Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Orcworm's SMP Server

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to Orcworm's Minecraft SMP Server, located at: orcworm.co.uk

+16
angelin
Lizardman
Albuca
Orcworm
Jarvisd
UrMomsMoat
GaMerG77
patrickfreed
Pete
Krellyn
mtbers
Ciphon
thebadhatter
redjello
PureCraft
FillerB
20 posters

General Information Topic. Read this before posting.

FillerB
    FillerB
    So long and thanks for all the fish!

General Information Topic. Read this before posting. Empty General Information Topic. Read this before posting.

Post by FillerB 2011-06-15, 02:37

Hello and welcome to Orcworm.co.uk! Before you start posting on our forum on doing... whatever it is you plan to do on our Minecraft Server I would like you to read the following rules. Failure to do so, or failure to comprehend them, _may_ result in a swift exile so be sure to read them.

Server Rules (Last revision: 14-06-2011):

Forum Rules (Last revision: 11-08-2011):

Ranks (Last revision: 14-06-2011):

Donator Perks (Last revision: 14-06-2011):

Any questions or suggestions concerning these rules can be posted in this topic. Be aware that all off-topic messages will be deleted and it's poster temporarily banned in accordance with Forum Rule #5.

Last edited by FillerB on 2011-08-12, 07:12; edited 3 times in total
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

General Information Topic. Read this before posting. Empty Re: General Information Topic. Read this before posting.

Post by PureCraft 2011-06-15, 02:51

Spoiler:

[This user has received a temporary ban of the forums for this post. Duration: 48 hours]
    FillerB
    FillerB

General Information Topic. Read this before posting. Empty Re: General Information Topic. Read this before posting.

Post by FillerB 2011-06-15, 03:05

And to demonstrate that the rules apply to everyone PureCraft has just gracefully volunteered himself to show them in action.

redjello
    Banned
    Banned

Post by redjello 2011-06-15, 05:43

I had planned a big elaborate critique however my browser closed before i could hit send, so i'm just going to say Section 4 line 1 is a great way to provide loopholes into griefing peoples tracks torches and other blocks of the such.
    thebadhatter
    thebadhatter

Post by thebadhatter 2011-06-15, 05:49

Modifying the immediate area around another player's structure for the sole intend of "pissing them off" is likewise not allowed

Is there any sort of definitive radius that counts as "the immediate area"? 10 blocks, 100 blocks, within eyesight? Say for example someone built a giant pixelart sign saying "you are a fuckass hatter" within sight of my house, yet it was quite far away, would that still break the rule?

In the case that the player building nearby claims that they weren't trying to piss anyone off, say for example building a dwelling near someone who wanted to live in a remote area, to what extent would it have to be likely that they are in fact trying to irritate people for them to be punished? It seems like a situation likely to include the "It's a free country, you don't own this land, I can build where I like" argument. Are there any finer details to be had concerning this one? I've wondered about it myself
    Ciphon
    Ciphon

Post by Ciphon 2011-06-15, 05:57

i like how the new ingame rules have been simplified, and close many loopholes that were left open, and i like the new concept of safe zones... just might be a challenge to enforce them

edit:
    Thebadhatter wrote:Is there any sort of definitive radius that counts as "the immediate area"? 10 blocks, 100 blocks, within eyesight? Say for example someone built a giant pixelart sign saying "you are a fuckass hatter" within sight of my house, yet it was quite far away, would that still break the rule?

In the case that the player building nearby claims that they weren't trying to piss anyone off, say for example building a dwelling near someone who wanted to live in a remote area, to what extent would it have to be likely that they are in fact trying to irritate people for them to be punished? It seems like a situation likely to include the "It's a free country, you don't own this land, I can build where I like" argument. Are there any finer details to be had concerning this one? I've wondered about it myself

i think that would have to be decided as the case arises, and also maybe server rule 3 could have something to do with "the immediate area"
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-06-15, 06:04

Jello:
    Excepts it isn't since people have to clean it up themselves afterwards. This was added to give people some more freedom in PvP. If people want to use it, then they are fully accountable for all lasting damages made by the water/lava. Using it to grief is and has always been bannable.

