Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Orcworm's SMP Server

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to Orcworm's Minecraft SMP Server, located at: orcworm.co.uk

+5
Rulyon
Orcworm
PureCraft
FillerB
NeroTheDarklord
9 posters

Economy suggestion topic

NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Economy suggestion topic Empty Economy suggestion topic

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-04-06, 00:14

For those who are not familiar with the ways economy works and why the bad economy of the last map was one of the main discussion points ill quickly explain it to you before we come to the actual suggestions:

Every player online on orcworms server automaticaly produces 1 gil every minute.Got disabled... the only way to make gil now is if you kill an animal or monster.

Now, it sure is a good thing when you have a lot of money so you can buy everything you want... but if there is just way too much money beeing procuded, the prices of items will drop, making you pay more and more for the same item.
    Lets take cobblestone for an example. A stack of cobblestone is worth around 0.1 gil on a server that has few money. But on a server with a lot of money, the same stack can be worth 2 or 3 gil. Now imagine the same thing with rare items!

Since there is money beeing produced all the time, there must also be a way to destroy money, or else the economy will crash.

The pattern works like this: Money produced -> Transfered between players -> destroyed

Now that we have this sorted out, lets get to the main topic.

I created this thread so people can discuss and post sugggestions of how to effectively and senibly destroy money.

My ideas, to begin the discussion, are:

Special commands: As already known, you can get a piece of the map zoned so its under your protection. But maybe we can add several commands that cost gil to use. Like temporarely taking no fall damage or beeing able to destroy every none-zoned block to make it go in your inventory... just an idea so you get what i mean.

New materials: Maybe admins can set up shops with special blocks that are eighter not gained naturaly at all, or even create new, intressting blocks with intressting behaviors. Lets go crazy and say stuff like water that flows in inverted gravity direction for example, or rivers of milk. Maybe seeds for apple trees or anything that would be sweet for construction and decoration purposes!

Admin shops: Another idea to considder would be to create an admin shop inside spawn city that provides you easy access to ALL natural resources for a sensible price. This would not only give acces to stuff players need in case of emergency but also give newbies a rough idea what things are worth.

Thats it for my ideas now. Let the discussion begin!

Last edited by NeroTheDarklord on 2011-04-06, 05:38; edited 1 time in total
    FillerB
    FillerB
    So long and thanks for all the fish!

Economy suggestion topic Empty Re: Economy suggestion topic

Post by FillerB 2011-04-06, 00:16

NeroTheDarklord wrote:Every player online on orcworms server automaticaly produces 1 gil every minute. In addition of that, you gain extra money everytime you kill an animal or monster.

The 1gil/minute is disabled. Only way to make money is by killing mobs or by selling stuff to the server shops in NOS.
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

Post by PureCraft 2011-04-06, 00:22

We could sell sponge and stationary water.
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-04-06, 01:16

There definitely needs to be some form of money sink. I'm thinking commands that can be 'rented' for a specific duration may be useful for when lower ranked players have too much money.
    Rulyon
    Rulyon
    Donator
    Donator

Post by Rulyon 2011-04-06, 01:17

How would this be done, though? Special "Command ranks"? Or can you give permissions to individual players as well as ranks?
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-04-06, 01:20

If my memory serves me correctly there's a plugin out there that links with iConomy and allows players to use a command for so much currency every time. I assume the commands that can be rented can be defined in the plugin's config file.
    Vespasian
    Vespasian

Post by Vespasian 2011-04-06, 05:37

Orcworm wrote:There definitely needs to be some form of money sink. I'm thinking commands that can be 'rented' for a specific duration may be useful for when lower ranked players have too much money.

How would the lower ranked players ever get too much money?

Right now since you don't gain 1 gil a minute, each player brings 500 gil into the economy.

The only thing introducing new money into the system are admin shops that have infinite gil to sell. Otherwise, there would only be a static amount of gil in the server, and that number would constantly drop whenever people died, since they lose gil, etc.

Eventually deflation would make money super valuable, where 1 gil could buy 10 diamonds or something. Very Happy

Out of curiosity, does iConomy have a way to monitor the total amount of gil in circulation? That would be very useful for seeing whether there is more money being introduced, or more money being lost via death.
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-04-06, 05:39

Actually, with mobs now dropping Gil players could technically end up with more than they would've with the 1gil / min. scheme.

And yes, through /money stats, although I'm not sure if you have the permissions for it or not.
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-04-06, 05:46

Will the /pw command come back?
    If so i got an idea for the purchasable commands.
    How about beeing able to purchase additional warp points?
    Vespasian
    Vespasian

Post by Vespasian 2011-04-06, 05:47

Without the admin shops introducing money into the economy through selling, now killing mobs is the only way to generate new money.

Other methods just take money from other players (ie auction, etc).

/money stats doesn't do anything for me, does it say whether the amount of money in the economy is going up or down? This could be key for banks and city treasuries and stuff like that.
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-04-06, 05:48

That's set through the config file on a per-group basis, so I don't think it'd work unfortunately.

And no, it only states the total amount of Gil from all player accounts added together, it would be nice if it showed a daily increase or decrease though.
    Vespasian
    Vespasian

Post by Vespasian 2011-04-06, 05:54

Ah, thats unfortunate.

But technically it would be easy to see anyway, by just checking the amount of money in the server every once in a while. You'd see if it was going up or down.
    If a bunch of people join and never log on again, or don't pay anyone, then that money is essentially not in the economy. That will be the tricky part.
    patrickfreed
    patrickfreed
    Forum Staff
    Forum Staff

Post by patrickfreed 2011-04-06, 05:58

There is a command iconomy thing out there, But it works Like everytime you use x command, you spend y amount. It's not like you can "rent" commands, unless you get permissions plus and just modify the permissions for that player in-game, which is a hell of a lot easier than editing the config
    *I think*
    Vespasian
    Vespasian

Post by Vespasian 2011-04-06, 06:02

Interesting fact: the less money you have, the easier it is to generate new money for the economy (by killing mobs).

If you have 500 gil, you only lose 5 gil for dying. So you only need to kill 5 mobs without dying to break even.

But if you have 10 000 gil, you need to kill 100 mobs without dying before you add a gil to the server. So it's up to the new guys to generate gil.

Fortunately I haven't died yet on the new server Very Happy
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-04-06, 06:12

If you die in PvP... guess where your 1% goes.
    Baldymoint7
    Baldymoint7

Post by Baldymoint7 2011-04-06, 06:36

The Nether? Oh to you and you om nom nom destroy it.
    Vespasian
    Vespasian

Post by Vespasian 2011-04-06, 08:26

Orcworm wrote:If you die in PvP... guess where your 1% goes.

Hahah, awesome.

Question: if people buy stuff from the admin store, does that money leave the economy?
    Yarwood
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Yarwood 2011-04-06, 09:37

Vespasian wrote:
    Orcworm wrote:If you die in PvP... guess where your 1% goes.

Hahah, awesome.

Question: if people buy stuff from the admin store, does that money leave the economy?

Yes

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-20, 22:09