Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Orcworm's SMP Server

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to Orcworm's Minecraft SMP Server, located at: orcworm.co.uk

+4
blockybalboa
DoughnutSpanker
killerd0nkey
Hellfire1979
8 posters

How to construct a Sugar Cane Auto Farm

Hellfire1979
    Hellfire1979

How to construct a Sugar Cane Auto Farm Empty How to construct a Sugar Cane Auto Farm

Post by Hellfire1979 2011-11-15, 02:34

Hello Everyone!

Recently I've been constructing auto-farms to assist me in my day-to-day existence on Minecraft and I decided to share a sugar cane auto-farm I recently built. This design is very efficient, both for what it does, and for maximizing production in a small area of space. It's just the right size that it can be built relatively quickly and also yields enough sugar cane to make it worth while. Obviously, there are lots of ways to skin the cat... so use it to educate yourself (if you're unfamiliar with auto-farms) or just get ideas for your own creation. Hopefully everyone can get something out of this.

As a kid, I was a big fan of Legos. Seeing as how this is a building block game, I decided I'd structure my guide like a Lego instruction guide. So with each group of instructions below, I've included a screenshot to help visualize what I'm talking about. Hopefully this will help answer any questions you might have. Of course, if they don't, send me a PM or reply to the post and I will clarify anything that was unclear.

With that said... to the guide...

STEP 1

* Create a rectangle of blocks flush with the ground that is 29 blocks wide by 15 blocks long in size.
    * Down the middle, at the 15 block position, create a path.
    (The block type you use is irrevelant. I used sandstone just because I like the look. Use whatever you prefer)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

STEP 2

* On top of the outer blocks, stack a 4 block high wall. This will be the outer wall of your structure
    * At the front where the center path meets your wall, create a standard 2x1 door (your entrance)
    * To the left and right of the center path, starting at the back of the wall, begin creating 2 block high walls.
    * These walls should extend 9 blocks toward your entrance, then at the 10th block, place sandstone slabs.
    * At the far end of your center path, place a single block against the wall.
    (From here on, this center path will be referred to as the PRIMARY CONVEYOR)

STEP 3

* Using a water bucket, dump water on the block at the far end of your primary conveyor
    * If you built the conveyor correctly, the water should stop just before the sandstone slabs.

STEP 4

* Build a 9x10 flat surface, 2 blocks high on either side of your primary conveyor.
    (I used a different block type so you can tell the difference in the picture. Use whatever type you want)
    * The surface should start at the back wall and extend until even with your sandstone slabs.
    * Make the last two columns on this surface closest to the left and right walls 3 blocks high.
    (From here on, these surfaces will be referred to as ROUTING CHANNELS)

STEP 5

* On the last column of each routing channel, add a column of dirt.
    * On the front row closest to your door, add an additional 2 blocks height to your routing channel.
    (You MUST ues dirt on the first part of this step. This is where your sugar cane will be planted)

STEP 6

* Add another column of dirt three spots inward (leaving a 2 spot gap) from your previous dirt column.
    * This second dirt row should extend the same length as your first, from the back wall to the front of your routing channels.

STEP 7

* Use your water bucket to dump water ONLY next to the dirt column farthest from center.
    * DO NOT dump water next to both dirt columns, only the back column.
    * Dump water at every point along this back dirt row. If done correctly, your water should stop at the top edge of the primary conveyor.

STEP 8

* Add another 2 block height to your outer wall.
    * Create 3x9 platforms 1 block above and behind each of your dirt columns (look at the screenshot below).
    * You should have a total of 4 platforms (again, I used a different block type only to aid in the illustration)
    * Against the left and right walls, add a "step down" level against the platforms (3x1) each.

STEP 9

* Create a small room where your door enters into the building.
    (The screenshot below is taken from the primary conveyor belt looking toward the front entrance)
    * Add a button to the bottom corner of your room. This button will be used to farm your sugar cane.

STEP 10

* In the interor of your structure, add steps like the screenshot below.
    * These steps will be the paths for the redstone circuits.

STEP 11

* Create your redstone circuitry like the screenshot below.
    * Make sure each of your repeaters are facing the direction your redstone circuitry is flowing.
    * You can temporarily replace your button block with a redstone torch to verify your paths work correctly (Marked 'A' in the screenshot).

STEP 12

* Once you've verified your redstone circuitry is working correctly, place repeaters along each of the platforms.
    * The repeaters should be in the middle block facing (directing circuit flow) toward the backside of each routing channel.

STEP 13

* To each of the dirt plots, add sugar cane.
    * To the last empty column on each platform, add a piston facing the sugar cane.

