Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Orcworm's SMP Server

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to Orcworm's Minecraft SMP Server, located at: orcworm.co.uk

+5
Yarwood
GoDjMike
Monstaboi
Orcworm
NeroTheDarklord
9 posters

Performance improve = Nether/Aether?

NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Performance improve = Nether/Aether? Empty Performance improve = Nether/Aether?

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-04-22, 09:15

Let me get one thing straight right away:
    Im doing this suggestion for my brother SPGiygas.

He suggested that, since the newest update provided a performance improvement, we could experimentaly reopen the nether to see if it would still lag the server of if that problem would be solved now.
    Also, we might want to try the aether. For what i know the aether is very far developed by now and if the performance allows it, then why not have two new worlds aswell? As long as the server can handle it without lag...
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Performance improve = Nether/Aether? Empty Re: Performance improve = Nether/Aether?

Post by Orcworm 2011-04-22, 09:21

What is the aether?
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Performance improve = Nether/Aether? Empty Re: Performance improve = Nether/Aether?

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-04-22, 09:26

Orcworm wrote:What is the aether?

The Aether is, sorry to say, a mod.
    You guys already know the nether, which represents the minecraft hell.
    The Aether represents the minecraft heaven. It is a large, strange place floating high above the world that has magic trees, tons of new resources and blocks and very strange creatures.
    It also features holy dungeons with unique treasures.
    Though to reach the aether, you have to go to the nether first, since you have to get glowstones to make an aether portal.
    Another thing: You know water is banned in the nether... if you try to place water there, it will instandly turn into steam. Same goes for the aether and fire. You cant burn anything in the aether.
    The aether portal looks a lot like the nether portal, just made out of glowstone and activated by spilling a bucket of water in it.

I personaly think it is a super awesome mod that i would very much like to try out at least once.
    Monstaboi
    Monstaboi

Post by Monstaboi 2011-04-22, 09:29

i would love to see the aether, it looks really awesome.
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-04-22, 09:29

Hm, would mean everyone would have to download it = would fail in the end.

I'll try Nether again once we're on 1.5 though.
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-04-22, 09:30

Monstaboi wrote:i would love to see the aether, it looks really awesome.
    Thats what im talking about! I actualy wanted to download the mod for my singleplayer game, but i couldnt manage to catch an up-to-date version yet.

And orcworm... thanks Razz
    you know you could make the aether optional. People who want to explore it can download the nessessary stuff while those who are not intressted dont need to.

Last edited by NeroTheDarklord on 2011-04-22, 09:32; edited 1 time in total
    GoDjMike
    GoDjMike

Post by GoDjMike 2011-04-22, 09:31

Heres the offical forum link with lots of screenshots http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=211244
    Monstaboi
    Monstaboi

Post by Monstaboi 2011-04-22, 09:31

its one o them client sides? that sucks.
    Yarwood
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Yarwood 2011-04-22, 09:34

Whilst I like the idea, no server mod/plugin that requires the client to modify their own files will ever be successful on the Orcworm server, let alone any other public server.
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-04-22, 09:35

Yarwood wrote:Whilst I like the idea, no server mod/plugin that requires the client to modify their own files will ever be successful on the Orcworm server, let alone any other public server.
    Well your right. It was just a suggestion of my bro. But that could be solved by just giving people the option to play the server without the mod if they dont want to explore the aether
    patrickfreed
    patrickfreed
    Forum Staff
    Forum Staff

Post by patrickfreed 2011-04-22, 12:31

Orcworm wrote:Hm, would mean everyone would have to download it = would fail in the end.

The nether with 75+ online? *shivers*

Yarwood wrote:Whilst I like the idea, no server mod/plugin that requires the client to modify their own files will ever be successful on the Orcworm server, let alone any other public server.
    'cept for this.
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-04-22, 12:38

patrickfreed wrote:
    Orcworm wrote:Hm, would mean everyone would have to download it = would fail in the end.