Might I also trouble you in pointing out section 10 point 2 aka our catch-all rule: "Using possible loopholes in the rules is not allowed.". But thanks for expressing your concerns. If you find any more objectionable rules than I'm glad to explain why that rule was made and/or change it.

Hatter:
    As for the immediate area, that depends solely on the case in question and has thus been left vague so people can not worm around it by building 1 block further than some arbitrary limit. It was mostly added for cases such as making trap holes right before someone's door or giant floating platforms above houses. As it is not touching the build itself it's not technically griefing, but I think we can all agree that it isn't exactly a nice thing to do. In your case I would put it more under harassment than anything else.
    mtbers
    mtbers

Post by mtbers 2011-06-16, 01:54

Noticed a slight error in the second line of the grieving rules. It should be intent, not intend.
    redjello
    Banned
    Banned

Post by redjello 2011-06-16, 05:05

Who again decides what a loophole is? Wouldn't want for one person to say its a loophole while another says its not. It seems sort of like a way to make rules without telling everyone what those rules are. I think its hard to reprimand someone for a rule that they weren't actually given or shown. I think that the last set of rules was better defined.
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-06-16, 05:17

Which is what the staff discussion forum is for. And please, the _meaning_ behind the rules should be clear. Don't be too much of an asshole and you won't get banned. We/I expect that people playing can think out for themselves what would be acceptable behaviour. You aren't 3-years old who need to be told everything.
    Krellyn
    Krellyn

Post by Krellyn 2011-06-16, 08:13

I have a question / request for an edit regarding Section 4:

Line 1 does not state any limits involving the no-PVP area.

Perhaps someone should add that the use of fire and lava is illegal in non-pvp areas?
    Ciphon
    Ciphon

Post by Ciphon 2011-06-16, 08:26

oh that made me realize, what happened to the no killing dogs in no-pvp areas?
    Pete
    Pete

Post by Pete 2011-06-16, 08:33

Linked (right after posting this) to the top part of the forum, in case someone misses global announcements.
    patrickfreed
    patrickfreed
    Forum Staff
    Forum Staff

Post by patrickfreed 2011-06-16, 08:45

PetePorty wrote:Linked (right after posting this) to the top part of the forum, in case someone misses global announcements.
    Pete, turn that into a clickable link. (Last time I touched that thing people got angry Shocked) http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_links.asp
    Edit: It's better, now make the link red. Razz
    GaMerG77
    GaMerG77
    Donator
    Donator

Post by GaMerG77 2011-06-16, 09:59

The top link directs me to the general forum not this individual thread.
    Oh and FillerB, delete that non-hidden staff note ;p.
    UrMomsMoat
    UrMomsMoat

Post by UrMomsMoat 2011-06-16, 10:54

ah, thanks for the information. i actually read them guys Very Happy
    Pete
    Pete

Post by Pete 2011-06-16, 12:06

Fixed... I think.

EDIT: Ok, I'm fine with the online thingy, but... the donation jar... I mean, it kind of makes that part a little too big. (Also, 145? WTF? You should cut down, it seems like it's way too much for a fucking MC server...)
    Ciphon
    Ciphon

Post by Ciphon 2011-06-17, 14:19

im confused about the server rules, orcworm said we aren't using the new ones posted on here.
    Jarvisd
    Jarvisd
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Jarvisd 2011-06-17, 14:26

Yah and 16bit said they don't use theses one either??? Maybe we should make the website ones accurate with these ones.
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-06-17, 22:33

Both sets are extremely similar, and there are sections where I prefer one over the other, and vise versa. The thing that doesn't seem to be quite right to me is the 'safe zone' policy - are staff members actually supposed to count 16 blocks from a house using a given screenshot to determine whether or not a kill was legitimate or not?

