Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Orcworm's SMP Server

We have moved to http://www.orcworm.co.uk

Orcworm's SMP Server

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to Orcworm's Minecraft SMP Server, located at: orcworm.co.uk

+11
GaMerG77
Kn16h7
Lizardman
patrickfreed
nihluz
Krellyn
PureCraft
Ciphon
thebadhatter
Spxify
Mati
15 posters

The ultimate Improved Chat guide!

Mati
    Mati

The ultimate Improved Chat guide! Empty The ultimate Improved Chat guide!

Post by Mati 2011-06-16, 22:54

Hello,
    since I think improved chat is extremely use- and helpful, I thought I should write a guide on it, so everyone can use all of its awesome features as well! Very Happy It's rather long, but I recommend to work through it because it really pays off! Besides the usual powerful additions you will learn how to modify or block messages, how to execute multiple commands at once, having multiple chat boxes for private chats/auctions, and more!

So let's start right away:

1. Improved Chat Overview
    Improved Chat is a minecraft mod created by "wd1966" with the goal to increase the usability and possibilities of the (very basic) built-in chat.

The most important features are:
    • Scrollable chat
    • Copy/Paste lines
    • Access to previously typed messages
    • Moveable cursor while typing
    • Several chat manipulation possibilities
    • Executing several commands at once (with scripts)
    • Tabs

2. Installation
    Visit the topic on the minecraft forums ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]) and download the newest version (currently: Version 2.4.6 for Beta 1.6.6).

Open your minecraft.jar (located at %appdata%\.minecraft\bin) with Winrar (or similar), and add/replace the downloaded files to the JAR-file.

If you only have this Mod running, it should work without Mod Loader, but I recommend an installation of Mod loader before the installation of improved chat in case you are going to have multiple mods.

After installation, you can check if its running by just typing "~" in chat, and see if you get a response.

3. Basic Commands
    Some basic commands to start off with:

Clear chat: ~clear
    Stop/Start chat: ~stop and ~start
    Change chatbox color: ~bgColor <color> (<color> = blue,red,green,yellow,black(default)... -> see .minecraft\mods\wd1966\colors.txt)
    Change chatbox opacity: ~bgOpacity <val> (<val> = 0-100)
    Copy/Paste Lines: Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V
    Access previous messages: Up-Arrow

4. Binds
    Binds are usefull for sending messages by just pressing a key.

Usage: ~bind <key> <message>
    Examples: ~bind h /home, ~bind l &4Anyone got diamonds for sale?, ~bind m /pw goto dungeon,...

5. Filters
    Filters are usefull to manipulate chat messages. You can either replace whole messages (with something else, or nothing, making them dissapear), or store specific parts of messages (ie. the player name) in a variable for later use.

In order to create filter rules, regular expression will be applied, and I guess the majority of you haven't heard of that yet. You can either figure this topic out yourself (as explaining this topic would make the tutorial explode), or just refer to the examples, and using only simple and basic expressions.

Usage: ~[input|output|display] <regex> <repl>
    Usage: ~var <name> <regex>

Explanation
    input refers to incoming messages
    output refers to outgoing messages
    display refers to the typing field
    regex is a regular expression
    repl is any kind of replacement and can also be nothing (=space)
    name is the name of the variable to store the content matched by the regular expression and can be used later by $name

Example: Block "Notice: Your derp is locked ..." message
    This message is an incoming message, and therefore we want to create an ~input rule.

Now you'll learn about a basic regular expression which matches a whole message containing a specific characterstring: .*Notice:.*locked.*
    As you can assume .* stands for "anything" and the expression is saying: "Match anything followed by Notice:, then match anything again followed by locked, and then match the rest of the message as well".
    With this expression we "catch" the whole message containing the message we want to block.
    Now we just need the replacement, which is in our case nothing (= " "), since we want it to be removed.

Therefore, the whole command to add this filter rule is: "~input .*Notice:.*locked.+ " - notice the 2 spaces after the regular expression - one space to seperate the regex from the replacement, and one space for the empty replacement.

Now this message will be blocked.

I think you can figure out similar usages as well with this example - for example blocking messages from a player. Wink

6. Scripts
    Scripts allow the execution of one or more commands at once.

Usage: ~script <filename> (<filename> is the name of the textfile stored at .minecraft\mods\wd1966).

Inside the script you just add one command or message per line.

Example: Unlimited PW's
    Note the coordinates of the spot, and create a new textfile using as name however you want to name your PW, and remove the .txt extension.
    Next, write /tp x,y,z into the text file.
    Save it, and you can use ~script name already to teleport to your location!

