hence why I wantt swords. I was given almost everything I wanted when I was younger so getting something I've only dreamed about is something big for me.

have fun buying gas haha
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Post by darkxephos 2011-08-27, 07:23

I don't get it.
    patrickfreed
    patrickfreed
    Forum Staff
    Forum Staff

Post by patrickfreed 2011-08-27, 07:28

He's saying that you are going to have a tough time purchasing gasoline, the thing that powers your car.
    aapl2
    aapl2

Post by aapl2 2011-08-27, 07:29

patrickfreed wrote:He's saying that you are going to have a tough time purchasing gasoline, the thing that powers your car.

they shut the oil platforms in the gulf down too it will take a month to get them up.

because of the hurricane that's hitting the cost ololol.
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Post by darkxephos 2011-08-27, 07:38

Oh, that'll be why I didn't get it, we call it petrol or deisel, and I am aware of the prices of "gas". But I've still got about 2 years to go until I can drive.
    Monstaboi
    Monstaboi

Post by Monstaboi 2011-08-27, 09:17

darkxephos wrote:Ruly thanks for understanding, not many people do. Yar, I have a few things to say. I am 15, I have a disposable income, I have over 5k in a single savings account (I have a few others with a bit less in them), I also have no need to worry about what car I should get when I can drive because a relative of mine is going to give me his car (he's 70 and the car is a porsche Very Happy ), I am aware that that was only advice but i felt the need to fill you in. Oh and I am also aware that car insurance for 17 year olds cost a horrible amount but my uncle has a friend who works with an insurance company and can get me insurance for cheap cheap cheap.
    send me like $20 so i can get a steam game ^.^
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Post by darkxephos 2011-08-27, 09:20

Well this people is why I don't like telling people these things, I instantly get flooded with people asking me to buy them things, jokingly or not. I buy all my friends lunch everyday at school because they found out about this. It has made my life a living hell, I dnever know who genuinly wants to be my friend or if they just want money. Crying or Very sad
    maroon_potatoe

Post by maroon_potatoe 2011-08-27, 10:07

Yarwood wrote: Perhaps I'd use my shotgun instead.. xD

i agree with you there yar Very Happy

oh and josh i dont tend to really ask for money unless we either had a bet or you offer it and i try to pay it back but you always seem to reject it but thats a whole other story
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Post by darkxephos 2011-08-27, 10:09

Cos i don't accept money from others, it fucking annoys me when people give me money.
    Monstaboi
    Monstaboi

Post by Monstaboi 2011-08-27, 10:55

darkxephos wrote:Well this people is why I don't like telling people these things, I instantly get flooded with people asking me to buy them things, jokingly or not. I buy all my friends lunch everyday at school because they found out about this. It has made my life a living hell, I dnever know who genuinly wants to be my friend or if they just want money. Crying or Very sad
    i was joking, you silly goose.
    sieve
    sieve

Post by sieve 2011-08-27, 10:58

Money and friends don't mix, I learned not to lend money to people I know a long ago
    Rulyon
    Rulyon
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Rulyon 2011-08-27, 12:18

sieve wrote:Money and friends don't mix, I learned not to lend money to people I know a long ago

My grandfather once told me:

Don't loan money you can't afford to lose. And when your friends ask for a "loan"... consider it a gift. Will they pay it back? Maybe, and if so, awesome. But if not, you never expected it back in the first place, and your friendship won't suffer for it.

Best financial (and relationship!) advice I've ever received.
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Post by darkxephos 2011-08-27, 20:33

Monsta don't worry I know it was a joke, that's why I said jokingly or not.
    Ciphon
    Ciphon

Post by Ciphon 2011-08-28, 00:54

Wow, I leave the forums for one day and come back to a monster f a topic with 3 pages and about what, 15 paragraphs. But anyways darkxephos, I found this very informing since when I grow up the 2 weapons of defense I want are a sword, and a pistol. Now I know atleast what kind of swords are useful, and which ones are not
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Post by darkxephos 2011-08-28, 00:56

Ciphon wrote:sword and a pistol

Are you a 40k Space Marine ???
    Ciphon
    Ciphon

Post by Ciphon 2011-08-28, 01:19

why.... Yes I am....

What is a 40k space marine?
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Post by darkxephos 2011-08-28, 01:26

A Warhammer 40K Space Marine, they tend to take a bolter pistol and a chain sword ... I think this pic explains it better than I can.

Yes more sword banter. 68008warhammer40000spac
    Ciphon
    Ciphon

Post by Ciphon 2011-08-28, 05:22

ah, yes, that picture is a self portrait of my grown up self

no, im not bald, i just got a haircut!!!
    onlinerocker
    onlinerocker

Post by onlinerocker 2011-08-28, 05:41

That made my lol Ciphon
    paradox74
    paradox74

Post by paradox74 2011-08-28, 06:38

Rulyon wrote: Best financial (and relationship!) advice I've ever received.

Borrow money from pessimists, they don't expect it back. Smile
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Post by darkxephos 2011-08-28, 10:12

I decided to get 3 Samurai Katana at the last minute, they're 420 J2, full tang and they also look absolutely fucking boss.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-10, 08:00