Some people on this game, in my eyes, just need to suck it up and move on if they've been killed - not claim every command under the sun was used to kill them, whilst breaking half a dozen rules along with it.
    Albuca
    Albuca
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Albuca 2011-06-17, 23:02

[Delete Me]

Last edited by Albuca on 2011-06-17, 23:05; edited 1 time in total
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-06-17, 23:05

See the rules section for a change guys. II cannot believe you people start criticizing it now when it was on display for an entire WEEK before this topic went up. You had PLENTY of time to point stuff like this out. Honestly....
    Krellyn
    Krellyn

Post by Krellyn 2011-06-18, 02:51

Orcworm wrote:Both sets are extremely similar, and there are sections where I prefer one over the other, and vise versa. The thing that doesn't seem to be quite right to me is the 'safe zone' policy - are staff members actually supposed to count 16 blocks from a house using a given screenshot to determine whether or not a kill was legitimate or not?

Some people on this game, in my eyes, just need to suck it up and move on if they've been killed - not claim every command under the sun was used to kill them, whilst breaking half a dozen rules along with it.

In all honesty, I like both sets of rules, seeing as the newer set fills a loooooot of the loopholes that the older ones had. However the newer ones have some outrageous rules that, well, basically trying to make the server a a freebuild instead of a PVP.

Jarvisd wrote:Yah and 16bit said they don't use theses one either??? Maybe we should make the website ones accurate with these ones.

We're basically just like Ciphon:

Ciphon wrote:im confused about the server rules, orcworm said we aren't using the new ones posted on here.
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-06-18, 02:59

I honestly don't see how these rules make it a freebuild-server. PvP is still very much allowed (hell you can even use water/lava now if you clean the shit up). You only don't get to camp outside of players houses anymore.
    Krellyn
    Krellyn

Post by Krellyn 2011-06-18, 03:07

FillerB wrote:I honestly don't see how these rules make it a freebuild-server. PvP is still very much allowed (hell you can even use water/lava now if you clean the shit up). You only don't get to camp outside of players houses anymore.

I'm gonna quote Orc, now:

Orcworm wrote:Both sets are extremely similar, and there are sections where I prefer one over the other, and vise versa. The thing that doesn't seem to be quite right to me is the 'safe zone' policy - are staff members actually supposed to count 16 blocks from a house using a given screenshot to determine whether or not a kill was legitimate or not?

The 16-block radius idea is good, but extravagant. Maybe make the radius 4? Realistically, 16-blocks is just ridiculous. Everything is all cluttered regardless. Not to mention, the rule about "No Camping" should deal with camping outside a house as it is. This rule both complicates the job for the higher-ups once all those butthurt kiddies start posting saying, "HE KILLED ME WITH HIS BOW AND ARROW 15 BLOCKS AWAY FROM ME! I COUNTED!" It's gonna be a huuuuge hassle for everything. Say the Safe Zone were... 3-4, PVPers can't hit the victim with their sword, and if they constantly try, the victim has ample amount of time to screenshot the situation, and also prove a potential camping complaint.

Your thoughts, Filler?
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-06-18, 03:23

(On a sidenote: I can't believe that you are the first one to come with a serious suggestion)

Yes, I know the 1 chunk/16 blocks area is excessively large and is practically unenforceable. Maybe we could lower the radius to 5 or 6, leaving a bit of wiggle room because of LOLNOTCH/Lag.

But I'm not sure people are actually understanding the reasoning behind the whole safe zone-crap. Not _only_ is it to protect against campers. It is also to protect players who are busy constructing a large _announced_ project, such as the statues. Yes, it makes the whole thing look a tad freebuildisch (is that a word?) but those usually have large amounts of blocks on them and aren't looking at there environments. True, the protection shouldn't even be needed as long as people stayed civil but we all know how that turns out in practice right? The Safe Zone-thing _also_ ties in to the much hinted at but not yet publicly announced Cities-thing. When that goes up I'm sure you'll understand the reasoning behind it a tad more.