More concrete: I am at the spot I want my PW to and press F3 to get X,Y, and Z. Then I create a textfile in .minecraft\mods\wd1966 with the name pw1 (or w/e) WITHOUT .txt, and write /tp X,Y,Z (using the coordinates I just noted). Now I use it with ~script pw1. That's it.

7. Tabs
    Improved chat even makes it possible to use multiple chatboxes. This can be usefull to have your own chatbox where you put private messages, or auctions in, to have a better overview.

Usage
    Create tab: ~tab <name>
    Close tab: ~close
    Enable/Disable blinking on messages: ~blink [on|off]
    Switch between the chatboxes: ~move tab 0 1 (I recommend to bind that to a key so you can switch fast)

Add tracking rule to chatbox: ~track <regex>
    Add ignore rule to chatbox: ~ignore <regex>

Explanation: The tracking rule checks all incoming messages, and if the regex matches, it will be displayed in the tab (if there is no ignore rule to block it).

Example: Auction Tab
    I wanted to have all the auctions in a seperate tab without getting spammed by them in the main chat. When a new auction is created, the Auction tab should blink, and I can quickly have a look and switch back to the main chatbox if it isn't interesting.

So first, I created a new tab called "Auction": ~tab Auction
    Then, I defined, what messages should be "tracked" by this tab - everything starting with "[AUCTION]": ~track \[AUCTION\] (NOTE: "[" is a special regex-character, so it need to be prefixed with "\")
    Then, I made a key binding to switch between chatboxes: ~bind r ~move tab 0 1
    Then, I switched to the main chat and added the ignore rule for auctions: ~ignore \[AUCTION\]
    And in the end, I enabled blinking, so I switched back to my auction tab and executed: ~blink on

And that's it - now I have the effect that all auction messages are getting redirected to a seperate chat window! You can modify this one a bit to create a "private message" tab also.

8. List and delete elements
    Of course it's possible to display all your binds/filters/etc or delete them.

Usage:
    ~list <type> (<type> is "bind", "input", ... see ~list)
    ~delete <type> <id> (<id> is the number of the filter rule (check with ~list) or a key)

Examples: ~delete bind h, ~delete input 0,...

I hope you find this usefull and you're going to use some of these awesome features! Very Happy

Last edited by Mati on 2011-06-20, 10:24; edited 1 time in total
    Spxify

The ultimate Improved Chat guide! Empty Re: The ultimate Improved Chat guide!

Post by Spxify 2011-06-17, 00:59

This is just pure awesomeness! Thanks a lot Mati, I knew you'd get into this lol. Very Happy
    Mati
    Mati

Post by Mati 2011-06-17, 01:55

In Chapter 5 I have mentioned variables - however I gave no example, as for its use you should know regular expressions to parse out specific character strings within messages, and that's very technical.

So I wanted to add two quick and usefull tutorials to demonstrate the use of variables, without mentioning the technical background.

Note: If you've read my guide you should know that you can copy/paste these commands ;)

Tutorial 1: Private Message Responder
    Step 1: Add filter to parse out the nickname from a private message, and store them in a variable
    ~var player (?<=From).+(?=\):)

Step 2: Bind a key for the response
    ~bind u /msg '$player' \

Tutorial 2: Compact auction display
    Step 1: Add filters to parse out auction arguments, and store them in a variable

~var item (?<=Auctioned Item: ).+
    ~var amount (?<=Amount: ).+
    ~var price (?<=Starting Price: ).+
    ~var owner (?<=Owner: ).+

Step 2: Add input replacement rule (replace last auction info message with a compact auction info message using those variables):

~input .*?\[AUCTION\].*?Owner:.* &ce[AUCTION]/&c $item &cf//&c $amount &cf//&c $price &cf//&c $owner

Step 3: Block the rest of the unneeded auction messages:

~ignore \[AUCTION\] (Auction Started!|Auctioned Item:|Amount:|Starting Price:|Your items)

RESULT: [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I for myself have this in use for the main chat atm, and think it's even better than a seperate auction tab.

