Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Orcworm's SMP Server

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to Orcworm's Minecraft SMP Server, located at: orcworm.co.uk

4 posters

Sad realization or temporary setback?

Sithun
    Sithun

Sad realization or temporary setback? Empty Sad realization or temporary setback?

Post by Sithun 2011-11-25, 06:57

Hello fellow players of this sweet server.
    I'm writing this up because i have a slight problem. I'm an unemployed lout, I wont deny that. I play on orcworms mostly between 10.00 to 17.00. This is a fine time for playing. Theres around 20 ppl online at that time. Theres next to no lag, and when it DOES lag, its over in half an hour, tops. Now comes the dilemma: I also play with my sweet and loving girlfriend. After we've had dinner i usually suggest to play some minecraft and ofcourse orcworm.co.uk is my firsthand choice.

Alas, this seems impossible. Because by the time we get to play, the server is full of all the kids from the timezones between spain and Finland, newly come home from school. Some more classy than others, some asking "Can i become an admin?" even though they've not actually contributing to anything on the server other than a loud splash at the bottom of the spawn tower and a howel right outside of spawn made from cobbleshit.

But i digress. My point is that the lag is unbearable by the time that me and my girlfriend wants to play, which in my meaning is the most important time of the day.

I've got a feeling that my question is going to be shot down, and certainly it must be one of the most asked question in any servers history (aside from "When can i be a member?"), but i feel that if I can get a decent answer or a satisfactory explanation to why the hell it lags so much in the afternoon, it will help me decide if i should spend the £10 on a donation or not. Surely that fancy server-machine is equipped to handle the boastful limit of "100 player-slots" without complaining, else why would Orc set such a limit?

I'm sorry if i come out as rude, this is my favorite server.
    strpr0wng

Sad realization or temporary setback? Empty Re: Sad realization or temporary setback?

Post by strpr0wng 2011-11-25, 07:04

try opening cmd and typing "ping orcworm.co.uk" then tell us the average latency, it might be you, not the server.
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Sad realization or temporary setback? Empty Re: Sad realization or temporary setback?

Post by Orcworm 2011-11-25, 07:16

Your IP:

Code:

root@orcworm ~ # ping 81.170.143.xxx
    PING 81.170.143.184 (81.170.143.xxx) 56(84) bytes of data.
    ^C
    --- 81.170.143.xxx ping statistics ---
    9 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 8003ms

My IP:

Code:

root@orcworm ~ # ping 78.41.200.58
    PING 78.41.200.58 (78.41.200.58) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 78.41.200.58: icmp_req=1 ttl=56 time=13.3 ms
    64 bytes from 78.41.200.58: icmp_req=2 ttl=56 time=13.3 ms
    64 bytes from 78.41.200.58: icmp_req=3 ttl=56 time=13.3 ms
    64 bytes from 78.41.200.58: icmp_req=4 ttl=56 time=13.4 ms
    ^C
    --- 78.41.200.58 ping statistics ---
    4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3002ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 13.369/13.394/13.429/0.143 ms

i.e. Someone cut through your internet line -- either that or Hetzner just doesn't link well with Sweden. Do we even have any other Swedes here to compare?

Edit: Was just looking at your post history:

"what i find most amusing is the "10 terrabyte per month" limitation on the server, which were i live is an almost extinct concept for non-wireless (dubbel-negations all up in this bitch) internet connections. Orcworm should start looking for a better ISP."

I get the feeling you think you know what you're talking about but don't really ;p.

Sithun
    Sithun

Post by Sithun 2011-11-25, 07:38

Ok, that just pisses me off. I can ping the server just fine now, with a response time of ~25ms. And to make some things clear, i do know what im talking about. But i will concede that we might have differing opinions of what "10 terrabyte per month" means. I apologize for sounding condescending in that post.

To keep on the topic, the reason i've not considered my connection to be the problem is because i have had no problems with this internet-connection before. I will try to keep an eye open the next time i encounter any lag problems and traceroute the connection. Hopefully that will tell where the problem is. Do you have any other suggestion to what i should do next time i encounter lag?
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-11-25, 08:24

Wait until it stops, pretty much. I can't exactly spin any bullshit since that's all there is that either of us can really do. If there were 10 other threads like this stating similar problems then I would consider the server's network to be the problem but considering we were averaging 65-70 this evening (Last time it was that high was about March) I doubt that's the case.
    The_Music_Man
    The_Music_Man

Post by The_Music_Man 2011-11-25, 08:28

In reality Sith, a big part of this lag is people exploring and generating new chunks, which creates more lag the most of anything else.
    For instance:
    Last time we started a new map=~175-250 ping (As opposed to my regular 25-50) for the first few days whilst people were exploring.
    This time:The EXACT same. Albiet a little less, because of the map limits.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-07, 18:24