And before _someone_ starts using that "If they want protection, they must donate"-crap again. It's a fucking DONATION with benefits not a Korean MMO Cash Shop. You need to keep the majority of players happy, not just the few with access to daddies credit card.
    Krellyn
    Krellyn

Post by Krellyn 2011-06-18, 03:26

FillerB wrote:(On a sidenote: I can't believe that you are the first one to come with a serious suggestion)

Yes, I know the 1 chunk/16 blocks area is excessively large and is practically unenforceable. Maybe we could lower the radius to 5 or 6, leaving a bit of wiggle room because of LOLNOTCH/Lag.

But I'm not sure people are actually understanding the reasoning behind the whole safe zone-crap. Not _only_ is it to protect against campers. It is also to protect players who are busy constructing a large _announced_ project, such as the statues. Yes, it makes the whole thing look a tad freebuildisch (is that a word?) but those usually have large amounts of blocks on them and aren't looking at there environments. True, the protection shouldn't even be needed as long as people stayed civil but we all know how that turns out in practice right? The Safe Zone-thing _also_ ties in to the much hinted at but not yet publicly announced Cities-thing. When that goes up I'm sure you'll understand the reasoning behind it a tad more.

And before _someone_ starts using that "If they want protection, they must donate"-crap again. It's a fucking DONATION with benefits not a Korean MMO Cash Shop. You need to keep the majority of players happy, not just the few with access to daddies credit card.

If that's the case, Filler, then people HAVE to announce their projects. Take this seriously, now:

Say someone just logs on and goes off to build his giant dirt penis... ZuWrath spots him and goes off to kill him, knowing full well that he didn't announce anything. He'd have no case, because he wouldn't have read the new rules.

If that's the case, maybe change the rule to make it more universal?
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-06-18, 03:38

I see you fail to appreciate the beauty of the rule.

If they don't know the rules and/or haven't announced the project then they apparently don't care enough about the server/project itself. Why should we help those who don't help themselves?

As for your dirt penis example: someone like that isn't going to have mass quantities of a resource (except dirt) in his backpack. So if you kill him, can you really speak of a big loss of materials?
    Krellyn
    Krellyn

Post by Krellyn 2011-06-18, 03:49

FillerB wrote:I see you fail to appreciate the beauty of the rule.

If they don't know the rules and/or haven't announced the project then they apparently don't care enough about the server/project itself. Why should we help those who don't help themselves?

As for your dirt penis example: someone like that isn't going to have mass quantities of a resource (except dirt) in his backpack. So if you kill him, can you really speak of a big loss of materials?

Gotcha. Also, a loophole I found: These rules imply that you can use fire in no-pvp areas... I don't think people would see it as a loophole as much as "Im allowed to do it"
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-06-18, 05:54

The use of Lava, Fire and Water in PvP-combat IS allowed provided that the party using it cleans it up afterwards.
    And as you can't have PvP-combat in a No-PvP zone...
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-06-18, 05:57

Setting people on fire does seem to work in a No-PvP zone.
    Pete
    Pete

Post by Pete 2011-06-18, 10:06

I once burnt Vespasian in spawn, he was AFK and there was a fireplace at the entrance of a store.
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

Post by PureCraft 2011-06-18, 19:35

good job Pete <3
    Its still pretty common, I heard ppl QQing last night <_<
    Lizardman
    Lizardman

Post by Lizardman 2011-06-22, 06:26

In topic Server Rules, Section 4, you neglected to add that the use of lava, fire, water and wolves in PvP in a PvP-free zone, e.g. New Orcshire, is strictly prohibited.

Further, under those same rule set, the slaying of another player's friendly wolves in a non-PvP area will result in a 1 day ban.
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-06-22, 06:40

The use of Lava, Fire and Water in PvP-combat IS allowed provided that the party using it cleans it up afterwards.