STEP 14

* Increase your outer wall 2 more blocks in height. Add a roof if you'd like.
    * Make sure your sugar cane have at least 3 blocks clearance on top so they can grow to full height
    * Add a wall (rim) around and on top of your pistons. This will prevent sugar cane from falling off the edges.

STEP 15

* GIVE YOUR SUGAR CANE A FEW MINUTES TO GROW.
    * Go to the room you created and test your button.
    * If all was created correctly, you should have sugar cane flowing within about 20 seconds.

At this point you should have a functioning sugar cane auto-farm. Anything else you choose to add is really just aesthetics. If you have questions or problems, post below.
    killerd0nkey
    killerd0nkey

How to construct a Sugar Cane Auto Farm Empty Re: How to construct a Sugar Cane Auto Farm

Post by killerd0nkey 2011-11-15, 06:00

This is one of the best guides ive ever seen on this forum and judgung youre also so new to the forum aswell.
    DoughnutSpanker
    DoughnutSpanker
    Donator
    Donator

How to construct a Sugar Cane Auto Farm Empty Re: How to construct a Sugar Cane Auto Farm

Post by DoughnutSpanker 2011-11-15, 07:49

Wow, great tutorial. May I ask what texture pack you are using?
    Hellfire1979
    Hellfire1979

Post by Hellfire1979 2011-11-15, 10:12

DoughnutSpanker wrote:Wow, great tutorial. May I ask what texture pack you are using?

I'm using Misa's Texture Pack (64x64).

You can find it here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    blockybalboa
    blockybalboa

Post by blockybalboa 2011-11-15, 11:36

killerd0nkey wrote:This is one of the best guides ive ever seen on this forum and judgung youre also so new to the forum aswell.
    I've* Judging* you're* as as well*
    Your garbage..
    GaMerG77
    GaMerG77
    Donator
    Donator

Post by GaMerG77 2011-11-15, 12:07

blockybalboa wrote:
    killerd0nkey wrote:This is one of the best guides ive ever seen on this forum and judgung youre also so new to the forum aswell.
    Your garbage..
    You're*.
    blockybalboa
    blockybalboa

Post by blockybalboa 2011-11-15, 15:05

GaMerG77 wrote:
    blockybalboa wrote:
    Your garbage..
    You're*.
    Either way..
    God dammit kid -_- I was trying to make a point ..
    Krellyn
    Krellyn

Post by Krellyn 2011-11-15, 16:18

blockybalboa wrote:
    GaMerG77 wrote:
    blockybalboa wrote:
    Your garbage..
    You're*.
    Either way..
    God dammit kid -_- I was trying to make a point ..

Can't make a point when you're a hypocrite, LOL.

Hellfire1979 wrote:
    Spoiler:

Really fantastic tutorial. I've always preferred written tutorials with image previews as opposed to video. This post in particular is rather fantastic. I love how organized the text is (font sizes and color changes). Well-made, and actually kinda useful.
    purple_turtle
    purple_turtle

Post by purple_turtle 2011-11-15, 16:23

Would you mind if I made a youtube tutorial on how to build this? I would give you all the credit; just thought people could find it better on youtube and it'd get more attention Very Happy
    If not, thats cool too Very Happy
    Hellfire1979
    Hellfire1979

Post by Hellfire1979 2011-11-15, 18:24

purple_turtle wrote:Would you mind if I made a youtube tutorial on how to build this? I would give you all the credit; just thought people could find it better on youtube and it'd get more attention Very Happy
    If not, thats cool too Very Happy

Sure, go right ahead.
    darkxephos
    darkxephos

Location : A secret location off the south side of the Erskine bridge

Post by darkxephos 2011-11-16, 00:48

Why you make noob farm. Set a couple of clocks into it and make it auto-farm for the time they grow.
    Hellfire1979
    Hellfire1979

Post by Hellfire1979 2011-11-16, 03:08

darkxephos wrote:Why you make noob farm. Set a couple of clocks into it and make it auto-farm for the time they grow.

Clock farms are retarded in my opinion. Number one, if they are small, they fire off so fast they become annoying in about 30 seconds. Or two, you build them so complex (for an extended timer) that it isn't worth the resource cost. Remember, this is a sugar cane farm... not a diamond farm. A complex clock system just isn't worth it. Besides, it's really not that hard to push a button and wait 15-20 seconds for sugar cane to flow down to your feet. You can always extend the length of the building and add more sugar cane plots if you want a greater output volume.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-04-28, 18:01