The nether with 75+ online? *shivers*

The difference being one world would be loaded off of ram, I'm still doubting the CPU considering the server is still only single threaded.
    magicmaker2oo2
    magicmaker2oo2

Post by magicmaker2oo2 2011-04-22, 16:08

As far a i know according to some post i've seen, what notch ment by "performance improvements" mainly consist in :

- OpenGL use
    - Occlusion Culling (OC)
    - GUI Size

This all consist on client side FPS improvement, nowhere i've seen server ram, cpu, etc usage was improved (actually MC client takes even more ram now than before)

This said, the nether & aether would still be a great addition to the server. i agree with that Smile more exploration, ressources, mobs, places to build
    FillerB
    FillerB
    So long and thanks for all the fish!

Post by FillerB 2011-04-22, 19:29

Occlusion Culling? It's about damn time. Now does it actually work or not...
    magicmaker2oo2
    magicmaker2oo2

Post by magicmaker2oo2 2011-04-22, 22:42

would be nice eh if it worked perfectly ? :p

but for some reason i dont really trust notch's updates stability ^^

Edit : i thought again about nether, correct me if im wrong but wouldnt the nether map be limited to 1/8 of actual map size (due to fixed map borders) ? That would only be a small part around the spawn accepting portals :S unless there's a nether mod correcting this somehow
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-04-23, 00:49

There are a lot of nether plugins that all vary, some only allow portals to be created in a defined space on each map, then the locations in each world are hard linked to each other.

Other plugins allow players to create nether portals wherever they wish but their end location is random rather than specific - I get the feeling using that would create a problem with our border...
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-04-23, 09:29

Orcworm wrote:There are a lot of nether plugins that all vary, some only allow portals to be created in a defined space on each map, then the locations in each world are hard linked to each other.

Other plugins allow players to create nether portals wherever they wish but their end location is random rather than specific - I get the feeling using that would create a problem with our border...
    Easy thing orcworm:
    Only allow currently created nether portals to access the nether and make a temp portal in the spawn tower of orcshire.
    There are still a couple of empty rooms in there. Anything newly created, especialy while inside the nether, will not lead between the worlds.
    Or no, lets make it even surer there wont be expansions and only make one portal go to the nether, which would be in orcshire. As long as wer just testing if the nether works, this should be fine
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-04-23, 10:32

Yeah, I'm thinking a portal in the spawn tower would be enough, last time I tried it the worldguard spawn region had problems, hopefully won't repeat.
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-04-24, 01:46

Orcworm wrote:Yeah, I'm thinking a portal in the spawn tower would be enough, last time I tried it the worldguard spawn region had problems, hopefully won't repeat.

Exploring the nether is one of my favorite activities in minecraft so let me know when its up!
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-04-24, 02:00

Have been trying it out on my test server, all plugins seem to work well on 1.5, the only problem being the new 'anti-cheat' mechanism that's been implemented by Notch. Whenever you move to another world the game kicks you on suspicion of hacking, seems to be hard-coded in so there's nothing I can do about it >_>. You can rejoin and continue to play as normal, just an inconvenience.
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-04-24, 02:07

Ah so to sum it up: When you travel between worlds, you just get kicked and play the world you went to after rejoining?
    I can live with that! Bring on the hell world!
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-04-24, 02:08

Yeah.

(You also spawn on top of the world in the nether some times, but /spawn fixes that)
    NeroTheDarklord
    NeroTheDarklord

Post by NeroTheDarklord 2011-04-24, 02:10

Allright! Cant wait!
    Lizardman
    Lizardman

Post by Lizardman 2011-04-24, 02:31

Question to Orc:

Will that make NoCheat go apeshit?
    Orcworm
    Orcworm
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Orcworm 2011-04-24, 02:33

It shouldn't do but I haven't really tested NoCheat since I have all permissions.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-13, 12:09