The fuck is so hard to understand about the "In PVP-combat" part of that rule Lizzie? You _can't_ have PvP-combat in a No-PvP zone. So you also _can't_ dump lava, fire, water or perform any other PvP-affiliated action in that zone. There's no need to add hundreds of situation-specific rules since they are all covered thanks to the wonderful world of generalization.
    Albuca
    Albuca
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Albuca 2011-06-22, 06:43

The problem is, people dont generalize...
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-06-22, 06:48

Then those people are "fucked over" by their own inability to understand simply rules. Hence the "Not understanding the rules is not an excuse for breaking them."-clause we have had for months.
    Albuca
    Albuca
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Albuca 2011-06-22, 06:53

My favorite part of the rules <3
    Lizardman
    Lizardman

Post by Lizardman 2011-06-22, 06:56

FillerB wrote:

The fuck is so hard to understand about the "In PVP-combat" part of that rule Lizzie? You _can't_ have PvP-combat in a No-PvP zone. So you also _can't_ dump lava, fire, water or perform any other PvP-affiliated action in that zone. There's no need to add hundreds of situation-specific rules since they are all covered thanks to the wonderful world of generalization.

I'm just covering dem loopholes (or as Yar calls em, goddamn loophills). Rules are not to be made general as then it's a matter of assumptions, which never end well.

Don't forget why McDonald's is now required to have "Caution! Contents may be hot!" on the sides of their coffee cups.
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-06-22, 06:57

Jarvisd actually coined the word 'loophill', so there!
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-06-22, 07:45

Lizardman wrote:
    I'm just covering dem loopholes (or as Yar calls em, goddamn loophills). Rules are not to be made general as then it's a matter of assumptions, which never end well.

I am not quite sure what's up to assumption about the term "No PvP-zone". Surely you agree with me that the meaning of putting the word "No" before the word "PvP" doesn't leave much of a gap.

Wait let me rephrase that: This is an European server. We aren't going to cater to American "sensibilities".
    Lizardman
    Lizardman

Post by Lizardman 2011-06-22, 07:47

It's not the no-pvp thing, it's the means in which peeps would PvP in said areas OR just light people on fire "for the lulz".
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-06-22, 07:49

Which is... you guessed it... PvP-combat.
    angelin
    angelin

Post by angelin 2011-06-30, 18:55

Build Rules

The use of Bedrock, TNT and Mob Spawners in your builds is not allowed.
    Building swastika's ("Nazi Cross") or similiar signs is not allowed.
    Pete
    Pete

Post by Pete 2011-07-01, 01:30

Ummmm... Am I the only one thinking the poster above me is a bot? >.<
    Lizardman
    Lizardman

Post by Lizardman 2011-07-01, 01:34

We've established it is a bot a while ago.
    John6328

Post by John6328 2011-07-08, 04:25

so im banned forever?
    Albuca
    Albuca
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Albuca 2011-07-08, 04:27

John6328 wrote:so im banned forever?

Well you never did read the rules, or the appeal rules or _follow_ them.
    So your chances of getting unbanned ATM are nil.
    But if you _do_ read them, and _do_ follow them, then make a _proper_ appeal topic in the _proper_ forum, then well see.

No promises, but you'll at least have a chance.

-A
    StodgY
    StodgY

Post by StodgY 2011-07-09, 07:14

Hmm, I think some rules kind be proven if it's true or not if it accurs. Look at the rule: "- Camping longer than 15 minutes at a time outside of a Safe Zone is not allowed."

"at the time" makes me think it could be walking away or go to ur house, put stuff in chest and return there. I think removing "at the time" is a better option.

New Rule?: The use of someone elses bed is NOT allowed.

You can use someone else's bed to spawn there. Meaning that when a door is open and I sneak in, lie in there bed and leave. Than when he is busy (with furnaces w/e) kill myself with no items, return to his home and kill him.

I still don't know what about this lol.

Also: "- The use of Donator+-abilities in PvP-combat is not allowed."

I may use Donator abilities to run away I think that should be listed in this rule. Or isn't that allowed anymore?

~StodgY
    FillerB
    FillerB

Post by FillerB 2011-07-09, 07:18

Running away like a sissy coward is effectively ending the PVP-combat so yeah that's still allowed. Using the compass to get a real advantage in combat, ie Magic Carpet, teleporting to get closer quickly, or teleporting away abit, heal and then run back is however NOT since non-donators do not have the same perks.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-04-28, 17:29