Last edited by Mati on 2011-06-17, 08:18; edited 4 times in total
    thebadhatter
    thebadhatter

Post by thebadhatter 2011-06-17, 07:30

If you've had a play around with it and want to reset it all to the default (i.e. everything you've done is deleted) is there a quick way of doing that?
    Mati
    Mati

Post by Mati 2011-06-17, 07:34

Delete "ImprovedChat.xml" in .minecraft\mods\wd1966.

p.s.: Tutorial "Private Message Responder" added.
    Ciphon
    Ciphon

Post by Ciphon 2011-06-17, 14:58

im having a problem running this mod (and any other one for that matter) on my mac, ive tried it a million different ways, a million times, with and without mod-loader. deleted my meta-inf and everything. Albuca even gave me a copy of a minecraft.jar with improved chat already installed, and it still didnt work. if anyone could help me out that would be great, whoever can sort out my problems, and allow my computer to install mods gets 500gil. but since im on a mac... well... could be hard
    PureCraft
    PureCraft

Post by PureCraft 2011-06-18, 00:36

Its the macs fault, it wont let you modify shit.
    Krellyn
    Krellyn

Post by Krellyn 2011-06-18, 02:52

There are actually things in here I didn't know, man. Thanks, Mati Very Happy
    Ciphon
    Ciphon

Post by Ciphon 2011-06-18, 06:37

PureCraft wrote:Its the macs fault, it wont let you modify shit.

lol most macs dont have problems installing mods, mine just does for some reason
    nihluz

Post by nihluz 2011-06-18, 21:05

Awesome! Thankz Mati.
    Ciphon this video might help you out Very Happy
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by patrickfreed on 2011-06-19, 09:33; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : merging)
    patrickfreed
    patrickfreed
    Forum Staff
    Forum Staff

Post by patrickfreed 2011-06-19, 09:20

Don't triple post and read the forum rules please. There is an edit button at the bottom corner of every one of your posts. The forum rules are linked at the top of every page and in my signature.
    Ciphon
    Ciphon

Post by Ciphon 2011-06-19, 11:13

nihluz wrote:Awesome! Thankz Mati.
    Ciphon this video might help you out Very Happy
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

that's the first video i've watched to try to install improved chat. So yea, it didn't work
    Lizardman
    Lizardman

Post by Lizardman 2011-06-21, 05:07

Major props to Mati for this. I'm really liking the unlimited pw's. :3
    Spxify

Post by Spxify 2011-07-06, 06:40

I tried playing without "Improved Chat" for several days, but life isn't as easy as having it installed, to be honest, life without is worthless.

EDIT: Is it possible to bind /jumpto and /thru to my MOUSE4 and MOUSE5, I don't know their key names for in MC (in c-s 1.6 it is MOUSE4 and MOUSE5), these are the side buttons of my mouse. Any suggestions? Also, is it possible to delete a ~ignore? I've ignored something wrong and I want to be able to see it again :#

I probably managed to delete the ~ignore by the config file by now.

Last edited by Spxify on 2011-07-06, 08:23; edited 1 time in total
    Kn16h7
    Kn16h7
    Banned
    Banned

Post by Kn16h7 2011-07-06, 08:15

Spxify wrote:I tried playing without "Improved Chat" for several days, but life isn't as easy as having it installed, to be honest, life without is worthless.

EDIT: Is it possible to bind /jumpto and /thru to my MOUSE4 and MOUSE5, I don't know their key names for in MC (in c-s 1.6 it is MOUSE4 and MOUSE5), these are the side buttons of my mouse. Any suggestions? Also, is it possible to delete a ~ignore? I've ignored something wrong and I want to be able to see it again :#

Usage:
    ~delete <type> <id> (<id> is the number of the filter rule (check with ~list) or a key)

Spxify

Post by Spxify 2011-07-06, 08:43

Kn16h7 wrote:
    Spxify wrote:I tried playing without "Improved Chat" for several days, but life isn't as easy as having it installed, to be honest, life without is worthless.

Usage:

I did the wrong command first: "~delete ignore \[AUCTION\]", but it should've been: "~delete ~ignore [\AUCTION\]".
    Mati
    Mati

Post by Mati 2011-07-06, 19:55

If anyone still hasn't found it yet:
    Improved Chat for 1.7.2: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Chat Logger for 1.7.2: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I mention chat logger because it's a really usefull mod as well which should be a feature of improved chat actually.

Glad you realized.

EDIT: Is it possible to bind /jumpto and /thru to my MOUSE4 and MOUSE5, I don't know their key names for in MC (in c-s 1.6 it is MOUSE4 and MOUSE5), these are the side buttons of my mouse. Any suggestions?
    Each key has a unique number (see config file), try to get the numbers of your buttons.

Also, is it possible to delete a ~ignore? I've ignored something wrong and I want to be able to see it again :#
    Nope, that's possibly the only thing you can't ~delete, so yep, you have to manually remove it from the config file.
    GaMerG77
    GaMerG77
    Donator
    Donator

Post by GaMerG77 2011-07-07, 10:23

Where do I go to view the Log from ChatLogger? Nvm Found it, but it is a TON of logs Smile Anyway to break it into lines?
    Mati
    Mati

Post by Mati 2011-07-07, 11:30

GaMerG77 wrote:Anyway to break it into lines?
    That's because you open it with standard windows notepad. If you open it with a proper editor it's getting displayed properly.

Anyways: In order to keep the log in a notepad-friendly format, modify the second line of ChatLogger.conf:
    format=EEE, d MMM yyyy HH:mm:ss '-' $line'\r\n'
    GaMerG77
    GaMerG77
    Donator
    Donator

Post by GaMerG77 2011-07-07, 11:40

Mati wrote:
    GaMerG77 wrote:Anyway to break it into lines?
    That's because you open it with standard windows notepad. If you open it with a proper editor it's getting displayed properly.

Anyways: In order to keep the log in a notepad-friendly format, modify the second line of ChatLogger.conf:
    format=EEE, d MMM yyyy HH:mm:ss '-' $line'\r\n'

Thanks, now using Microsoft Word Viewer to open it.
    DoughnutSpanker
    DoughnutSpanker
    Donator
    Donator

Post by DoughnutSpanker 2011-07-09, 18:02

Will this have to be updated for 1.7.3?
    GaMerG77
    GaMerG77
    Donator
    Donator

Post by GaMerG77 2011-07-10, 07:13

DoughnutSpanker wrote:Will this have to be updated for 1.7.3?

Hey, It worked for me Razz

Just go to the wiki and do all the steps.
    Monstaboi
    Monstaboi

Post by Monstaboi 2011-07-10, 07:23

is this compatible with zanminimap?
    GaMerG77
    GaMerG77
    Donator
    Donator

Post by GaMerG77 2011-07-10, 07:26

Monstaboi wrote:is this compatible with zanminimap?

I've never tried with Zan but the install steps include it.
    ddrjm

Post by ddrjm 2011-07-15, 05:31

GaMerG77 wrote:

ehhh....What wiki? o.O
    GaMerG77
    GaMerG77
    Donator
    Donator

Post by GaMerG77 2011-07-15, 07:04

ddrjm wrote:
    GaMerG77 wrote:

ehhh....What wiki? o.O
    Doesn't exist anymore Razz
    You get 7-Zip ( or WinRAR, I recommend 7-Zip )
    Get the mods you want in a file
    Use an mcpatcher to back up your .minecraft jar
    Extract the mods to themselves since most are compressed
    Then, Drag all the files inside the mods
    Not very detailed, I guess, but It should work if you try it.
    ddrjm

Post by ddrjm 2011-07-15, 22:46

GaMerG77 wrote:
    ddrjm wrote:
    GaMerG77 wrote:

ehhh....What wiki? o.O
    lemme see if i got it straight, I need a clean get a clean minecraft.jar, get all the mods i want (in my case zan's minimap, improved chat and spc/WorldEdit) into a zip and with winrar i install them all-in-one go? any specific order on what to install first? i heard improved chat has some compatibilty issues Mad
    ddrjm

Post by ddrjm 2011-07-16, 06:35

bump Very Happy
    Albuca
    Albuca
    In-Game Staff
    In-Game Staff

Post by Albuca 2011-07-16, 06:50

Evil or Very Mad me no like bumps.

PM instead.
    GaMerG77
    GaMerG77
    Donator
    Donator

Post by GaMerG77 2011-07-16, 09:26

ddrjm wrote:
    GaMerG77 wrote:
    ddrjm wrote:
    GaMerG77 wrote:

ehhh....What wiki? o.O
    lemme see if i got it straight, I need a clean get a clean minecraft.jar, get all the mods i want (in my case zan's minimap, improved chat and spc/WorldEdit) into a zip and with winrar i install them all-in-one go? any specific order on what to install first? i heard improved chat has some compatibilty issues Mad
    No specific order, or atleast for me, but whenever I use all those three mods together the worldedit function/commands on SP don't work.
    And use 7-Zip
    Make sure they are file folders and not compressed you do that by right-clicking the folder and extracting it to itself.
    Spoiler:
    Next open the minecraft jar with 7-Zip and drag all the files inside the mods you want downloaded. Done, don't know the compatibility issues that it will bring but Zan's and ImprovedChat should work just fine, and If you really want SinglePlayer Commands, you are going to have to use it w/o the WorldEdit function.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-09, 06:04